Your 7

TommenIII

New around here, so forgive me if this question has already been discussed at length...

You have just ascended the Iron Throne, but unlike Kings/Queens of the past you have been granted the power to pick a Kings/Queensguard consisting of any warriors throughout history. Who do you pick and why?

I sought characters that are strong, loyal, and honorable.  Strong so that they can get the job done.  Loyal so they do not betray me. Honorable to help maintain justice and avoid scandal.  I also wanted to avoid lords and first sons of lords who need to stay to rule their own territory.  Here is my Queensguard dream team. 

1.  Aemon the Dragon Knight- Fulfilled his Kingsguard vows out of duty.  A great fighter.

2. Ser Arthur Dayne- Honorable, intelligent, best fighter with the best sword.  Able to work with the smallfolk to get things done.

3. Ser Barristan "the Bold" Selmy- Brave, excellent fighter, loyal, honorable.

4. Stannis Baratheon- Brilliant military commander.  Second son. Once swore in, his sense of duty would ensure his loyalty.  Vow of chastity would not be difficult for him.

5.  Brienne of Tarth- Great fighter and loyal.  Epitome of honor.

6. Ser Duncan the Tall- Physically impressive. May have died saving lives of the royal family at Summerhall.  Decent guy.

7.  Brynden Tully- Good fighter and military leader, second son.

10 minutes ago, Yuzzybus said:

I would never have the kingslayer on my Queensguard even if he is eye-candy.  The kingmaker Criston Cole is also far too dangerous.  Daemon Blackfyre would be nice if he would be content in that position.

Well if I'm not related to him, he doesn't really have a claim. Jaime would be fine as long as Cersei isn't around (and I wasn't the one who got rid of her). He's a damn good fighter, honourable in his own way and willing to keep his vows but not go so far as to sacrifice innocent's to do so, like many others would have done. Cole was one I had reservations about and thought about swapping him out for Gwayne Corbray or Garlan Tyrell or maybe Corlys Velaryon but ultimately I figured one risk among six safe and talented men is acceptable.

24 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

I figured one risk among six safe and talented men is acceptable.

... so did Aerys ;)

Not sure I can find all seven, but here's my off-the-top-of-my-head pick:

1) LC: Olenna Tyrell

2) Lyanna Stark

3) Arya Stark

4) Brienne the Beauty

5) Princess Nymeria of the Rhoyne

6) Visenya Targaryan (with Vhagar)

7) Ellaria Sand

Maybe not all great warriors, but who in the Seven Kingdoms is going to outwit them?

I haven't read TWOIAF or the Dunk & Egg stories so I'm not as clued in to the great knights of different generations, but Jaime Lannister is my LC, with Barristan Selmy and Garlan Tyrell also serving.  Maybe the Hound too because I'd enjoy having him around.  book-Brienne doesn't have enough experience killing.  An important change that I would make is letting the Kingsguard get married and have lives.  If that meant elevating more knights to the Kingsguard so they can get more time off each, so be it.  I wouldn't be worried about their distractions or commitments elsewhere.  Those things will exist regardless.

1 hour ago, Adam Yozza said:

Jaime would be fine as long as Cersei isn't around (and I wasn't the one who got rid of her). He's a damn good fighter, honourable in his own way and willing to keep his vows but not go so far as to sacrifice innocent's to do so, like many others would have done. 

Fair enough.  Under the right influences Jaime makes a fine member of the Kingsguard.  His motives for regicide are noble.  My main concern is that depriving Tywin of his heir makes a dangerous enemy.  Here is a question.  Do you think Jaime is a better member of the Kingsguard before or after he lost his right hand?  

A Kingsguard can be too loyal if they fail to protect a king from his own madness or stupidity.  Meryn Trant beating Sansa on Joffrey's orders and Ser Gerald Hightower failing to protect the queen from Aerys come to mind.  It would be a difficult if not impossible balancing act.

3 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

Well if I'm not related to him, he doesn't really have a claim. Jaime would be fine as long as Cersei isn't around (and I wasn't the one who got rid of her). He's a damn good fighter, honourable in his own way and willing to keep his vows but not go so far as to sacrifice innocent's to do so, like many others would have done.

Jaime is someone who does not prioritize Kingsguard vows over others, is only loyal to those who deserve it and he does not consider a ruling family as someone special. You really don't want someone like that as your Kingsguard.

27 minutes ago, Dofs said:

Jaime is someone who does not prioritize Kingsguard vows over others, is only loyal to those who deserve it and he does not consider a ruling family as someone special. You really don't want someone like that as your Kingsguard.

On the contrary, that's exactly the sort of person I would like on my Kingsguard. If holding to the KG vows means ignoring the other knightly vows, like defend the innocent, then you shouldn't hold to them. Jaime can be considered sort of an insurance policy to ensure I never go Aerys level of mad.

But beyond that I think you're exaggerating his personality traits greatly.

1 hour ago, Adam Yozza said:

On the contrary, that's exactly the sort of person I would like on my Kingsguard. If holding to the KG vows means ignoring the other knightly vows, like defend the innocent, then you shouldn't hold to them. Jaime can be considered sort of an insurance policy to ensure I never go Aerys level of mad.

But beyond that I think you're exaggerating his personality traits greatly.

Going Aerys level is taking it to extreme. Jaime would disobey in less extreme situations if he believes he would be on the right side. He is someone who genuinely didn't understand why everyone reviled him for killing Aerys while Robert was hailed as a hero after going to war against him and why they are different situations. He is someone who, as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, set free a convicted killer of his king. He is someone who told his Kingsguard members to disobey his Queen's orders, and that's before he broke up with her. Jaime is not fit to be a Kingsguard at all. He was not raised to serve and it shows.

And I don't see how I exaggerate anything. Jaime has shown to be very loyal only to those he loves and/or respects and he has shown a complete indifference to what family holds the Iron Throne. Neither Targaryens were any special in his eyes, not Baratheons. Jaime even failed to see the importance of the Iron Throne and sat on it like on a simple chair without second thoughts after he killed Aerys.

12 hours ago, TommenIII said:

New around here, so forgive me if this question has already been discussed at length...

You have just ascended the Iron Throne, but unlike Kings/Queens of the past you have been granted the power to pick a Kings/Queensguard consisting of any warriors throughout history. Who do you pick and why?

This should be in forum games 

15 hours ago, Dofs said:

[Jaime] is someone who told his Kingsguard members to disobey his Queen's orders, and that's before he broke up with her.

You're referring to Cersei, right? Cersei was not the queen. Margaery Tyrell "Baratheon" was. Nobody had any "duty" to obey Cersei; at best, she was the "queen mother." To be respected, but with no formal political power. Remember, Kevan relegated her to the back benches?

Really, up until he lost his sword hand, Jaime's most honorable deed seems to have been killing King Aerys II.

3 hours ago, zandru said:

You're referring to Cersei, right? Cersei was not the queen. Margaery Tyrell "Baratheon" was. Nobody had any "duty" to obey Cersei; at best, she was the "queen mother." To be respected, but with no formal political power. Remember, Kevan relegated her to the back benches?

You are confusing the books with the show. It is in the show where she had no formal power. In the books Cersei was the Queen Regent, the most powerful person in the 7 Kingdoms.

2 hours ago, Dofs said:

In the books Cersei was the Queen Regent, the most powerful person in the 7 Kingdoms.

Hmmm. I had thought that, once Tommen had married Margaery, Margaery was the actual Queen. But I forgot that King Tommen might have a regent. I guess Cersei learned a little something, at least, from letting Joffrey the Mad sit the throne and rule as a 12-yo. And Tommen was 9 or 10, I think; even worse! After Tywin's death, Cersei would certainly have put herself into his place. Thanks for the reminder!

11 minutes ago, zandru said:

I guess Cersei learned a little something, at least, from letting Joffrey the Mad sit the throne and rule as a 12-yo. And Tommen was 9 or 10, I think; even worse! After Tywin's death, Cersei would certainly have put herself into his place. Thanks for the reminder!

Cersei was actually a Queen Regent during Joffrey's rule as well, Joffrey wasn't ruling either. She was just overshadowed by her father even though technically she was above him.

And Cersei didn't think that Joffrey was mad or anything. In fact, she was extremely happy with his behaviour. If you remember that she wasn't, than you are again confusing the books with the show.

Archived