NFL 2017: 3000 Miles to Jaceland

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, Lord Lyman said:

Patriots are losing in Miami and yet as a Patriots fan, it really doesn't surprise me. 

It's been said before that Miami is the closest thing to a division rival the Pats have.

Kinda like how the Jags used to be for the Manning Colts/

Cutler might have a job next year if he keeps this up.  Tannehill has a relatively team friendly $15mil or so for a few more years so if his knee heals it won't be in Miami, but if Smokin Jay keeps air mailing the first row on the 3rd and goal when everyone is covered, he might actually be useful somewhere next year.

And if I only had the madness to start Cutler or Flacco over the Red Rocket in C, I might have moved on...

So, that's game.  

I am AMAZED at how putrid the Pats are right now.  The D I can KIND of understand (no van Noy, no Flowers), but still- a 3 man rush that you can still pass all over?  Pats are not tackling either. Cutler is looking like a star which is distressing on every level.  

The O is just terrible.  Without Gronk the Pats have Cooks and nobody else who Brady can get to.  Amendola is... okay... but Hogan is still clearly hurt and they are not using the running backs at all.  The O has ONE third down conversion and that was just on a penalty.  I also get that the Pats O-line is hurting, not just losing Cannon but his back up and now relying on a third-string guy.  

Maybe if Gronk comes back next week the pats will get abck into it but the Dolphins are just so pumped and playing stronga nd the Pats are just stuck in neutral and fucking up at every turn.  Terrible.  

29 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It's been said before that Miami is the closest thing to a division rival the Pats have.

Kinda like how the Jags used to be for the Manning Colts/

I think it has to do with the stadium. The Pats are 8-9 in Miami and 15-3 vs. Miami in Foxborough.

Gruden is really fellating the Patriots and Patriots Way.  Is that his next dream job?  I mean the Patriots do everything right and rehabilitate all of the bad character guys that aren't multiple murderers.

2 minutes ago, Lord Lyman said:

I think it has to do with the stadium. The Pats are 8-9 in Miami and 15-3 vs. Miami in Foxborough.

This is since the 2000 season.  New England's loses with Buffalo and the Jets is a bit more even between home and away.

Buffalo (3 Home, 2 Away)

New York (6 Home, 5 Away)

I can't imagine the Pats are this bad but they sure looked it.  Again, injuries on D may be something to consider, but the O only has so many excuses.  0 for 11 on third down?  Wow.  That is a particular level of pure shit there.  The Pats looked utterly lost on all but two drives (the first TD drive and the last drive before they shat all over themselves near the end-zone).  Again, maybe the third-string Right Tackle they had in there accounted for some of the ugliness.  And Brady looked bad; he was not connecting, throwing behind receivers, throwing into double coverage, 2 picks.  And its not just that the O-line is hurt; Brady just seemed like he had nothing.

But the Pats looked utterly lifeless, no sense of urgency and no reaction to being pushed around.  The Pats were out-toughed both physically and mentally.  That may be the worst part of this is that the Pats got punched in the mouth and then... didn't fight back.  They just kept getting hit over and over again.  Miami was- like everyone else- hyped for this game and just were jazzed and ready for a fight and the Pats, by-in-large, laid down for them.  

Yeah, so ... bring on Pittsburgh? 

14 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

With 50 seconds left they should have gone for the TD.  Not getting back to the red zone w only one time out even if they recovered the onside kick.

The Pats needed two scores at that point- a TD and a FG.  If they go for it on 4th and miss it, they lose.  So you might as well go for the easy three there because you need it one way or the other.  Going for the FG was the right move. 

The wrong move was getting off the bus at Miami.

I have a feeling every season late in the season belichick lets Brady and other players pick plays and call shots just to show them how incredibly dependent they are on belichick. Like bull Durham letting the batter hit a homer. 

Well, Brady being hot garbage tonight gave me an unexpected win in one of my leagues.  Ended up advancing in 5 out of 7 leagues after making the playoffs in all 7.  Solid year, and both money leagues are still on the table.

8 hours ago, Lord Lyman said:

This. 

I don't read anything into Pats' losses in Miami. They just seem to happen in a way other losses don't for them.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

This. 

I don't read anything into Pats' losses in Miami. They just seem to happen in a way other losses don't for them.

My friends have been saying much the same thing.  I don't completely buy it.  Yes, in 2014, the Pats lost to Miami in the season opener, but it was in the 80s at game-time.  In 2015 they lost at Miami, but it was the last game of the season and seeding had already been finalized.  2016, Pats swept the Dolphins.  

Game time last night Pats were huge favorites in a game played in the upper 60s.  

The only excuse that computes is the depth of the Pats roster at game time.  Pats didn't have Gronk; Right tackle Marcus Cannon and his back up were both out.  Pats also are thin on D generally, but losing their best pass rusher Tre Flowers and best LB, Kyle van Noy.  Without those guys the Pats could neither rush the passer nor defend the interior of the field.  I think.  

What's crazy is that next Sunday the Pats will be in the game to decide home field through the playoffs and that means beating Pittsburgh, at Pittsburgh on a short week, against one of the more potent offenses in the NFL.  If Jay Cutler can do that to this D, so can Big Ben.  Which means the Pats need to get healthy this week.  

3 hours ago, Fez said:

This. 

I think my comparison to the aughts Jaguars is good. They were never really a threat for anything other than a wildcard once every decade, but had a habit of just giving the Manning Colts a handful once a season. It doesn't really mean anything definitive, but it's a noticeable little trend that football freaks like yours truly will examine in the coming decades while looking for clues on how to beat the McDaniels-Patricia-Belichick Jr. triumvirate that will take over three of the four AFC divisions.

Archived