Lord Luthors Horse

Tom Cruise

Lord Luthor rode is horse off a cliff....  Well that's the story anyway.

Does anyone here know if a horse would actually allow itself to be rode off of a cliff?  I don't know about horses at all, but this seems like an obvious lie....  

Suppose old Olenna had him killed; is this just so she can take control of the House or is there something else here driving plot that I'm totally missing?  

My assumption is Olenna had Luthor killed and it was simply her playing the game of thrones.  I'm curious if Luthor is simply shown to us to make us aware that Olenna is a total badass.

I can't explain the horse, but it's been suggested Lothor managed to skinchange his falcons. Haggon says bird skinchangers go a bit crazy:

"... I know skinchangers who've tried hawks, owls, ravens. Even in their own skins, they sit moony, staring up at the bloody blue."

It fits well enough.

Interesting idea, but everyone seems to accept it at face value as far as I remember. Whenever it's mentioned people think/say "Wow Luthor must have been an idiot" not "Wait why would a horse ride off of a cliff?"

I'll admit it does sound strange, but seeing as we don't see anyone even question it I would assume that it's plausible.

Well, to play Devil's advocate, we don't really know what occurred when Luthor fell off the cliff. For all we know he and his group could've walked close to a cliff's edge and his horse accidentally slipped and fell down, and that developed into the story that he was riding full speed without a care for where he was riding and just ran his horse off a cliff. Honestly, real stories change to seem more comical to the listener.

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

I can't explain the horse, but it's been suggested Lothor managed to skinchange his falcons. Haggon says bird skinchangers go a bit crazy:

It fits well enough.

I like this.

7 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

Does anyone here know if a horse would actually allow itself to be rode off of a cliff?  I don't know about horses at all, but this seems like an obvious lie....  

Suppose old Olenna had him killed; is this just so she can take control of the House or is there something else here driving plot that I'm totally missing?  

My assumption is Olenna had Luthor killed and it was simply her playing the game of thrones.  I'm curious if Luthor is simply shown to us to make us aware that Olenna is a total badass.

I can assure you from years of observation in my younger days that the horse most certainly would have been ridden off the cliff if it had been ridden by Wile E. Coyote. I think we can infer that Lord Luthor was hunting road runners. 

4 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

Well, I had a horse for a while when I was a kid. And each of my aunts had horses. I live in a very surf n' turf area that is a mix of farms and waterways. I can only tell you from my experience that a horse will not do what it doesn't want to do, and self preservation is kinda high on the equine list of priorities. That and eating grass with too much sugar just to make themselves sick so their owners spend a small fortune nurturing them back to health.

To me it seems like an idiom along the lines of, "shoot yourself in the foot."

But in truth, I think @Lost Melnibonean has the right of it. Meep meep!

4 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

Horses can panic fairly easily. Olenna likes to poopoo lots of people and denigrate their intelligence. It's perfectly in line for her to exaggerate her husband's death and omitting that his horse was spooked by a bear/wolf/lion (or something similar). 

5 hours ago, Springwatch said:

I can't explain the horse, but it's been suggested Lothor managed to skinchange his falcons.

Actually, it's more likely Olenna was the skinchanger and "rode" her husband's horse to the brink of the cliff then threw him off. The story grew in the re-telling; moreover, being a skinchanger is such a useful skill that Olenna has kept it a secret. Olenna is undoubtedly "riding" Lady Taena Merriweather whenever Taena schmoozes with Cersei. That way, the old lady can collect intelligence first hand, rather than having it filtered through the eyes and memory of a younger woman, and losing critical detail from her recitation. Who else/what other animals might Olenna be utilizing? Since she's good with horses, we need to examine more closely every incidence where someone has ridden or been around a horse. Is her control range limited in any way? Must she needs have met the animal/person at some point?

Good question!

I doubt either of them are skinchangers....  To me it seems like Olenna had Luthor killed in a power grab and came up with the lame excuse of his horse riding off a cliff.

Which goes back to the original question: is this just meant as character development to show us what Olenna is capable of?  I think it gives her some cred for her actions at the Purple Wedding.

I'm interested in hearing more about how either of them could be linked to skin changing...  Do we have any direct evidence of skinchangers in the South at all in the current time frame? 

17 hours ago, Springwatch said:

It fits well enough.

Where is that mentioned?

11 hours ago, zandru said:

Actually, it's more likely Olenna was the skinchanger and "rode" her husband's horse to the brink of the cliff then threw him off. The story grew in the re-telling; moreover, being a skinchanger is such a useful skill that Olenna has kept it a secret. Olenna is undoubtedly "riding" Lady Taena Merriweather whenever Taena schmoozes with Cersei. That way, the old lady can collect intelligence first hand, rather than having it filtered through the eyes and memory of a younger woman, and losing critical detail from her recitation. Who else/what other animals might Olenna be utilizing? Since she's good with horses, we need to examine more closely every incidence where someone has ridden or been around a horse. Is her control range limited in any way? Must she needs have met the animal/person at some point?

Good question!

Wow!  Such a powerful skinchanger and yet there is no hint of it in the text.  I'm especially impressed that she can skinchange an intelligent human being without anyone noticing.

1 hour ago, White Ravens said:

I'm especially impressed that she can skinchange an intelligent human being without anyone noticing.

Well, Olenna's consistent story is that Luthor was not intelligent. But Lady Merriweather? She'd almost have to consent to be "ridden."

3 hours ago, White Ravens said:

It fits well enough.

Where is that mentioned?

It's been suggested here on the forum. I'm saying it's not my original idea.

The horse isn't really a problem. Horses do sometimes get out of the control of their riders and run blindly into trouble, especially fast, highly-bred horses - and I'm sure that's what Lothor had. It needn't have been bolting in panic either - if he was driving it to go  top speed, whilst his attention was with the bird in the sky, that would be enough.

In the days when rich, young men had fast horses instead of fast cars, they'd challenge their friends to road races and some of them got killed when the horse ran into a tree - too tired to think straight perhaps. It's a snippet of history I've been told, but have no way of verifying unfortunately. It was post Tudor times, I think.

26 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

In the days when rich, young men had fast horses

Good observation! If you re-read the classic book, "Black Beauty" (the story of a horse in his own words), you'll see that racing, drunken riding, and careless stunts were big among young men even centuries ago. Probably inherent in the species.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:24 PM, Tom Cruise said:

I'm having trouble seeing how Lady O could kill Luthor and make it seem like he rode off a cliff. (I think we can safely dispense with the skinchanger theory).

A much more simpler way would be to poison him -- maybe his wine, or perhaps even his pie. ;)

2 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

I'm having trouble seeing how Lady O could kill Luthor and make it seem like he rode off a cliff. (I think we can safely dispense with the skinchanger theory).

A much more simpler way would be to poison him -- maybe his wine, or perhaps even his pie. ;)

Clever. 

I'll bet she could have bought the poison from ACME. In a crate marked in red: ACME poison - Dangerous

Archived