Favorite single combat scenes

Calibandar

Lancelot vs. Curdardh in Kay's The Darkest Road. Nicely mythic

Yes, I had forgotten that one, very nice. People can say what they like about Fionavar but I've rarely seen another book or series with so many mano-e-mano combat scenes.

Cinema is a completely different subject for me, and all the ASOIAF stuff is a given. Here's the rest of the stuff that come to mind:

Brawne Lamia versus assassin - Hyperion

Raul Endymion versus Rhamadath Nemes - Rise of Endymion

The Bloodguard versus the Sandgorgon - The One Tree

Thomas Covenant versus Lord Foul - White Gold Weilder

Mat Cauthon versus the Gholam - A Crown of Swords

Brotherhood of the Peach Blossoms versus Lu Bu - Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Diomedes versus the Gods - The Iliad

Hiro Protagonist versus Raven - Snow Crash

Molly Millions versus yakuza assassin - "Johnny Mnemonic"

Mat Cauthon is the most intriguing figher in all the fiction I have read:

He uses a bow and quarterstaff in {The Eye of the World}

The Bow again in {The Great Hunt}

Mat starts to come into his own in {The Dragon Reborn} one of the great scenes in all fiction when he challenges both Galad and Gawen two of the top 10 swordsmen in the series and him with a quarterstaff and them with swords...later on the roof in TarValon...on the boat when he kills the three assassins with his quarterstaff...on the roofs of Tear against the Aiel...In the stone when he bests High Lord Darlin one of the top 10 swordsmen in the series...in this one book he bests three of the better swordsmen in the series...

In {The Shadow Rising} Mat starts to show his great skill with throwing knives...he acquires his Ashandari {A staff with a sword blade at the end}...He kills a Fade by himself with the Ashandari...

In {The Fires of Heaven} Mat kills the Clan Chief of the Shaido...Coladin...with his Ashandari...He also becomes the Leader of {The Band of the Red Hand} A General...he wins battles with long odds against him...

In {The Lord of Chaos} he kills several Aiel with his Ashandari...he leads his Band into Altara...and ends up going to Ebou Dar with Nynaeve and Elayne

In {A Crown of Swords} the greatest battle between two individuals ever...The Gholam and Mat...also several times he has to use throwing knives...

In {Winter's Heart} Mat has to use his quick hands to keep Tuon from killing him with Karate Chops...

{Crossroads of Twilight} was the only book he has appeared in that he did not have to use his fighting skills...it was more his skill in the {Game of Houses}

In {Knife of Dreams} he had to use his skill with knives in his hands against a half-dozen swordsmen...he also commanded {The Band of the Red Hand} in several battles...he is becoming more a General and less a fighter...

Damn - this is the first one I thought of when I saw this thread and someone beat me to it:

Raul Endymion versus Rhamadath Nemes - Rise of Endymion

Raul all but gets his ass handed to him but still manages to pull it out. One of Simmons finest moments.

In cinema there's a lot of single combat scenes but the battle between Aragorn and Lurtz was a helluva brawl. On one side you had overwhelming strength, an inhuman tolerance for pain, and sheer ferocity, on the other you had the greatest swordsman of the Third Age. I read somewhere an interview with Lawrence Makoare about that fight - he was asked who really would win in a sword fight between him and Viggo. He said it would have gone down the same way, he'd throw Viggo all over the place and he'd still end up losing a limb and then his head.

And this one still gets me excited:

Count Rugen: [inigo stands up after getting stabbed by a knife thrown by Count Rugen] Good heavens. Are you still trying to win? [inigo falls back against the wall] You've got an overdeveloped sense of vengeance. It's going to get you into trouble someday.

[Rugen draws his sword and lunges at Inigo who then forces the blade to his left shoulder. Again Rugen lunges at Inigo and the blade is deflected to Inigo's right arm]

Inigo Montoya: [Rugen swings his sword but Inigo blocks it and then begins advancing] Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die.

Inigo Montoya: [He falls on a table. Rugen attacks and Inigo blocks four times before he continues to advance on Rugen]

Inigo Montoya: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die.

Count Rugen: [Now Rugen attacks five times and Inigo blocks every single one]

Inigo Montoya: [Louder] Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die.

Count Rugen: Stop saying that!

Inigo Montoya: [Rugen attacks and Inigo blocks it and then stabs Rugen in the shoulder. Then Rugen swings his sword. Inigo ducks and stabs Rugen in the other shoulder. Then he advances quickly and they fight] Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!

Count Rugen: [Rugen gets his sword knocked away and Inigo slices his cheek] No!

Inigo Montoya: Offer me money

Count Rugen: Yes

Inigo Montoya: Power too promise that!

[he slices Rugen's other cheek]

Count Rugen: All that I have and more. Please.

Inigo Montoya: Offer me everything I ask for.

Inigo Montoya: Anything you want.

Count Rugen: [Rugen attacks but Inigo grabs his arm and stabs Rugen in the stomach]

Inigo Montoya: I want my father back you son of a bitch.

[inigo plunches the sword into Rugen's gut and he falls down dead]

:D

Oberyn Martell vs Gregor Clegane. Another example of one warrior finding and using an effective strategy against the other. Pity the Red Viper got overconfident once he had Gregor down...

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Martell didn't get overconfident - he got desperate. His goal was not to simply defeat Clegane. That would have been child's play for a master poisoner of his ability. His goal was to goad Clegane into a confession. He simply could not have done this by sitting back and poking Clegane with his spear. He had to get the giant to TALK. His strategy succeeded - even though it cost him his life. Overconfidence had nothing to do with it. Sheer desperation.

Locke v the Falconer in the Lies of Locke Lamora

"I just have to hold you until Jean gets here"

umm, I recall Locke making that comment with the Grey King and with Tesso, but not to the Falconer.

The greatest single combat scene in fiction

Woundwort had won almost every fight of his life by using his weight. Other rabbits could not stop him and once they went down they seldom got up. He tried to push now, but his back legs could get no purchase in the pile of loose, yielding soil behind him. He reared up and, as he did so, realized that the enemy beneath him was crouching in a scooped-out trench the size of his own body. He struck out and felt his claws score deeply along the back and haunch. Then the other rabbit, still keeping his grip under Woundwort's shoulder, thrust upward with his hind legs braced against the floor of the trench. Woundwort, with both forefeet off the ground, was thrown over on his back on the earth pile. He lashed out, but the enemy had already loosed his hold and was beyond his reach.

Woundwort stood up. He could feel the blood running down the inside of his near foreleg. The muscle was wounded. He could not put his full weight on it. But his own claws, too, were bloody and this blood was not his.

"Are you all right, sir?" asked Vervain, behind him.

"Of course I'm all right, you fool," said Woundwort. "Follow me close."

The other rabbit spoke from in front of him.

"You told me once to start by impressing you, General. I hope I have."

"I told you once that I would kill you myself," replied Woundwort, "There is no white bird here, Thlayli." He advanced for the second time.

Bigwig's taunt had been deliberate. He hoped that Woundwort would fly at him and so give him a chance to bite him again. But as he waited, pressed to the ground, he realized that Woundwort was too clever to be drawn. Always quick to size up any new situation, he was coming forward slowly, keeping close to the ground himself. He meant to use his claws. Afraid, listening to Woundwort's approach, Bigwig could hear the uneven movement of his forepaws, almost within striking distance. Instinctively he drew back and as he did so the thought came with the sound: "The near forepaw's dragging. He can't use it properly." Leaving his right flank exposed, he struck out on his near side.

His claws found Woundwort's leg, ripping sideways; but before he could draw back, Woundwort's whole weight came down on him and the next moment his teeth had met in his right ear. Bigwig squealed, pressed down and thrashing from side to side. Woundwort, feeling his enemy's fear and helplessness, loosed his hold of the ear and rose above him, ready to bite and tear him across the back of the neck. For an instant he stood above the helpless Bigwig, his shoulders filling the run. Then his injured foreleg gave way and he lurched sideways against the wall. Bigwig cuffed him twice across the face and felt the third blow pass through his whiskers as he sprang back. The sound of his heavy breathing came plainly from the top of the earth pile. Bigwig, the blood oozing from his back and ear, stood his ground and waited. Suddenly he realized that he could see the dark shape of General Woundwort faintly outlined where he crouched above him. The first traces of daylight were glimmering through the broken roof of the Honeycomb behind.

The blood ran over Bigwig's neck and down his foreleg. He watched Woundwort steadily where he crouched on the earth pile, expecting him to leap forward at any moment. He could hear a rabbit moving behind him, but the run was so narrow that he could not have turned even if it had been safe to do so.

"Everyone all right?" he asked.

"They're all right," replied Holly. "Come on, Bigwig, let me take your place now. You need a rest."

"Can't," panted Bigwig. "You couldn't get past me here--no room--and if I go back that brute'll follow--next thing you'd know he'd be loose in the burrows. You leave it to me. I know what I'm doing."

It had occurred to Bigwig that in the narrow run even his dead body would be a considerable obstacle. The Efrafans would either have to get it out or dig round it and this would mean more delay. In the burrow behind him he could hear Bluebell, who was apparently telling the does a story. "Good idea," he thought. "Keep 'em happy. More than I could do if I had to sit there."

"So then El-ahrairah said to the fox, 'Fox you may smell and fox you may be, but I can tell your fortune in the water.' "

Suddenly Woundwort spoke.

"Thlayli," he said, "why do you want to throw your life away? I can send one fresh rabbit after another into this run if I choose. You're too good to be killed. Come back to Efrafa. I promise I'll give you the command of any Mark you like. I give you my word."

"Silflay hraka, u embleer rah," replied Bigwig.

" 'Ah ha,' said the fox, 'tell my fortune, eh? And what do you see in the water, my friend? Fat rabbits running through the grass, yes, yes?' "

"Very well," said Woundwort. "But remember, Thlayli, you yourself can stop this nonsense whenever you wish."

" 'No,' replied El-ahrairah, 'it is not fat rabbits that I see in the water, but swift hounds on the scent and my enemy flying for his life.' "

Bigwig realized that Woundwort also knew that in the run his body would be nearly as great a hindrance dead as alive. "He wants me to come out on my feet," he thought. "But it's Inlé, not Efrafa, that I shall go to from here."

Suddenly Woundwort leaped forward in a single bound and landed full against Bigwig like a branch falling from a tree. He made no attempt to use his claws. His great weight was pushing, chest to chest, against Bigwig's. With heads side by side they bit and snapped at each other's shoulders. Bigwig felt himself sliding slowly backward. He could not resist the tremendous pressure. His back legs, with claws extended, furrowed the floor of the run as he gave ground. In a few moments he would be pushed bodily into the burrow behind. Putting his last strength into the effort to remain where he was, he loosed his teeth from Woundwort's shoulder and dropped his head, like a cart horse straining at a load. Still he was slipping. Then, very gradually it seemed, the terrible pressure began to slacken. His claws had a hold of the ground. Woundwort, teeth sunk in his back, was snuffling and choking. Though Bigwig did not know it, his earlier blows had torn Woundwort across the nose. His nostrils were full of his own blood, and with jaws closed in Bigwig's fur he could not draw his breath. A moment more and he let go his hold. Bigwig, utterly exhausted, lay where he was. After a few moments he tried to get up, but a faintness came over him and a feeling of turning over and over in a ditch of leaves. He closed his eyes. The run was empty. General Woundwort was gone.

Woundwort clambered out into the Honeycomb, now dimly lit down the shaft by the daylight outside. He had never felt so tired. He saw Vervain and Thunder looking at him uncertainly. He sat on his haunches and tried to clean his face with his front paws.

"Thlayli won't give any more trouble," he said. "You'd better just go in and finish him off, Vervain, since he won't come out."

"You're asking me to fight him, sir?" asked Vervain.

"Well, just take him on for a few moments," answered Woundwort. "I want to start them getting this wall down in one or two other places. Then I'll come back."

Vervain knew that the impossible had happened. The General had come off worst. What he was saying was, "Cover up for me. Don't let the others know."

"What in Frith's name happens now?" thought Vervain. "The plain truth is that Thlayli's had the best of it all along, ever since he first met him in Efrafa. And the sooner we're back there the better."

He met Woundwort's pale stare, hesitated a moment and then climbed on the earth pile. Then he stopped. Vervain and Thistle, raising their heads to peer past him from behind, saw why. Thlayli had made his way up the run and was crouching immediately below. Blood had matted the great thatch of fur on his head, and one ear, half severed, hung down beside his face. His breathing was slow and heavy.

"You'll find it much harder to push me back from here, General," he said.

With a sort of weary, dull surprise, Woundwort realized that he was afraid. He did not want to attack Thlayli again. He knew, with flinching certainty, that he was not up to it. And who was? he thought. Who could do it? No, they would have to get in by some other way and everyone would know why.

"Thlayli," he said, "we've unblocked a run out here. I can bring in enough rabbits to pull down this wall in four places. Why don't you come out?"

Thlayli's reply, when it came, was low and gasping, but perfectly clear.

"My Chief Rabbit has told me to defend this run and until he says otherwise I shall stay here."

"His Chief Rabbit?" said Vervain, staring.

David Gemmell's Midnight Falcon, the gladiatoir fight midway through between the middle-aged Rage and some othe gladiator. It's been built up over a chapter and anyone reading it is expecting a big fight, possibly with Rage getting killed...

Only for it to end in a second.

Decado's fight against the Chaos Templar in The King Beyond the Gate was excellent.

Whiskeyjack vs Kallor.

Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian trilogy has so many. The fight between Arthur and Owain was good. As was the fight between Derfel and Liofa.

loved the Watership down reference. I wholeheartedly agree. I place Bigwig in the top five warriors of all literature. his willingnesss to sacrifice himself makes him number one in my heart. As for cinema, how about last of the mohicans with Chingakook and Magua?

Forgive, I'm running out the door, so just one right now -

Give John Williams an assist on that as well!

I know this is a SF/F forum but I have always admired Clavell in Shogun depicting Mariko leading Toranaga's men out Osaka:

No Super Woman bullshit, but a scene that still displays a power of a woman in a combat scene (especially if you read he book and knew what she knew was at stake. For a pretty maindtresm author, I have to admt I have always found Mariko to be of the great female characters in recent fiction.

Whats this book about? Is it good?

I hope it has a form of social critisism of the time instead of romantism of the samurai lifestyle.

Amber-Benedict vs. Corwin

It's really the writing rather than the fight itself. At one point Corwin saw an opening that would have allowed him to decapitate Benedict, but he neglected to take it because he was afraid Benedict's aeons of combat experience meant that a headless Benedict would kill him by reflex afterwards.

That's Classic :)

I was always fond of the Brand vs Benedict as well.

Rake is one of those fanboy characters I try to hate but just can't. From Gardnes of the Moon:

I always like Rake's standdown with the Hounds of Shadow in Gardens of the Moon:

Paran: "..What happens now?"

Rake: "For the moment mortal they find the thought of kllling me more desirable than that of killing you."

Paran: "And what are their chances?"

Rake: "The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think mortal?"

In Books:

- Bigwig vs. Woundwort

- Joscelin vs. the Skaldi dudes in the snowy glen (Kushiel's Dart)

- Joscelin vs. the traitorous bodyguard ("")

- Locke vs. the Gray King -- Poor Locke, he got so torn to pieces!

- The Hound vs. The Tickler/Polly with Arya vs. the Squire in the background

- Jaime vs. Brienne

- The Red Viper vs. The Mountain

- Brechin vs. the Draila (Fire Bringer - the deer story)

- Aljan vs. the Wyrm Priestess (Firebringer - the unicorn story)

- The Dancer vs. Anor the Executioner (The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West)

- Asriel / Mrs. Coulter vs. Metatron (His Dark Materials)

In Other Media:

- Inigo Montoya vs. Count Rugen

- Kratos vs. Ares (God of War)

- Kain vs. Raziel (Legacy of Kain: Defiance)

- SoulReaver!Raziel vs. Human!Raziel (Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver II)

- Amaterasu vs. Roa/Ninetails (Okami)

- Titus Pullo / Lucius Vorenus vs. the Gladiators (Rome)

- Buffy vs. the Master

- Buffy vs. the Judge -- a rocket launcher solves EVERYTHING!

- Maximus vs. Commadus (Gladiator)

- Mal vs. the black badass guy (Serenity)

"Buffy versus The Judge"

Although it wasn't much a battle, it did have one of her best lines.

The Judge: What's that?"

Buffy: A weapon.

The Judge: No weapon forged can stand against me.

Buffy: That was then...this is now." Aims the rocket launcher across the food court, fires, Spike and Dru leap to the side, and the Judge is blown to tiny smoking pieces. Whedon was a god.

How about Tom Cruise getting the living crap beat out of him with a wooden sword in The Last Samurai? Not necessarily a good fight, but who doesn't love Tom Cruise getting beat on?

My favorites:

1. Jimmy vs Timmy in South Park.

2. Bigwig vs Woundwort in Watership Down

3. Dread Pirate Roberts vs Inigo Montoya

4. Rand vs Turak in The Great Hunt

5. Mat vs Galad and Gawyn in The Great Hunt

Archived