Question for the mods: Bad-mouthing GRRM

Inevittable

Hi Mods, 

I have a quick question for you. Because the question relates to my PhD research, I need to put this here:

I am currently studying towards a PhD in Media, Culture and Communication at Keele University. My project title is An online ethnography of the fan community of the A Song of Ice and Fire novels and the Game of Thrones television adaptation and my aim is to investigate the history and current practices of the fan community of A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones.  With the permission of the owners of this website I am initiating this thread to try and encourage discussion about the topic described above. This topic is just one part of a much larger research project, and you may notice other threads around the forum.  An information sheet is available here, which will hopefully address any questions you may have about the research. The information sheet contains information about the research process, and also information about how your posts to this thread will be used. You are under no obligation to take part, however your help in the project would be much appreciated.  By posting in this thread you are agreeing to the statements on the consent sheet which is part of the information sheet linked to above. By posting in the thread you are agreeing that you are over 18.  There is a thread here which you are very welcome to join to discuss the research project or ask questions.  If you have any queries please let me know.

The question is: The Forum Style Guide says that, "although GRRM himself is not a member of this board, many of his friends and family are, and as a result we treat posts about him as if he were a member. So personal attacks on GRRM (as distinct from legitimate criticism of his work) will be deleted, as would personal attacks on a member."  Do you need to delete such posts often?  Can you give an example of wording that you would find acceptable and wording that you wouldn't?

Archived