My Podcast: Celtic Myths & Legends

Theda Baratheon

I had music playing throughout but very quietly so it wouldn't overpower my voice and I wanted a few cool sounding tunes at specific times like evil sounding music when Efnysien is mentioned but to be fair it was midnight when I was adding the music in and I was super tired :lol: so it might not have quite worked how I wanted it to. Oh well onwards and upwards it's all early days yet :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to hearing your take on the Cauldron. 

I know this is outside the scope of your podcast, but I've wondered if there is any connection between the Celtic Cauldron motifs and the Finnish Sampo. In this fantasy novel I keep picking at, I'm trying to work the Sampo in somehow, but the nebulous nature of it is hard for me to pin down. While Pair Dadeni is a tool of revival (I think?), Dagda's cauldron is a cornucopia of plenty similar to the Sampo (partially). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 10:32 PM, Myrddin said:

I'm looking forward to hearing your take on the Cauldron. 

I know this is outside the scope of your podcast, but I've wondered if there is any connection between the Celtic Cauldron motifs and the Finnish Sampo. In this fantasy novel I keep picking at, I'm trying to work the Sampo in somehow, but the nebulous nature of it is hard for me to pin down. While Pair Dadeni is a tool of revival (I think?), Dagda's cauldron is a cornucopia of plenty similar to the Sampo (partially). 

Ooh I shall look into this! Interesting link! !

My podcast has just reached 1000+ downloads via the libsyn website and I am SO pleased! 

• 4 weeks later...

Funny, I was just wondering to myself last night about when the next episode was gonna be. Will for sure give it a listen as soon as I get a chance. Can't do it at the moment because every time I listen to one of these I end up falling into a wiki hole.

Edit: Oh dear, I haven't even listened to it yet and it has already begun.

48 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Funny, I was just wondering to myself last night about when the next episode was gonna be. Will for sure give it a listen as soon as I get a chance. Can't do it at the moment because every time I listen to one of these I end up falling into a wiki hole.

Edit: Oh dear, I haven't even listened to it yet and it has already begun.

Lol I'm sorry! Those Wikipedia rabbit holes happen to me big time too LOL 

@Theda Baratheon,

I can't recall if I asked you this before, but have you ever thought about trying out as a voice talent? I had a few friends listen to the first episode and they had the exact same reaction as I did: they loved your voice. I could totally see you doing books on tape and various narration projects if nothing else. You should give it a shot! 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Theda Baratheon,

I can't recall if I asked you this before, but have you ever thought about trying out as a voice talent? I had a few friends listen to the first episode and they had the exact same reaction as I did: they loved your voice. I could totally see you doing books on tape and various narration projects if nothing else. You should give it a shot! 

Thanks man! Yeah I did think about it for a little while as I used to want to be an actress then I thought that was unrealistic & voice talent might work better but now I'm pretty set on working in the heritage sector so fingers crossed I'll be a TV historian one day LOL. Seriously though watch this space. - it's nice to know people aren't cringing as they're listening & cheers for sharing the podcast! It's obviously still early days so anything like that is appreciated! 

Agreed on the voice talent recommendation. It could be a nice side job for you. We hire voice talent at work for online training modules. They get paid $300 for walking into the studio (and for the first hour) and then $100 every hour after. If you build up a regular clientele it could build to more than just a side job.

Or just fund your Bladerunner merchandise habit. :)

1 minute ago, Myrddin said:

Agreed on the voice talent recommendation. It could be a nice side job for you. We hire voice talent at work for online training modules. They get paid $300 for walking into the studio (and for the first hour) and then $100 every hour after. If you build up a regular clientele it could build to more than just a side job.

Or just fund your Bladerunner merchandise habit. :)

I suppose it's something to consider - I had considered it before when I was a little younger & unsure of what I wanted  but now I'm pretty set on working in the heritage sector - future museum curator here I come! All my training, volunteering experience and degrees are building up towards that but...a little extra something something to let me BEGIN my DREAM of having a Blade Runner merchandise collection might be pretty lush *love heart eyes*

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Thanks man! Yeah I did think about it for a little while as I used to want to be an actress then I thought that was unrealistic & voice talent might work better but now I'm pretty set on working in the heritage sector so fingers crossed I'll be a TV historian one day LOL. Seriously though watch this space. - it's nice to know people aren't cringing as they're listening & cheers for sharing the podcast! It's obviously still early days so anything like that is appreciated! 

I get that you want to focus on heritage projects, but you could earn some $$$ on the side doing voice work and then parley that experience into heritage voice work projects.

Trust me, us Americans love UK accents and yours is damn near perfect plus you have a really soothing voice. I honestly think you could have a lot of success if you followed that path.   

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I get that you want to focus on heritage projects, but you could earn some $$$ on the side doing voice work and then parley that experience into heritage voice work projects.

Trust me, us Americans love UK accents and yours is damn near perfect plus you have a really soothing voice. I honestly think you could have a lot of success if you followed that path.   

Thank you! That's v nice to hear actually. Hmm, well who knows about the future lol - I tried a voice talent website first once to make some money on the side a few years ago and nothing ever happened - now with a podcast it might be a bit different! 

Like I said before i want to combine my past dream of being an actress and my future dream of being a historian and be a TV historian one day lol so it certainly helps to have a voice people dont mind listening to! 

2 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Thank you! That's v nice to hear actually. Hmm, well who knows about the future lol - I tried a voice talent website first once to make some money on the side a few years ago and nothing ever happened - now with a podcast it might be a bit different! 

Like I said before i want to combine my past dream of being an actress and my future dream of being a historian and be a TV historian one day lol so it certainly helps to have a voice people dont mind listening to! 

I can’t wait until you become the equivalent of David Attenborough for BBC history documentaries. As millions tune in for Celtic Britain (think Blue Planet style) we’ll be able to look at the TV and say - “Thats Theda from Westeros!” Remember is in your fame! :P 

More seriously though, i’m loving the podcast, i’ve found myself waiting eagerly for the next instalment and then falling down the Wiki hole afterwards.

And you really do have a lovely voice. Any way you could do recordings for a museum or anything? Whether thats for self-guided tours or audio exhibits or what have you? I found the last Museum I went to with a self guided audio tour interesting because of the subject matter but the ‘guide’ sounded very dull so when I contrast with you :dunno: Just an idea.

As an aside, I recall way back when you shared a video reading Company of Wolves I believe. Your voice work was also very good there

Keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Thank you!!! :D

It was another nice episode, I don't think I'd ever heard of this story before.

Your narration was really nice, I did enjoy the bits where you really went into storytelling mode.

A lightly weird thing: with my earphones in it did sound like you were moving in front of the microphone.

14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I can’t wait until you become the equivalent of David Attenborough for BBC history documentaries. As millions tune in for Celtic Britain (think Blue Planet style) we’ll be able to look at the TV and say - “Thats Theda from Westeros!” Remember is in your fame! :P 

More seriously though, i’m loving the podcast, i’ve found myself waiting eagerly for the next instalment and then falling down the Wiki hole afterwards.

And you really do have a lovely voice. Any way you could do recordings for a museum or anything? Whether thats for self-guided tours or audio exhibits or what have you? I found the last Museum I went to with a self guided audio tour interesting because of the subject matter but the ‘guide’ sounded very dull so when I contrast with you :dunno: Just an idea.

As an aside, I recall way back when you shared a video reading Company of Wolves I believe. Your voice work was also very good there

Keep up the good work!

Oh my gosh. That's the DREAM. Basically what Bettany Hughes, Alice Roberts, Neil Oliver & Michael Scott are doing now is what I want to be doing in 20 years time lol. Watch this space! 

Actually - interesting that you bring up museum audio tours as the museum I work in has been developing audio description tools for the art gallery. And I'd love to lend my voice to that. My conversational voice isn't quite so nice so I doubt they've even realised I can sound smart-ish when I try :P

We have some audio playing on a loop in some galleries that really is so dull. 

Ooooh yes back in the day when teenage me used to upload videos on YouTube of me just reading from books HA!! If only I'd have realised about podcasts then lol. 

Thanks so much xx

Archived