Football: Four Amigos

AncalagonTheBlack

6 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

:huh: Milinkovic-Sakic would be so damn perfect but he’d cost more than VVD. Guy is an absolute beast for Lazio and could go wherever he wanted. 

I'm really hoping that we throw our hats in the ring for Milinkovic-Sakic as well. Rumours say that Lazio want around £90m. And if we aren't in for Goretzka as well then we're doing it wrong. At the end of the day, Klopp has the right idea here. If Liverpool are ever going to be elevated to the level of genuine league and CL contenders then these are the types of players that need to be signed. There will be stiff competition for all three targets though.

18 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Also being reported from a usually reliable Liverpool source (Melissa Reddy) that Klopp will attempt to bring in Goretzka, Milinkovic-Savic and Lemar for next season.

Goretzka? That's aiming rather high. His contract is running out, and there are quite a few suitors for his service. It's been rumored for over a year, that he will join his favorite club Bayern, then after his performances in the Confed Cup, Barcelona is rumoredly very interested (and favorite at his moment). And Schalke themselves have offered him a club record deal  (10m € annualy + and to succeed Fährmann as Captain at some point), which is of course nothing for EPL clubs. So I would guess Liverpool is probably a longshot, when it comes down to where he ends up. Getting a player of his quality, who will just turn 23 in Februrary, there's probably quite a long list of clubs who would want him on a free.

30 minutes ago, Notone said:

Goretzka? That's aiming rather high. His contract is running out, and there are quite a few suitors for his service. It's been rumored for over a year, that he will join his favorite club Bayern, then after his performances in the Confed Cup, Barcelona is rumoredly very interested (and favorite at his moment). And Schalke themselves have offered him a club record deal  (10m € annualy + and to succeed Fährmann as Captain at some point), which is of course nothing for EPL clubs. So I would guess Liverpool is probably a longshot, when it comes down to where he ends up. Getting a player of his quality, who will just turn 23 in Februrary, there's probably quite a long list of clubs who would want him on a free.

I know all that. There's no guarantee that Liverpool (or United) will sign him but this is the sort of quality player that the clubs should be aiming for. It seems Barca favour a move for Coutinho and Arthur from Gremio so I think Bayern are still favourites. Marca reporting that Griezmann is a backup option should the move for Coutinho fail to materialize. It doesn't hurt to make him a good offer though (salary + signing on bonus) and see what happens. As you say, money is no object for English clubs.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Also being reported from a usually reliable Liverpool source (Melissa Reddy) that Klopp will attempt to bring in Goretzka, Milinkovic-Savic and Lemar for next season.

Milinkovic-Savic could face problems getting the work permit since he's not a regular international player.

One of the reasons Serbian national team manager was sacked is that he didn't call SMS (another player's name acronym right there) to play for the national team. He claimed SMS didn't fit in with his vision of how our national team should play, which eventually cost him his job.

Hopefully, SMS gets a few games for Serbian national team, has a great World Cup and joins Liverpool in the summer. :D 

58 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I know all that. There's no guarantee that Liverpool (or United) will sign him but this is the sort of quality player that the clubs should be aiming for. It seems Barca favour a move for Coutinho and Arthur from Gremio so I think Bayern are still favourites. Marca reporting that Griezmann is a backup option should the move for Coutinho fail to materialize. It doesn't hurt to make him a good offer though (salary + signing on bonus) and see what happens. As you say, money is no object for English clubs.

Last thing I heard was, that Barcelona has given up on Coutinho for now, since Liverpool wasn't really going budge, so Goretzka is their preference for now. He might not have the same name recognition as Coutinho, however he is quite high profile, too. German International, Confed Cup winner, and will very likely be present for the German team in Russia (Kroos, Neuer (if fit), ter Stegen, Hummels and Kimmich (to a somewhat lesser extent) are probably the only players that can be certain to be present; Werner, Goretza and few others are in the 80-90% call up category). And Greizmann is a different player. Griezmann is a forward. Goretzka is a #8 or #10 player. And given his age, he might be a pretty good successor for an aging Iniesta, and Busquets and Rakitic are approaching their 30s, too.

For United Goretzka might make sense, as they looked very uninspiring without Pogba (and with him struggling to find his form after the injury), and he could also fill the #10 slot.

Liverpool could need him, too. Can hasn't signed a new contract, so let's assume he is off to Juve, were Countinho to move to Barcelona afterall, they'd need a replacement for that position.

For Bayern that signing is not as urgent. They've just filled their biggest hole (a backup for Lewandowski) with Sandro Wagner (not Goretzka's position anyway). And their midfield is pretty crowded already. Vidal is probably leaving for Chelsea or China, or whoever is willing to throw enough Chash at him. For them it's securing the services of Germany's future star player, as that's part of their identity, that they want the best German players to play for the best German club.

47 minutes ago, baxus said:

Milinkovic-Savic could face problems getting the work permit since he's not a regular international player.

Do Serbian's need to go through that work permit thing in England? I thought that was for non European players.

Seems like Liverpool have agreed a fee with Basel for Manuel Akanji as well. From the little I've seen of him in the Champions League and against N. Ireland in the playoff, he appears to be a good player.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

One of the reasons Serbian national team manager was sacked is that he didn't call SMS (another player's name acronym right there) to play for the national team. He claimed SMS didn't fit in with his vision of how our national team should play, which eventually cost him his job.

Did he text instead?

Former world player of the year (and Chelsea legend...) George Weah wins Liberia presidential election. When football meets politics.

Wonder which footballer from this generation would make a good president / prime mininster. Imagine big Crouchie ducking under the door frame of 10 Downing Street to wave at his adoring voters. #crouchiein

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

It's being reported that Everton have agreed a deal with Besiktas for striker Cenk Tosun for £25m.

Some positives:

- He’s neither young and promising, nor old and past it. We have too many in the first category, and while an experienced striker wouldn’t harm in the short run, we lack players in the 25-30 bracket.

- He has scored a few goals in Turkey, so it’s not a complete gamble

- He’s not a tall, imposing striker in the Samuele mould. Which may (but probably won’t) signify an attempt to playing the ball. 

Other than that, a gamble. But not one I’m averse to the club making.

2 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Former world player of the year (and Chelsea legend...) George Weah wins Liberia presidential election. When football meets politics.

And his running mate was the Ex-Wife of Charles Taylor. Yes, the former president who serving time for crimes against humanity and war crimes. Why is that relevant? Because he is rumoredly still pulling the strings in the background. Well, I guess as a Chelsea legend he is used to deal with dubious figures in the background - hey Roman.

I know cheap shot and stuff, but I couldn't resist it.

Only saw the last half hour of the Old Firm but it was an entertaining enough half hour. No idea how Alfredo Morelos is top scorer in the SPL given some of the chances he missed.  

I’d imagine Brendan Rodgers is happy enough with the score, even though two points were dropped which means Aberdeen have a chance to narrow the gap to 6 points if they can win at home to Hearts later on.

It’s unusual to see a season in recent years where there is actually a more interesting title race in Scotland than there is in England.

Samuele talking earlier about how we struggle to create chances. Then he fields a team with three defensive midfielders plus Aaron Lennon, and Sigurdsson still on the wing. 

There’s a link here, Samuele.

Also, I struggle mightily to find any justification at all for playing McCarthy. Sure, he’s good when he’s in form - but he’s been constantly injured for two years, and we have several players in his position who are as good or better. McCarthy should be on the extreme fringes of the team now, while we wait for his contract to run out. 

Instead, he plays, and gives the ball away very easily. Bournemouth score. 

So, Samuele, for your second half: Rooney and Bolasie on, Lennon off, McCarthy on the first plane to ... wherever we can’t play him. 

The stream I had today - I had even paid for it - was incoherent, jammy, stop-start, repetitive and utterly useless.

I think it was trying to tell me something about the Everton team that took the field today, but I’m not sure what.

We pulled out a win despite missing a ton of chances after gifting a goal to a tough opponent who loves to sit deep.  That was a good three points to collect.  I hope the players aren’t too exhausted with another game on Monday.  Madness. 

I’m glad Bournemouth collected a win.  They’re naive at times but at least they try to play.  Allardyce must think he’s auditioning to replace Mourinho after he slinks off to PSG. 

Archived