My Podcast: Celtic Myths & Legends

Theda Baratheon

Lovely podcast again, no idea why people react badly to the happy way you act upon pronunciation uncertainty. It definitely adds to quality for me.

I encountered the mysterious old british small dark people before in fiction, if only I could remember in which works.

On 8/25/2019 at 8:03 PM, Seli said:

Lovely podcast again, no idea why people react badly to the happy way you act upon pronunciation uncertainty. It definitely adds to quality for me.

I encountered the mysterious old british small dark people before in fiction, if only I could remember in which works.

Yes that upset me a bit although it was nice to see a lot of people come out and disagree! It’s just how I do things.

i really love the idea of ancestral memory and how folklore can be influenced by it and be used as a historical tool to better understand our past 

On 5/15/2019 at 9:38 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

THats what I found most interesting actually - that we all KNOW the word banshee and vaguely what Banshees are but why and how has that word and image spread and evolved? Glad you enjoyed! :D I do love siouxsie and the Banshees! 

Thank you!! 

Slightly unrelated but so do I!, I did a cover of Arabian Knights a year or so ago, I know Siouxie Sioux is obviously awesome but I have always loved John McGeochs guitar work so much.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:34 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

https://celticmythspodcast.libsyn.com/the-shetland-islands

episode 10 is finally recorded and uploaded. Shetland islands...friendly werewolves, mischievous water horses and malignant fairies!!!!

Had a listen and loved this!, I didn’t know the UK had much werewolf folklore, I’ve always wondered where the whole rivalry between vampires and werewolves came from, like if there have been examples in old myth or more likely just a thing dreamt up by Hollywood.

20 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Slightly unrelated but so do I!, I did a cover of Arabian Knights a year or so ago, I know Siouxie Sioux is obviously awesome but I have always loved John McGeochs guitar work so much.

Had a listen and loved this!, I didn’t know the UK had much werewolf folklore, I’ve always wondered where the whole rivalry between vampires and werewolves came from, like if there have been examples in old myth or more likely just a thing dreamt up by Hollywood.

I didn’t know either really. I’d love to delve a bit further into werewolf & vampire myths but think that would take me quite a bit away from Celtic so it probably wouldn’t be something for my show...I’d love to do a YouTube series but don’t have a clue about technology lol. 

Thank you tor listening !! So glad you enjoyed it :D 

11 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I didn’t know either really. I’d love to delve a bit further into werewolf & vampire myths but think that would take me quite a bit away from Celtic so it probably wouldn’t be something for my show...I’d love to do a YouTube series but don’t have a clue about technology lol. 

Thank you tor listening !! So glad you enjoyed it :D 

What about starting a second podcast series about myths/legends/folklore more generally? I know the general ones are already pretty common but you have your loyal audience already and might attract more listeners too. Plus you are already very knowledgeable about stuff like that, if i recall correctly.

Of course, i have no idea if this is actually feasible. I am very aware how busy you are!

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

What about starting a second podcast series about myths/legends/folklore more generally? I know the general ones are already pretty common but you have your loyal audience already and might attract more listeners too. Plus you are already very knowledgeable about stuff like that, if i recall correctly.

Of course, i have no idea if this is actually feasible. I am very aware how busy you are!

I think I just wouldn’t be able to have the time and it’d be expensive to host another one. I’d love to do a YouTube series but im not sure how to connect a decent webcam/camera to my microphone ad not the horrible in built mics they have. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://celticmythspodcast.libsyn.com/drowned-cities-lost-lands

Episode 11 is ready! 

Drowned Cities, Lost Lands and Sunken Kingdoms...here we take a look at some of the myths surrounding water, flooding and cities and kingdoms lost to it. Covering Brittany, Wales and Cornwall and to a lesser extent Scotland and Ireland it is clear that these myths have a trace of folk memory to them, also religious and moral undertones.

On 9/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Episode 11 is ready! 

Drowned Cities, Lost Lands and Sunken Kingdoms...here we take a look at some of the myths surrounding water, flooding and cities and kingdoms lost to it. Covering Brittany, Wales and Cornwall and to a lesser extent Scotland and Ireland it is clear that these myths have a trace of folk memory to them, also religious and moral undertones.

I am retiring on Friday. I plan on having lots of free time to listen to your podcasts now. 

On 9/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Episode 11 is ready! 

“Binge listened” to this and your previous episode on the Shetland Islands. I love your podcast and in response to some of your doubts/musings at the end, i think you hit a great balance between academic and accessible. I finish hem feeling i’ve had fun but learned something, and i generally go away and do further reading where i have time.

enjoying your musings on ancestral memory too, i find those points fascinating and i think it makes a lot of sense. What you were saying about he petrified forest that is visible at very low tide was interesting too. Can’t wait to hear more!

Your patreon idea is pretty good too, fwiw, offering the short episodes to patreons first and then compiling them. Very fair way of approaching it

16 hours ago, maarsen said:

I am retiring on Friday. I plan on having lots of free time to listen to your podcasts now. 

Bless you! I hope you enjoy the episodes :D 

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

“Binge listened” to this and your previous episode on the Shetland Islands. I love your podcast and in response to some of your doubts/musings at the end, i think you hit a great balance between academic and accessible. I finish hem feeling i’ve had fun but learned something, and i generally go away and do further reading where i have time.

enjoying your musings on ancestral memory too, i find those points fascinating and i think it makes a lot of sense. What you were saying about he petrified forest that is visible at very low tide was interesting too. Can’t wait to hear more!

Your patreon idea is pretty good too, fwiw, offering the short episodes to patreons first and then compiling them. Very fair way of approaching it

Thanks so much!! Really appreciate this! I wanted to be as fair as possible to everyone. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the episodes tho that genuinely makes me happy! 

I definitely want the show to be accessible to everyone but still have a little bit of research going on! 

@Theda Baratheon i forget, have you read the Warlord Chronicles? It just strikes me as the kind of book you would love for its take on the Arthurian legend, folklore, history of Britain etc.

Bringing this directly back to the podcast, what you said about strong similarities between cultures made me realise that the reason so much of what you said seemed familiar was because of the amount of fantasy books i’ve read that draw inspiration from Germanic/European folklore. Its fascinating really how so many cultures can develop such similar stories, and imo it really lends credence to the ancestral memory idea

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Theda this is just fascinating. I can tell it's really a labor of love for you, can't wait to listen to all the episodes. From what I've heard I must say your a most talented narrator.

Aww thank you!! :D I’m glad you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard! I really do love this podcast and wish I could spend more time on it. Maybe one day! 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@Theda Baratheon i forget, have you read the Warlord Chronicles? It just strikes me as the kind of book you would love for its take on the Arthurian legend, folklore, history of Britain etc.

Bringing this directly back to the podcast, what you said about strong similarities between cultures made me realise that the reason so much of what you said seemed familiar was because of the amount of fantasy books i’ve read that draw inspiration from Germanic/European folklore. Its fascinating really how so many cultures can develop such similar stories, and imo it really lends credence to the ancestral memory idea

No I haven’t read it! I’m so behind on so many books tbh! Will be glad when this MA is over so I can read again for fun lol! 

And yeah because whilst each place has its own unique spin on things I do love the fact that people in general are more similar than different! 

I started to listen to your latest podcast and the bit about the black mask with the spikes caught my attention. To paraphrase Mick Jagger, 'when you play with me you're playing with spires'. 

On 10/6/2019 at 1:35 AM, maarsen said:

I started to listen to your latest podcast and the bit about the black mask with the spikes caught my attention. To paraphrase Mick Jagger, 'when you play with me you're playing with spires'. 

YEah me thinks that was a saucy French addition in the 18th century or something probably. But quite creepy! Would be cool to see in a horror movie now really. 

• 1 month later...

Archived