My Podcast: Celtic Myths & Legends

Theda Baratheon

2 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

All of them. Just stuff them in my earholes.

Probably fairyland and the Seelie Courts, because while Selkies are interesting, I already know about those wily seals.

That's what I thought! Whereas Fairyland, the Queen of Elfhame and the Seelie Courts might not be so popular and some people might learn things from the ep!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Uploaded the latest episode here: http://celticmythspodcast.libsyn.com/elfhame-and-the-courts-of-faerie or as ever on iTunes! 

Learn about the land of Faerie, its Queen and its Courts :) Hope you enjoy! 

This episode was a tad rushed and you'll hear a very loud motorbike that would NOT stop driving around my house. In fact, it still IS, towards the end of the episode so please forgive x 

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Fairyland & Seelie Courts FTW!

I wish I’d done a longer episode really but I’m only given enough space for about half an hour to host it on the site so I’m gonna try and cram in a tiny selkie episode this month too. Had a lot of fun reading about fairies though :) 

On 5/30/2018 at 5:56 PM, GrimTuesday said:

All of them. Just stuff them in my earholes.

Probably fairyland and the Seelie Courts, because while Selkies are interesting, I already know about those wily seals.

Think I will do another short selkie episode this month! But fairy queen episode is up now! ^_^

19 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Think I will do another short selkie episode this month! But fairy queen episode is up now! ^_^

I really enjoyed this, but as you noted at the end it's always too short. Maybe I'm in the extreme minority but I'm all for a 3 hour lecture going in to the fine details that would put lesser folk to sleep. :P Maybe it is time for me to stop resisting and go to grad school...

One thing I found interesting is when you posed the question of how pagan the fairy stuff is (or perhaps you were just talking about the Queen specifically and I'm going on some unnecessary). I think that there must be some pagan origin due to the wide spread nature of these stories. If you think about it, the Celts actually dominated or at least existed in large numbers in Europe in the 3rd century BCE. Now obviously they were supplanted by the Germanic tribes coming out of lower Scandinavia around 150 BCE, but as with all cultural meetings, there is bound to be some amount of adoption of ideas from those who came before, whether they were conquered, or simply absorbed. It is fair to wonder if certain elements are the result of Christian skullduggery, after all inventing nebulous evil beings to find new excuses to oppress and frighten people was kind of their thing back in the day, and I think doubly so if it held some kind of folk knowledge significance to those they were trying to bring to heel. Maybe a riff off the Threefold goddesses that we see in celtic myths?

Your thoughts?

4 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I really enjoyed this, but as you noted at the end it's always too short. Maybe I'm in the extreme minority but I'm all for a 3 hour lecture going in to the fine details that would put lesser folk to sleep. :P Maybe it is time for me to stop resisting and go to grad school...

One thing I found interesting is when you posed the question of how pagan the fairy stuff is (or perhaps you were just talking about the Queen specifically and I'm going on some unnecessary). I think that there must be some pagan origin due to the wide spread nature of these stories. If you think about it, the Celts actually dominated or at least existed in large numbers in Europe in the 3rd century BCE. Now obviously they were supplanted by the Germanic tribes coming out of lower Scandinavia around 150 BCE, but as with all cultural meetings, there is bound to be some amount of adoption of ideas from those who came before, whether they were conquered, or simply absorbed. It is fair to wonder if certain elements are the result of Christian skullduggery, after all inventing nebulous evil beings to find new excuses to oppress and frighten people was kind of their thing back in the day, and I think doubly so if it held some kind of folk knowledge significance to those they were trying to bring to heel. Maybe a riff off the Threefold goddesses that we see in celtic myths?

Your thoughts?

Oh I certainly think they are pagan in origin - the idea of other realms can be deduced from votive offerings left near bodies of water & large mounds (typically seen as gateways and portals into other realms) which can be traced to pre-Christian periods HOWEVER I think sometime soon people underestimate just how early a lot of the ‘Celtic’ areas converted to Christianity and as such lots of the seemingly pagan and folkloric elements are actually Christian. So the idea of an evil queen consorting with a devil is obviously Christian but is likely taking belief in a past goddess and equating her with fairy queen and then equating that queen with evil. The transition of pagan to Christian in the Celtic area is worthy of reading up on definitely. 

And I think I mentioned but I can’t do longer episodes! On some topics I would LOVE to full on delve deeply into a subject and wax lyrical for a good hour and a half but I’m only allowed like 30 mins a month because I don’t want to pay more than I’m already posting to host the podcast because I’m just a poor student lol 

Another nice podcast, the topic was a suprise :p

I do follow the account on twitter, but I think the announcement was lost in the general speed of the feed. Of course I was fine with the surprise anyway.

1 hour ago, Seli said:

Another nice podcast, the topic was a suprise :p

I do follow the account on twitter, but I think the announcement was lost in the general speed of the feed. Of course I was fine with the surprise anyway.

Hopefully a nice surprise and not a bad one lol! I don’t post a HUGE amount on Twitter - should definitely try to more but it’s hard work keeping up with all the social medias!! :D I was thinking of maybe to use YouTube as well

On 6/10/2018 at 8:31 AM, Selibration Srbija! said:

Of course a nice surprise!

And don't push yourself too much with social media, it has to remain enjoyable.

Thank you! I think you are right...Twitter and Facebook is more than enough for me for now...

• 1 month later...

That was really enjoyable, the somewhat more chatty format works well for looking at this sort of stuff.

It does kind of seem a bit obvious why the Korrigan are evil. Women have been demonized as lustful, man eating creatures in folklore forever. Sirens and nymphs have always been portrayed as being that use their beauty to lead men astray. Perhaps it is more telling that the ugly creature who does good is male.

Probably got it's start when some fella who looked like a troll decided to use it to pick up chicks. "Hey baby, you ever heard of the Bugul Noz?"

7 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

5th episode is uploaded!! 

http://celticmythspodcast.libsyn.com/the-bugul-noz

focused on the Breton folkloric creature The Bugul Noz; a solitary and hideous creature and I contrast him to various other fairy folk type creatures from Breton and Manx folklore. 

Have you attempted a vocal audition yet? If not, :spank:.

7 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

That was really enjoyable, the somewhat more chatty format works well for looking at this sort of stuff.

It does kind of seem a bit obvious why the Korrigan are evil. Women have been demonized as lustful, man eating creatures in folklore forever. Sirens and nymphs have always been portrayed as being that use their beauty to lead men astray. Perhaps it is more telling that the ugly creature who does good is male.

Probably got it's start when some fella who looked like a troll decided to use it to pick up chicks. "Hey baby, you ever heard of the Bugul Noz?"

YOu know what I’m going to have a whole episode dedicated to analysing feminine folkloric creatures at some point!! I have SO MUCH to say!!! 

Btw if anyone is at all interested I post quite regularly every week about folklore for Twitter’s FolkloreThuesday hashtag. Obviously...every Thursday we talk about folklore :lol: my username is SianEsther ! 

But enough of that...

some of my favourite folkloric creatures are feminine in appearance because I think they say a lot about society’s fears and desires. 

4 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Have you attempted a vocal audition yet? If not, :spank:.

Haha noooo! I don’t know if there’d be any point! Probably lots of people with standard British accents like me :P i used to want to but sadly I don’t think it’s the career for me! 

15 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Haha noooo! I don’t know if there’d be any point! Probably lots of people with standard British accents like me :P i used to want to but sadly I don’t think it’s the career for me! 

You'll never know if you don't try. One of my step-brothers was an actor and he suggested I do some head shots with him for a modeling gig. I at first laughed, but he kept pressing me and he ended up being right. I got a few gigs while I was in high school (nothing fancy, but it was still fun to do).

20 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

You'll never know if you don't try. One of my step-brothers was an actor and he suggested I do some head shots with him for a modeling gig. I at first laughed, but he kept pressing me and he ended up being right. I got a few gigs while I was in high school (nothing fancy, but it was still fun to do).

I already have too much on as it is! I am considering creating a sort of audio drama kind of podcast thing tho: I don’t know if you’ve read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep but there’s a character called Buster Friendly who is a cheerful (bordering on sinister) radio host. I’ve always wanted to make a parody of that called Esther Friendly and Her Friendly Friends. I would put on different voices and accents. Maybe.  

54 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

YOu know what I’m going to have a whole episode dedicated to analysing feminine folkloric creatures at some point!! I have SO MUCH to say!!! 

Btw if anyone is at all interested I post quite regularly every week about folklore for Twitter’s FolkloreThuesday hashtag. Obviously...every Thursday we talk about folklore :lol: my username is SianEsther ! 

But enough of that...

some of my favourite folkloric creatures are feminine in appearance because I think they say a lot about society’s fears and desires.

Just one episode? That could be an entire series in and of itself. I've always been fascinated by how women are portrayed in folklore. Basically anything that is touched by a Mediterranean culture has women as the forces of lust and evil there to lead the good and virtuous man astray. It feels like this is less pronounced in the myths that predate Christianity/Greco-Roman influence.

Archived