Sign in to follow this  
Kalbear

Persepolis Rising (Book 7 of the Expanse) - SPOILERS

30 minutes ago, Happy Ent said:

Mixed bag. Two good chapters, but a lot of filler.

Chapter 23 sees Drummer in the arboretum of People’s Home. The description seems to disregard the effects of various gravity schemes on plant physiology – hormone production under coriolis, in particular for auxins, ethylene, gibberellins, and cytokinins. This is a huge blunder in an otherwise well-researched series. Maybe it can be rationalised because Drummer refers to the trees as “experimental”.

My theory is that the Trade Federation does have protomolecule access, and has used it to construct plant-based superwarriors in the void cities, to finally take on Laconia. Extremely intriguing.

Chapter 26 pays some more attention to the forgotten voices of Medina, when we see a park with trees. Pollination is mentioned, but only with Victorian embarrassment. Clearly, Space Opera is still not ready for some explicit descriptions of insect pollination – half a generation after a lesbian kiss on Deep Space 9

Some lazy imagery plant violence remains (“like an arrow shot into a tree”, “cut the rot out of the tree”, …), which will probably forever haunt this genre.

In the final chapter (52: Naomi) there is finally payoff after all this buildup, when we get some poetic imagery of anemophily on Freehold.

Thank you for this, I cried.

Lol best review yet

Honestly the lack of accuracy re: gibberellins in sci-fi / space opera has been a tragedy of the genre and we should all be collectively ashamed that it's gone on for so long unchecked.

On 12/02/2018 at 10:45 PM, larrytheimp said:

Honestly the lack of accuracy re: gibberellins in sci-fi / space opera has been a tragedy of the genre and we should all be collectively ashamed that it's gone on for so long unchecked.

Amen. And people keep wondering why there are so few arboreal authors.

Just finished last night. Still need time to think where I'd rank it, but towards the lower end along with Babylon's Ashes I think. Not a bad thing, all the books are good, but not at the top with Leviathan Wakes, Abaddon's Gate, and Nemesis Games for me.

I do find that the series has struggled a bit for me by being so episodic. Four books into it, I'm like hell yeah. 7 books in and the formula is showing and I'm ready to see plot progression. I dislike the move away from the more exploratory alien story of the first few books to the straight out war stories of the past three. The first few had a solid mix of both, but the past few books have pretty much completely neglected the alien mystery which was so prominent at the start. We learned of the eaters destroying the protomolecue species in book 3, and four books later we've pretty much had no forward movement on that. I find that frustrating, even as I enjoy the political human stuff. I think that should have been better spaced out. In Ice and Fire, the Others stuff is in the background with the politics at the forefront. But the first four books of The Expanse, it was pretty half and half, central to the plot. Taking a back seat so much makes it feel like spinning wheels. Hopefully the last two will pick up.

I agree with a lot of people - the thirty year gap did not work at all for me. It was a suspension of disbelief that I could never truly get over. The aging of the characters was handled horribly. They complained about being sore, but honestly it felt more like the wear and tear you'd feel or start experiencing in your late thirties, not sixty, seventy, eighty plus. Literally no one changed in thirty years. Avasarala, despite being ninety plus, is the exact same sharp tongued politician. Bobbie has spent thirty years with these people, and she still feels like an outside and just started shipping out with them. You get a sense outside of Alex she barely knows these people. I compare with my best friend I just made in the last year - we know each other so well. Bobbie has been living in intimate quarters with people for thirty - there's just no weight to it. Same with Clarissa. Hell, Clarissa still reads like a 19 or twenty year old, and is even described as 'girl' repeatedly, with no sense of weight that she's now a fifty year old woman. I don't buy any of it. No new crew? No changes? I mean, think about how much changed for the Roci in the few years since Leviathan Wakes. New crew members, big shifts, etc. None of that in thirty years? 

It's interesting that they failed so badly in showing the age of the characters change, as it's a point that Abraham did really well in The Long Price.

I fail to see why such a gap was necessary. Cut it down to five and I'd believe it. Or do what other posters said - have new POVS, which I really think 7 books into this series was needed. It's starting to feel a tad stagnant. 

Also, I struggled to believe Amos being a full psychopath and nearly killing Bobbie (trying to!) is brushed off as 'ah, got it out of our system!' Like, no. He would have killed a close friend of thirty years if she hadn't been better than him. From a tactician standpoint, it's a poor as hell idea to keep someone so volatile and murderous on board. From a friend standpoint, I'm sorry, I just can't believe they'd keep him around and treat him like family. 

Agreed with others: Drummer was a forgettable POV to lead the war and Clarissa's death could be seen coming a mile away. 

So that was a lot of moaning, made it seem like I disliked the book. Honestly, I didn't, these books are always quality, but this one wasn't quite up to par for me. 

Edited by IllusiveMan

I liked the plot, a lot. I think Duarte is the best villain they've had in the series so far.

I thought the character development of the Roci folks was awful, though. The 30 year time gap not changing anything, as mentioned by others, killed my suspension of disbelief. The Amos and Bobbie fight was ridiculous. Bobbie just randomly beats the shit out of him after he insults her for prying into his emotions. Amos the guy who goes on base and beats the shit out of people didn't gelwith Mr. Morality Jim HOlden.