Football: Four Amigos

AncalagonTheBlack

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You say that, but this is near enough the same Leicester side that won the league, with Iborra and Ndidi replacing the midfield two, and finally starting to actually play like that team again. They'll need luck, of course, and Mahrez not to leave in January or lose focus if he doesn't, but they're capable of sticking runs together and bothering the big guys, even if they're not gonna repeat the trick.

Burnley you'd have to imagine less so, their squad just isn't big enough. Watford are already dropping off.

They are good enough on their day to trouble the big boys but over the course of the season, the top six are just too strong. Leicester (or anyone outside the top six) will need to both have a good season and hope that one of the top six has a bad season.

35 minutes ago, Nas! said:

Horse of Kent: have you considered asking the club to pay for your future tickets?

My Dad has a spare season ticket so he can invite family/friends along. Strangely he has been inviting me more often recently than my brother who hasn't seen West Ham score in Stratford yet.

27 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Zaza looks a completely different player compared to his time at West Ham and even Juve. Just knocked in another goal and is second only to Messi in the La Liga goal scoring charts.

I haven't been watching either this game or La Liga in general but I noticed that that Sisto fella who gave us real trouble for Mityland a couple seasons back has been tearing it up in La Liga this season. I assume he's not done much yet today but how long before he's linked all over the Premiership?

43 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

My Dad has a spare season ticket so he can invite family/friends along. Strangely he has been inviting me more often recently than my brother who hasn't seen West Ham score in Stratford yet.

Due to the family connection, would West Ham be the PL team you’d follow closest?

A friend of mine - who is an Arsenal fan - went to West Ham v Swansea earlier this season and told me that the Olympic Stadium is really a lot more impressive in real life.

48 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I haven't been watching either this game or La Liga in general but I noticed that that Sisto fella who gave us real trouble for Mityland a couple seasons back has been tearing it up in La Liga this season. I assume he's not done much yet today but how long before he's linked all over the Premiership?

Despite not registering a goal or assist, he had a good game today. Looks to be an impressive attacking player although the defensive side of his game could use some work. Definitely any premier league side looking for a left winger should be keeping an eye on him and Guedes. Arsenal seem to have set their sights on Lemar but they wouldn't go wrong with either of these players either and both would likely cost much less as well.

Guedes in particular is unlikely to see much game time at PSG with Neymar in that position. Shouldn't be much trouble outbidding Valencia, although his performances is likely to attract a number of suitors next season. I wouldn't mind if we go after Guedes. Even though he prefers to play on the left as an inverted winger, I think he can do the job on the right as well. Blistering pace, excellent dribbler, good finisher and puts in a defensive shift as well.

Well, the local boys in red did it! Top of the MLS table, Canadian Champions, and now winners of the league cup! 

After the disappointing end to last year, it was nice to see TFC execute their gameplan perfectly and tear through Seattle. If it wasn't for their fantastic keeper, there could have been many, many more goals.

Now it's onwards to CONCACAF Champions League this winter!

14 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Due to the family connection, would West Ham be the PL team you’d follow closest?

Yes. Southampton too, for similar reasons, but to a lesser extent.

14 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

A friend of mine - who is an Arsenal fan - went to West Ham v Swansea earlier this season and told me that the Olympic Stadium is really a lot more impressive in real life.

Not as a football stadium. All the seats are miles from the pitch and/or on scaffolding, it is almost impossible to generate an atmosphere with so much empty space and different types of fan intermingled. Worse to me, though there is not much that could have been done to prevent this, is how it has none of that community spirit that made Upton Park so great. The Olympic Stadium is just so soulless.

8 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Well, the local boys in red did it! Top of the MLS table, Canadian Champions, and now winners of the league cup! 

After the disappointing end to last year, it was nice to see TFC execute their gameplan perfectly and tear through Seattle. If it wasn't for their fantastic keeper, there could have been many, many more goals.

Now it's onwards to CONCACAF Champions League this winter!

congratulations! the crowd looked well into it! loved all the flares and smoke at the end!

the play was mostly unconvincing by both teams,  but I never doubted that Toronto would find the goals.

regardless, Toronto had a special season. this truly might be the best single season any team in mls has ever had.  

22 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

congratulations! the crowd looked well into it! loved all the flares and smoke at the end!

the play was mostly unconvincing by both teams,  but I never doubted that Toronto would find the goals.

regardless, Toronto had a special season. this truly might be the best single season any team in mls has ever had.  

Cheers. Yah, it was a great night. A little tough at first because anyone outside of the supporters sections were not guaranteed their regular seats for the final. I'm surprised Don Garber did not get more boos than he did.

My favourite piece of the night was watching local boy Osorio. He had been good for us all season, but sometimes he seems to lack a bit of confidence. Tonight, the kid was a beast. All over the place, making moves and completing basically every pass he attempted. Great thing to see for local football.

So Dortmund sack Bosz and replace him with Stöger who was recently sacked from bottom club Köln. Bosz clearly had to go, having taken Dortmund from title challengers to seventh place in just a few months.

I assume Stöger being his replacement doesn’t seem as strange to avid Bundesliga followers as it does to outsiders?

ETA: Coutinho, Firmino out. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Solanke in. Big calls from Klopp?

Firmino and Mane will most likely start, since they were taken off last game and both are pretty fit players. If they play 4-4-2 again, Sturridge and Firmino could start up front, with Mane and Ox on the wings. Salah and Coutinho off the bench.

edit: Giroud doing his thing. Again. I don't know why they bring him on and barely put on any crosses. He pretty much scored from the only cross in that last 25min!

4 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Firmino and Mane will most likely start, since they were taken off last game and both are pretty fit players. If they play 4-4-2 again, Sturridge and Firmino could start up front, with Mane and Ox on the wings. Salah and Coutinho off the bench.

According to the team sheet, Firmino is on the bench. Solanke has been given the nod in the centre forward role.

1 minute ago, JordanJH1993 said:

According to the team sheet, Firmino is on the bench. Solanke has been given the nod in the centre forward role.

Yeah just saw that. Interesting move giving Solanke a chance instead of Sturridge (not even on bench!). I wonder if they will set up as 4-4-2 again with Ox and Mane on the wings or 4-3-3 with Ox playing as an 8.

Great bit of skill by Salah to put Liverpool in front. Mane was a bit too greedy after that; a simple ball across and Liverpool would have been 2-0 up easy. That should be that really. Everton are over-matched and tend to wilt at Anfield anyway. It's not been a great watch and I expect the Manchester derby to be the same; only one team making all the running while the other defends for their lives hoping to nick something on the counter or from a set piece.

Archived