My Podcast: Celtic Myths & Legends

Theda Baratheon

21 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

yes - they're similar to the Welsh Cwn Annwn I mentioned. It would be great to do an episode comparing the fairies/fae of the celtic nations!

That would be really interesting, I’m looking forward to telling baby Sith all these sort of stories when she’s older-and won’t get nightmares!.

19 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

That would be really interesting, I’m looking forward to telling baby Sith all these sort of stories when she’s older-and won’t get nightmares!.

Hey I just found out there’s a spectral dog in Manx folklore and my next episode Ian on Manx legends so I’ll see about including it!!! 

Also yes I really wish more children were exposed to spoken storytelling - I used to love when my dad would tell me stories 

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Hey I just found out there’s a spectral dog in Manx folklore and my next episode Ian on Manx legends so I’ll see about including it!!! 

Also yes I really wish more children were exposed to spoken storytelling - I used to love when my dad would tell me stories 

Great, I will look forward to it :).

I’m always singing to her at the moment while I practice guitar or piano and she loves it so I’m sure she will love being read stories when she’s older too (she’s only 7.5 months at the moment so going to be a while)

3 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Great, I will look forward to it :).

I’m always singing to her at the moment while I practice guitar or piano and she loves it so I’m sure she will love being read stories when she’s older too (she’s only 7.5 months at the moment so going to be a while)

I used to get him to read me the hobbit all the time lol. Bless her !! 

• 1 month later...

Im going to be on an episode of The History of Vikings which I think is quite a popular history podcast! I’m very excited but also a bit nervous lol! I don’t have any Vikings expertise or knowledge really but I’ll be discussing Celtic otherworlds and hopefully people will find that interesting!!! 

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Im going to be on an episode of The History of Vikings which I think is quite a popular history podcast! I’m very excited but also a bit nervous lol! I don’t have any Vikings expertise or knowledge really but I’ll be discussing Celtic otherworlds and hopefully people will find that interesting!!! 

That is really cool Theda. I have been busy with stuff here at home and have not had much time for other interests lately. I will be looking for the Viking podcast now though.

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

That is really cool Theda. I have been busy with stuff here at home and have not had much time for other interests lately. I will be looking for the Viking podcast now though.

Recording it on Thursday but have no idea when it will be uploaded! Super excited - I had another person ask me to come on their show when they start it. Quite chuffed actually that some people seem to really enjoy what I’m doing :) I wish I could be more prolific ! Maybe when my MA is over 

Oh nice! Don't think I've ever tried that one, so a better reason than most to check it out.

One thing that seems to be nice about (parts of?) the podcast world is this willingness to cooperate and work with others.

13 hours ago, Seli said:

Oh nice! Don't think I've ever tried that one, so a better reason than most to check it out.

One thing that seems to be nice about (parts of?) the podcast world is this willingness to cooperate and work with others.

Definitely! I’ve found there’s a lot of cooperation and friendliness and willingness to help each other and I think that’s really cool for a creative environment! 

Question: Are the CuSith, Cwn Annan, and the Wild Hunt all from the same common proto-European root? Or was it a Celtic tradition adopted by the Germanic people or vice versa?

I've had a fascination of these of these hound tales all my life. I think it started with Hounds of Baskerville and then Arthurian related, and then deep into my reading of myths and legends. Cool stuff.

21 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Question: Are the CuSith, Cwn Annan, and the Wild Hunt all from the same common proto-European root? Or was it a Celtic tradition adopted by the Germanic people or vice versa?

I've had a fascination of these of these hound tales all my life. I think it started with Hounds of Baskerville and then Arthurian related, and then deep into my reading of myths and legends. Cool stuff.

I don’t know if they’re related - I personally love folklore because it shows how similar people are - the cwn annwn are the hounds of the otherworld in welsh folklore/mythology and there’s some wild hunt type lore in “Celtic” ie welsh folklore too but I don’t actually know about how it originated or where they come from :o 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

How did it go? I’ll listen to the podcast itself of course, just curious how it was for you :) 

I was a little bit nervous being on someone else’s podcast and because I usually do my own totally alone and edit it all myself I was worried about having to do only one take and he will have to edit it all & im worried it came out awful so I’m a bit nervous and waiting for it to be uploaded so I can confirm if it’s terrible or not LOL but it was fun getting asked questions and actually talking instead of typing - I kinda much prefer talking verbally than writing stuff down which is funny because I never phone my friends LOL anyway hopefully it will be uploaded soon and his listeners won’t BOOO when they hear it :o I’ll let you guys know when it’s up in case anyone wants to hear it 

Hi guys!! Sorry to spam you!! 

I have just uploaded the 6th episode of the podcast. So do have a listen to me chatting about manx fairies and naturally going off on a few tangents. 

It's become increasingly difficult to record genuinely high quality content on my house with my rickety chair and ancient computer LOL but although my podcast is quite ''off the cuff'' I hope you enjoy it!! :D

http://celticmythspodcast.libsyn.com/mooinjer-veggey-manx-fairies

If you do enjoy it please leave a review or rating on itunes or whatever podcast app you choose, cheers friends!! 

Hi everyone!! 

http://thehistoryofvikings.com/celtic-mythology-sian-esther-powell/

and here is the episode i recorded with The History of Vikings podcast - I was SO NERVOUS and thought I sounded so terrible and not knowledgeable at all but I also did have so much fun being asked about Celtic myth and really “geeking out” anyway - hope you enjoy! :D 

That was a nice contribution to the vikings podcast.

Fingers crossed for you masters, and it makes perfect sense that the podcast schedule is secondary to your academic (and work) programme. I did like the discussion on the Manx fairies, but the left-right balance of the file was a bit off.

34 minutes ago, Seli said:

That was a nice contribution to the vikings podcast.

Fingers crossed for you masters, and it makes perfect sense that the podcast schedule is secondary to your academic (and work) programme. I did like the discussion on the Manx fairies, but the left-right balance of the file was a bit off.

Yes I need to make sure that doesn’t happen again! I’m not sure why it did - i didn’t pick up anything on my headphones !! I was told on twitter as well so I shall try to make sure it doesn’t happen again!!! 

And thanks about the Viking podcast I was very nervous about that one!!!! 

Archived