So, what's your head canon?

Lollygag

8 minutes ago, Springwatch said:
  • Sansa ice witch: Sansa goes over to the dark side, gaining power over ice, but also a reputation worse than Mad Danelle's. Everything kindly meant, of course.

I have this very wild idea that Sansa will turn Other-ish (against her will of course because that’s Sansa’s unfortunate thing) and she’ll have to “game” the Others thus making the battle of the Others/Humans part of the Game of Thrones and not feeling like a shoehorned-in conflict which doesn’t fit with all of the previous books. But that would involve developing some of the Others as characters so I highly doubt that will happen.

14 minutes ago, zandru said:

It's interesting that each change of season is announced by the maesters at the Citadel in Oldtown. How can they tell? Particularly given that the years, which astronomy will define, are separate and disjoint from the seasons? Are they, in fact, determining when the seasons change, that is actually causing it? If so, how does this fit in with their widely-known deprecation of magic? Did the maesters also kill off all the dragons? I'm guessing yes, dunno, and yes.

I think I saw a fleeting reference to the maesters measuring day length (in one of the passages about the white ravens) to determine the seasons, which was part of my confusion over how the seasons worked. So I don't think they control it, just watch it. I agree the maesters are trying to destroy magic, including dragons.

12 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Tyrion dragonrider

Yes - I think he'll become a dragonrider - he has dragon dreams at times, iirc, and this feeds into questions about his parentage

Not sure about Sansa in detail, but I believe she's becoming a real player in the Game.

47 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I have this very wild idea that Sansa will turn Other-ish (against her will of course because that’s Sansa’s unfortunate thing) and she’ll have to “game” the Others thus making the battle of the Others/Humans part of the Game of Thrones and not feeling like a shoehorned-in conflict which doesn’t fit with all of the previous books. But that would involve developing some of the Others as characters so I highly doubt that will happen. 

But that would be excellent! I think the Others do have a culture, foreshadowed by the pale inhabitants of Qarth and other things. The only snag is fitting it all into two books.

Jon is not dead.  He is, however, seriously injured and will remain comatose for some time.

Arya meets Jeyne Poole, and decided it is time to return to Westeros.

Sansa convinces the Lords of the Vale to go North and help her brother fight the Others.

The next major character to die will be Jaime Lannister.

Davos and Rickon wind up at Hardhome, and then the Far North.  They don't return south of the Wall before the end of TWOW.

Daenerys heads west by the middle of TWOW.

Bran will leave the cave and return South via the underground river.  

Oh, wow, this will be fun!

• Maekar will eventually knight Dunk. I think that Dunk with eventually come clean to Egg about him not being knighted, but that after proving himself as a worthy fighter and protector for all these years, Maekar will (possibly begrudgingly) take it upon himself to knight him. It would be a nice moment for the long-suffering prince and the man he had gotten off to such a bad start with.
  • Jaime will be the one to find Tysha again, not Tyrion. Part of his arc is repenting for his past sins, so much like how I think he'll meet Bran again, I think he'll have to face Tysha as well. Jaime did not know that Tywin was going to hurt her like he did, but he still feels guilty for it, and he needs to address that.
  • If Jaime is the valonqar, he won't kill Cersei over her attempting to burn down King's Landing, but rather because of something more personal. My headcanon is that he and Brienne will have a child, and Cersei, in her jealousy, will arrange to have that child killed.
  • Speaking of children, Asha's definitely having one. If it's a boy, it will be named Quellon.
  • Aegon will try to take two wives, Arianne and Sansa.
  • Arya will kill Lady Stoneheart.
  • Daenerys will intersect with Edric Storm.
  • SanSan isn't endgame, but they will have a sexual relationship.
  • Septa Lemore and Haldon Halfmaester are Melora and Leyton Hightower.
  • Bran will warg a dragon.
  • Jaime is Joanna's true son the same way Tyrion is Tywin's true son.
  • Daemon Blackfyre was never in love with his half-sister, Daenerys. That was just a story invented by the singers.
  • The Ironborn descend from voyagers from Ashaii.
  • Marei the Whore is Tywin's bastard.

4 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

The thing that still bugs me is that Jon is notably described as being 'dark' in his colourings, which sounds more Baratheon than Targaryen to me.

He's described as having dark brown hair and grey eyes. Robert had black hair and blue eyes. Nothing Baratheon about Jon.

Jon will be the King of the North.

Rickon I have no idea what will happen. I am so lost with him.

Sansa will be married to Robert Arryn of the Vale and he will be a great man.

Arya will "find her pack" but I still don't know what that is really. But I want to say she will be the Lord Comander of the Night's watch

Bran will have crazy time travel history of going back and had tried to stop The Others back in the day. No idea how he really ends up.

Dany's dragons will be dead by the end and all magic will end. 

Dany will have a child.

Cersei will be killed by Jamie (he will die in turn) and she will blow up most/all of King's landing by the end. All her kids are screwed.

Tyrion will have his tongue ripped out and just read. Probably just alone somewhere or maybe a maester or something. 

Stannis will die, I just haven't figured out how his arc will be completed.

Sam will be a maester of the Night's watch.

Young Griff is a blackfryre. Vary's just supports any dragon.

TPTWP was Rhaegar. Jon is lightbringer. 

Jon is not only son of Rhaegar, he is also his legitimate heir. Either Rhaegar divorced with Elia, or annulled their marriage, or married with Lyanna too. And thus has two wives, and children of them both are his legitimate heirs. Or only Jon is his legitimate heir, while two others are not.

Father of Elia's children, Rhaenys and Aegon, is her brother Oberyn Martell. Elia cheated, when she married with Rhaegar, she was already pregnant. Could be that first time he forgave her, because it was before their wedding. Though when he found out, that the second child is also not his, he ended his relationship with Elia. He found out the truth in the beginning of Tournament at Harrenhal. Crowning Lyanna as Queen of Love and Beauty was partially a payback to Elia for her cheating.

Lyanna is a Knight of the Laughing Tree. Rhaegar somehow found out about this. He sent Ashara Dayne to warn Lyanna, that King Aerys is going to unmask her next day, thus she needs to withdraw from further participation in Tournament.

Ashara Dayne is alive, she married with Howland Reed, and changed her name to Jyana Reed. Edric Dayne is their son, and twin brother of Jojen Reed. Ashara's baby, from rumours about her death, is Meera Reed.

Sword Dawn is the Lightbringer from the prophecy. Ned brought that sword to Winterfell, and buried it in Stark's family crypts, together with Lyanna.

Barristan Selmy is a Blackfyre. He's either grandson of Bittersteel, or his grand nephew (son of Bittersteel's niece).

FAegon is also a Blackfyre. Barristan Selmy is his father. And his mother is Jeyne Swann, who is also a Quaithe of the Shadow, shadowbinder from Asshai. Quaithe is either daughter/niece of Bittersteel, and mother of Barristan Selmy, or she is Jeyne Swann, and mother of fAegon. 

Stannis is not Azor Ahai. He won't win battle for Winterfell.

Arya will return to 7K, and kill everyone on her list. She's also valonqar, and will kill Cersei.

If fAegon is a real Aegon Targaryen, then Jon is a "Blackfyre" - i.e. Targaryen Great Bastard. Jon, Aegon and Dany are three heads of the dragon. All three of them will be dragonriders.

Aegon's sword will be Blackfyre, Jon's sword will be the Dawn, and Dany's sword will be Dark Sister (3EC/Lord Bloodraven will tell Bran where the sword is). If fAegon is the PTWP, then he will become King of 7K, and will get Iron Throne, while Jon will get Dany <- those two are perfect for each other, their biggest dream is to have a family, and a place where they will belong.

R+L= J isn't even headcanon, it's canon whether y'all are frustrated that the big plot twist was solved fifteen years ago or not doesn't have any bearing on it.

As to "head canons"

Stannis is gonna die, soon (relatively speaking in the terms of this series). Also Stannis is a selfish hypocrite.  And possibly a big poop wearing a crown.
Jaime is the valonquar.
All the "x is really y in disguise/really a secret Targaryen/Bloodraven's second cousin twice removed" crackpots are BS.
The direwolf in the beginning came south due to the changing seasons and/or the Others, and was not warged.
"Wherever Whores Go(tm)" was nothing more than "What do I care?" and Tysha is ded (possibly even sooper ded)
Syrio is dead.
There's a velociraptor in Braavos.
The lemon tree was in Lys or was a potted plant.
Willas and Garlan Tyrell will not do anything that most people will call "important" in the upcoming books, at least not on page.
Cersei's prophecy will come to pass by her own fault and paranoia.

24 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Barristan Selmy is a Blackfyre. He's either grandson of Bittersteel, or his grand nephew (son of Bittersteel's niece).

My head canon for your head canon is that Barristan Blackfyre will take the sword Blackfyre and slay (f)Aegon and then Jon Snow to win Daenerys hand in marriage. He's already let one purple-eyed beauty get away and end up with a Stark who dishonored her, he won't let it happen again.  Barristan BlackFIRE not Barristan BlackMUD.

Hooray for headcanon threads, a place where I can dump all the nonsense in my head and not feel guilty for coming up with any of it. ;)

• Jon is not dead. He never actually dies but is gravely wounded and blood sacrifice might be needed to restore him OR there might be trouble waking him up due to his unwillingness to leave Ghost’s body.
  • Jeyne will go to Bravos. Jon thought about sending "Arya" there for safety. Double points if she ends up at the House of Black and White, meets Arya and receives the gift, allowing Arya to - heh, ironically - become a fake Arya.
  • Stannis will win the Battle in the Ice. As many have speculated elsewhere, I suspect a mythical "Battle on the Ice" scenario where either the ice breaks under the weight of the heavily armoured Freys and assorted Bolton men cannot. Ramsay Snow will either drown or be captured -- with the possibility that Theon will kill him. Bonus points in the Bastard's girls prove more loyal to Theon than Ramsay in the end.
  • Aegon is probably (f)Aegon, a Blackfyre pretender and quite possibly son of Illyrio and Serra. Bonus points if Varys is doing an Egg and shaves his head to hide the silver-gold hair of the Blackfyres also. Nonetheless, I do think he will oust Tommen.
  • A+A=The Fall of House Martell. JonCon probably won't want Aegon to marry her but it'll happen. I really will not be surprised if Arianne ties the knot with Aegon fairly soon, despite strongly suspecting he is not the real deal. However, throwing their lot in with Aegon will turn out to be a poor move once Daenerys turns up.
  • Lady Stoneheart and the BWB head North at some point. If Jaime and Brienne survive whatever trial she has in store for them, they might tag along. Maybe she gets to the Neck and finally crosses paths with HR who shows he got hold of Robb's will and know who Jon's real parents are, meaning she is more willing to hand over Robb's crown to Jon. Possibly, if Jon requires magic to be saved, it will be LS herself who gives him the kiss of life and finally vengeance spree. Oh, re: Jon's parents...
  • R+L=J. I have suspected it since I first read AGoT and I'll continue to believe it until proven otherwise. I don't care if he is legitimate or still a bastard, or if he finds out that his mum and dad were two crazy prophecy junkies who wanted to make the perfect Song of Ice and Fire baby to be TPtwP. Jon should realise just how much his father, Ned Stark (his true father, no matter what), loved him and put his life and honour on the line to fulfil his sister's wish and keep him safe. That would be so a beautiful and powerful moment for Jon... finally finding out who he really is and knowing everything Ned did for him.
  • Mance is Mance. He is just Mance. Not Rhaegar or Arthur Dayne -- he is Mance. He is also still alive and totally wrote the Pink Letter.
  • No Jojen paste. As delicious (ha!) as the idea of Bran eating his friend is, I always thought it redundant since the sap from Weirwood is probably blood anyway from all the humans, singers, giants and animals it has eaten. I genuinely think Jojen will die in an incredibly simple “all men must die” way, possibly from his underlying illness. I suspect Jojen will make it back to Greywater Watch with his sister and Bran only to die on the day he always foretold. (I have often wondered what Meera was going to say when she said she “hoped” for something when they found the 3EC. Perhaps, like Bran hoped his legs would be fixed she hoped finding BR would cure whatever ails Jojen.)
  • Brynden Rivers’s plans for Bran are not sinister. Despite being a creepy treeman who Mel thinks is an instrument of the “Great Other”, I suspect he never planned to lure Bran to his cave with the intention of keeping him there forever. (The Children might want to keep him indefinitely, though, seeing as there's at least one whole room of them all hooked into the weirwood). I suspect Brynden himself was lured there somehow, stayed in the network too long and became stuck. Now, he wants to teach Bran what he needs to know and then ensure he and his friends escape through the underground river system the Children aren’t keen for them to go exploring.
  • Robert “Sweetrobin” Arryn will NOT die. Not only do I believe he is not being overdosed with sweetsleep but I think will outlive Harry Hardying, Littlefinger and others who are twiddling their thumbs and waiting for him to die. He will subvert expectations and outlive them all.
  • Sansa will slay the Titan. Indeed, carrying on from the attempts by LF to overdose Sweetrobin with sweetsleep, I wonder if Sansa might poison LF as Lysa poisoned Jon Arryn, as a mirror to what begun this chain of events. Tears of Lys would be even more poetic though revealing that she has been slipping the sweetsleep into his wine to overdose him would be poetic too.
  • Euron Crow's Eye will steal at least one of Dany’s dragons. Possibly Viserion, unable to resist due to Dragonbinder, which he has probably already claimed for himself -- meaning Victarion's attempts are futile. I see Euron as one of, if not the, biggest threat to humanity at the moment, perhaps even a messiah of the new Long Night. I also wonder if Daenerys will lose Rhaegal to, either because he goes rogue or also to Euron. This will cause the Second Dance of the Dragons.
  • Sam has the real Horn of Winter, which Euron may or may not get hold of but will ultimately fall into the hands of the wrong person. They will blow it and bring that Wall down as it will deactivate the magic that keeps it stable or something to that effect. (Also, imagine if there really is an Ice Dragon buried within the Wall).
  • The Others have their reasons. Something has gone wrong. If we had thousands of years of peace and suddenly they are now massing an army of wights, they must have a reason. I'm not sure what but I think it would be interesting if they are mobilising to try and stop something from happening.

That's not even it. I could keep going and going but I'll stop.

2 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

My head canon for your head canon is that Barristan Blackfyre will take the sword Blackfyre and slay (f)Aegon and then Jon Snow to win Daenerys hand in marriage. He's already let one purple-eyed beauty get away and end up with a Stark who dishonored her, he won't let it happen again.  Barristan BlackFIRE not Barristan BlackMUD.

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

All the "x is really y in disguise/really a secret Targaryen/Bloodraven's second cousin twice removed" crackpots are BS.

:lmao:OMG. So funny.

I know that my theory is a tin foil. Though I'm absolutely sure, that there are still (aside from Varys and Illyrio) other conspirators, that plan to seize 7K, or to fulfill the prophecy about the Long Night, and bringing fAegon on political map of Westeros, and marrying Dany with Khal Drogo, were only a small parts of a bigger plan.

So Barristan Selmy could be a dark horse in this conspiracy.

He was born in Dornish Marches, shortly prior Third Blackfyre Rebellion. I think that it's possible, that when Aenys Blackfyre came to 7K, to attend Great Council, and was executed by Bloodraven, maybe one of his relatives came with him to Westeros. That relative was a female, either his sister (daughter of Daemon I Blackfyre), or his cousin (daughter of  Bittersteel). Then because of a 6 years long winter, she was stuck at Selmy's castle, where she fell in love with their Lord, and later gave birth to his son Barristan. When Blackfyre rebells failed again, in their Third Rebellion, she was taken back to Tyrosh by Bittersteel, while her baby was left in Westeros. Barristan served as squire of Lord Swann. Years later he saved Jayne Swann from Kingswood Brotherhood. 

Marchen lords supported Blackfyres in First and Second rebellions against Targaryens. Barristan's father was a marchen lord, same as Lord Swann. Barristan could have squired for whatever random lord, but for some reason GRRM made him serve to Swann family. And Barristan saved Jeyne Swann, and not some random girl with some other last name. And this happened in 281 AC, Aegon Targaryen was born either in 281 or 282. So if Jeyne and Barristan had sex, after he saved her, and she became pregnant, then by age her baby can be fAegon. GRRM used Swann family name for one more character, years prior Barristan's birth - Johanna Swann.

Johanna Swann was de-facto ruler of Lys, and member of Triarchy, that fought against Targaryens, and supported Dorne in war against them. The Triarchy was an alliance between Myr, Lys and Tyrosh, three colonial daughters of the Valyrian Freehold.

Mother of Aegon IV, Larra Rogarre was from Lys. Same as Aegon's last mistress Serenei of Lys, that gave birth to his daughter Shiera Seastar (who became the main reason for animocity between Bloodraven and Bittersteel). Wife of first Blackfyre and founder of their "dynasty" was from Tyrosh. Their marriage was arranged by Archon of Tyrosh. Other things that ruler of Tyrosh arranged more recently include:

"the green-haired daughter of the Archon of Tyrosh was sent to Dorne as a child and used to play in the Water Gardens with Princess Arianne Martell."

"Doran Martell, Prince of Dorne, reveals to his daughter, Princess Arianne, that at one point she was to have been sent to Tyrosh to serve as the Archon's cupbearer, so she could have met her betrothed, Viserys Targaryen, in secret.

"The green-bearded brother of the Archon of Tyrosh attends the introduction of Daenerys Targaryen to her future husband Khal Drogo at Drogo’s nine-towered manse in Pentos."

So there is a conspiracy, either by Blackfyres or even by their predessessors, other archenemies of Targaryens - those Valyrian families, that weren't as lucky as Targaryens, and didn't managed to save their dragons during Doom of Valyria.

Though I'm not saying that Barristan is a Big Evil Boss of the Final Level. He's more like Lord Bloodraven - Blackfyre royal to Targaryens. So he will use his connection to Bittersteel (who was his grandfather, or great uncle, and who was founder of Golden Company), to stop fAegon and Golden Company from attaking Dany, when their paths will cross in Westeros.

11 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:
  • Rhaegar, Dany and Jon are the three heads of the dragon (too many parallels between the 3 to ignore, I think)
  • Arya will go back to Westeros with Dany
  • House Martell will be ousted from power or obliterated by the end of Winds, by their own vassals
  • Jon Conn, Aegon will get to meet Jon Snow
  • Howland Reed knew exactly what he would find at the ToJ
  • I think whatever Mel might do to bring back Jon will weaken the Wall and make it easier to breach that way
  • Jon will be regent for Rickon
  • The Blackwood - Bracken feud contributed to the fall of the Targaryens. 

I forgot these two;

• Arya will figure out what Varys and Illyrio did and hopefully expose them. That whole conversation she overheard can't not come back.
  • Aerys found out that Lyanna was the mystery knight at Harrenhal and the shit hit the fan right after.

- Jon will be resurrected but will not become the King of the North and would abandon the Night’s watch. He will roam around the North or maybe another place to prepare for the Long Night and will re-emerge again to help fight against it.Then after the war retreat back to solitude, renouncing any ties to royalty 

- Sansa will use her manipulation to rule the Vale, and imprison LF but in a last ditch effort hires faceless men and Arya ends up killing Sansa (Alayne)

- Bran learns everything from Bloodraven and takes control of one of Dany’s dragons to fight the Others and afterwards may die and live within Summer or the dragon

- Aegon will be liked by Westeros but Dany will expose him as an imposter and kill him causing Westeros to rebel against Dany or Aegon is real and he finds and rides Cannibal 

- Arriane will be kidnapped by Euron, not sure where this will go

- Euron will summon Krakens

- Jaime will kill Cersei, and conspire with Tyrion to kill Dany 

5 hours ago, Megorova said:

The Blackfyre line didn’t descend from Bittersteel - it was his bastard half-brother Daemon Blackfyre. Bittersteel was a great bastard but not a Blackfyre.

9 hours ago, Springwatch said:

But that would be excellent! I think the Others do have a culture, foreshadowed by the pale inhabitants of Qarth and other things. The only snag is fitting it all into two books.

I agree it would be great fun to read. I think the prologue also hints at the Others having a culture and thus potential to become characters. In addition, Sansa's attraction to cold seems almost like a compulsion rather than simple homesickness (?) so I think it's been hinted also that Sansa might tie in with the Others at some point excepting the only two books left problem. Have no idea how that might work at all.

And if she was forced into yet another marriage or "marriage" with the Others of all people, she might well be like Mad Danelle, though perhaps mad in a different way!

Despite the time problem, this might be my head canon idea for Sansa. Nothing else sounds quite right for her. Those head canon ideas are sneaky bastards. I keep finding them in unexpected places!

1. R+L=J : I don't even consider this one a question anymore. 

2. Arianne will marry Aegon and tell her father to bring his army in support of Aegon. 

3. Aegon is not Aegon Targaryen. I would guess he is a Blackfyre, probably through Ilyrio's late wife. I would like to see him admit this (but that is only my own wish).

4. Sansa will kill Petyr Bailish or be directly responsible for his downfall (again this might be wishful thinking, but I think it could happen).

5. Jon Snow is not dead, and only injured in some serious way. Melisandre will save him.

6. The Riverlords will rise against the Lannisters soon, led by Lord Tytos Blackwood (I got give my namesake some shout out). The BwB along with the Riverlords will be responsible for some massacre to the Frey's family tree. I also wonder if the Riverlords won't help Aegon in some way just by eliminating Lannisters. 

7. The Children of the Forest are not what they appear. Bran probably ate Jojen Reed. That story line is murky outside of that, but I think it could be a very morally gray storyline. 

8. Tyrion will continue to be worshipped by fanboys and fangirls no matter how many whores he rapes. They will defend his every action reminding us all how rape culture works. 

9. Catelyn, Sansa, Daenerys, and Brienne will continue to be hated no matter what they do, by a certain subset of the fandom *cough sexists and mysigonists cough*, reminding us all how sexism works.

10. A lot of people will die. 

10 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

He's described as having dark brown hair and grey eyes. Robert had black hair and blue eyes. Nothing Baratheon about Jon.

Thanks for confirming that, it's one less thing to remember to look out for in the re-read :thumbsup:

Another thing I've been wondering, what with GRRM's facility with killing off characters etc etc, is whether this whole story is the swansong of human habitation of Westeros and the Others sweep down and destroy the whole lot by the end of the series....

11 hours ago, maudisdottir said:
17 hours ago, Megorova said:

The Blackfyre line didn’t descend from Bittersteel - it was his bastard half-brother Daemon Blackfyre. Bittersteel was a great bastard but not a Blackfyre.

Bittersteel and Daemon both were sons of Aegon IV. Half-brothers.

Daemon had 7 sons, and at least two daughters, among them Calla Blackfyre. Calla became wife of Bittersteel, she was also his half-niece. So Aegor's children were 50% Blackfyres thru their mother Calla. If Calla's and Aegor's daughter was mother of Barristan, then he is 25% Blackfyre thru his mother's line.

Barristan Selmy is 25% Blackfyre, thru his grandmother Calla Blackfyre, wife of Aegor Rivers. Same as Robert Baratheon was 25% Targaryen, thru his grandmother Rhaelle Targaryen, wife of Ormund Baratheon.

1. Grandson of Bittersteel, but nevertheless a Blackfyre.

2. Or son of Lord Selmy and second daughter of Daemon Blackfyre, niece of Bittersteel. Thus Bittersteel's grand nephew, and 50% Blackfyre thru his mother.

And 3. Or could be that his mother was daughter of Aenys Blackfyre. In this case Barristan is 25% Blackfyre, thru his grandfather Aenys Blackfyre, and Bittersteel is his great-grand uncle (half).

It was mentioned in ASOIAF or one of side stories, that male line of Blackfyres ended with Maelys the Monstrous, that was killed by Barristan. Though female line of Blackfyres are still continuing in Essos. Which was also mentioned at some point by Illyrio Mopatis.

"In Essos, Illyrio Mopatis tells Tyrion Lannister that when Maelys died, the male line of House Blackfyre came to an end. That night, Tyrion has a nightmare where he has two heads, and fights in battle alongside Barristan Selmy and Bittersteel, slaying his father and brother while his second head weeps.[3] " <- ADWD chapter 5.

Blackfyres' female line can continue thru two daughters of Daemon, of thru daughters of one of his seven sons.

When Daemon II went to Westeros, to start Second Rebellion, he was already 24 years old. He could have been married, and had children, even though he was supposedly gay. When Haegon died during Third Rebellion, he already had several sons.

Aenys was executed in 233, at that time he was at least 37 years old (his father Daemon died in 196). So it's likely that by the time of his arrival to Westeros, Aenys was already married, and had several children, and took one of his daughters with him. Though he didn't fully trusted to Bloodraven's promise, so he left his daughter at Selmy's castle. Most likely Selmys were Blackfyres' loyalists and supporters. Because their castle is in Dornish Marches, and marchen lords supported Blackfyres during first two Rebellions, and they also killed King Maekar in Peake's Uprising, after which was gathered Great Council of 233, that Aenys attended.

Then that daughter was stuck in Westeros because of long winter. When the winter ended, Blackfyres arrived to Westeros with their Fourth Rebellion, as payback to Targaryens for killing Aenys.

"during the Great Council in 233 AC, Daemon's uncle, Haegon's younger brother, Aenys Blackfyre, had tried to make his claim, and travelled to King's Landing, but he was arrested and killed on the orders of Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers.[3] This caused the enmity of the exiles in Essos to harden, instead of lessen. As a six-year, cruel, winter was ending, Daemon decided to make the crossing.[1] "

"Daemon III Blackfyre led his forces across the narrow sea, with Aegor Rivers and the Golden Company at his back, and landed at Massey's Hook."

Fourth Rebellion was in 236. Barristan Selmy was born in 236 or 237. If he was born in 236, then could be that his mother arrived to Westeros together with Aenys. And after that spent 3 years in Selmy's castle, prior giving birth to Barristan. Could be that after that, she either died in childbirth, or was taken back to Essos by Bittersteel. If Baristan was born in 237, could be that his mother arrived to Westeros in 236 during Fourth Rebellion, and was left at Selmy's castle. Either she participated in battle and was seriously wounded, thus Bittersteel left her in care of Blackfyres' loyalists - Selmy family. Or she was given to Selmys as a gift for their support of Blackfyres.

1. Time of Barristan's birth (236 or 237) coincides with Fourth Blackfyres Rebellion (236).

2. Same as time of Aegon's birth (281 or 282), and thus also fAegon's birth coincides with Barristan saving Jeyne Swann (281).

3. He saved not some random Jane Doe, but relative of his previous master - Jeyne Swann.

4. Barristan served as squire to Lord Swann. Years before that another Swann was enemy of Targaryens - Johanna Swann, member of Triarchy.

5. Barristan is marchen lord, and marchen lords supported Blackfyres.

6. Swanns are also marchen lords.

Six facts combination of which, could be prove of a possibility, that Barristan Selmy is a Blackfyre, are too much to be just coincidences. Either those are clues given by GRRM, or he just likes to add some smoke and mirrors to his books, and those are intentional misleads.

Archived