My Podcast: Celtic Myths & Legends

Theda Baratheon

15 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Just one episode? That could be an entire series in and of itself. I've always been fascinated by how women are portrayed in folklore. Basically anything that is touched by a Mediterranean culture has women as the forces of lust and evil there to lead the good and virtuous man astray. It feels like this is less pronounced in the myths that predate Christianity/Greco-Roman influence.

Well I will delve into it often when I bring up creatures like the Banshee who I actually think is an incredibly interesting point of analysis. On one hand she’s terrifying and hag like but she’s also mourning a death and is such a compassionate figure? 

Mermaids can often be siren like and lead men to their deaths but there are also mermaid tails of them saving people and earnestly falling in love with mortals. 

Selkie’s are often trapped into marriages with human men who steal their seal skin and as such strip them of their autonomy and agency in a horrible and tragic way. 

Witches are a massive figure of contempt but often women were killed just for being independent and a little outside the norm. 

But I also think there are lots of negative folklore creatures which are Male. I think folklore is an incredibly interesting place to analyse gender really but I don’t know how well that would work in my podcast or if I’d suddenly be called PC liberal garbage :lol: lmfao 

31 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Mermaids can often be siren like and lead men to their deaths but there are also mermaid tails of them saving people and earnestly falling in love with mortals.

Best.  Typo.  Ever.

59 minutes ago, Seli said:

This was another nice episode. You are always good at sounding natural, but the slight chaos in this one works perfectly fine as well.

I think I will be more chatty and casual with the folklore and ever so slightly more academic with the written literary sources

6 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

I loved how you just wanted to give the poor old Bugul Noz a hug. I couldn't help thinking, he would make a great character in a children's story - maybe some Breton writer has already done it. Looking forward to the next instalment.

I would love for him to be turned into a children’s story! I couldn’t find too much about him when I looked but I’m searching in English lol - so who knows! It may exist. I think it’s would work though especially if you go with the whole Night Shepherd protecting people side of this character. Still wanna give the poor thing a hug tho aha

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Good episode as usual, Theda. Yeah I couldn’t find too much on the Bugul Noz either but I was just looking for pictures, and the few pics I did find usually had him as a small gremlin type dude. 

Yeah the few I found were pretty cute actually! Not horrifying at all! And thanks!! :D

33 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

Hello! I've been on the hunt for new podcasts lately, so I'll be listening in. I know a tiny bit about various Celtic lore, so it will be great to explore more.

Hiya!! Hope you enjoy the episodes!!! :D And if you know anything about Manx folklore - let me know, LOL! 

3 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

Has there been one on the black dogs/fae dogs that have various tales throughout the U.K.?, would be an interesting one, although some originate in England so might not be allowed?.

No, not yet. But I was going to mention the beast of bodmin moor in one episode, though I think the beast was always described as more of a large cat like creature than a dog. Dogs exist connected to various celtic folklore as well though. 

The white dogs with red ears who run with the king of the Otherworld in the Mabinogion for example. 

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

No, not yet. But I was going to mention the beast of bodmin moor in one episode, though I think the beast was always described as more of a large cat like creature than a dog. Dogs exist connected to various celtic folklore as well though. 

The white dogs with red ears who run with the king of the Otherworld in the Mabinogion for example. 

That would be cool to hear mentioned, there is also the CuSith and CaSith of Scottish folklore which are more related to the fae.

50 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

That would be cool to hear mentioned, there is also the CuSith and CaSith of Scottish folklore which are more related to the fae.

yes - they're similar to the Welsh Cwn Annwn I mentioned. It would be great to do an episode comparing the fairies/fae of the celtic nations!

Archived