U.S. Politics: Alabama Jones and the Template of Doom

drawkcabi

23 hours ago, Altherion said:

I wonder how long we have to wait for them to also propose a solution...

Well, I don’t know why you need to wait for the New York times to propose a solution.

But, probably a good start would be to take Republicans, the Republican Party, Grover Norquist and Mr. Wannabe Libertarian Hipster Man Dressed In Black, Nick Gillespie to the wood shed.

39 minutes ago, Mexal said:

He's not needed with Corker getting his kickback.

He's not needed, but the fact that he was in DC already until today means there's a strong chance that his cancer is progressing very quickly. There's a huge difference between not coming to DC for a big vote, and leaving DC before a big vote. I feel sorry for his family.

Still no word on Cochran. But there's no need for him to vote either unless there are two GOP defections and it doesn't look like there will be any with Corker apparently getting bought off (although maybe Collins changes her mind, but that'd still only be a 49-49 tie for Pence to break).

43 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Well, I don’t know why you need to wait for the New York times to propose a solution.

But, probably a good start would be to take Republicans, the Republican Party, Grover Norquist and Mr. Wannabe Libertarian Hipster Man Dressed In Black, Nick Gillespie to the wood shed.

We already tried this in 2008. Unfortunately, as the article says:

Of course, the growing importance of wealthy donors is not exclusively a Republican phenomenon. Democratic candidates have also benefited from the largess of wealthy donors like George Soros, Tom Steyer and James Simons. But on economic and tax issues, big-money liberal donors have not really shoved their party to the far left. Donations from Wall Street and corporate America have, in fact, pushed many Democrats to the center or even to the right on issues like financial regulation, international trade, antitrust policy and welfare reform.

In fact, after the Democrats obtained a far more robust majority than the Republicans have held in decades, it took only 2 years until they lost the House because it was completely obvious that they had no interest in reform that would redistribute wealth away from the 0.1%.

23 hours ago, Altherion said:

We already tried this in 2008. Unfortunately, as the article says:

In fact, after the Democrats obtained a far more robust majority than the Republicans have held in decades, it took only 2 years until they lost the House because it was completely obvious that they had no interest in reform that would redistribute wealth away from the 0.1%.

I understand you're really invested in pushing the "both sides" narrative. But the Dems did pass the ACA and got Dodd-Frank done. And they aren't talking about cutting taxes for the rich all the time.

Look, I can's stand Jaime Dimon Democrats. And there is a grain of truth of what you are saying. But, when do this both sides thing, you go off the rails. 

Nowhere in the Republican Party is anyone really taking any of these issues seriously.

Keep on doing both sides.

If took on second to stop doing "both sides" you'd note their are plenty of people on the center left that are trying to address these issues. And have come up with various policy proposals to combat this stuff, like better minimum wage laws and so forth.

The Democrats maybe not be perfect, but the Republican Party combines alt right nonsense with blatant plutocratic preferences. There is simply no reason for you to continue to play this game you want to play.

The Republican Party, at this time, is a horrible party (on everything. Not just economic matters). And it needs to be ground into dust.

DI Politics Chat: Is Trump the Worst President of All Time?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/di-politics-chat-is-trump-the-worst-president-of-all-time.html

Eric: I think it remains possible that Trump’s long-term effects will be a net positive. If Clinton won last November, the Republican Party would very likely have amassed huge congressional margins in the 2018 midterms, and then ousted her in 2020 (by Election Day her disapproval rating was in the high 50s, I believe, and four years of divided government–fueled inefficacy probably wouldn’t have changed that).

With or without Trump, the GOP’s donor-driven commitment to a fringe economic orthodoxy with no popular support — and no compelling answers to the problems of the 21st century — was already making them more reliant on demagogic racial appeals, and quasi-authoritarian attempts to restrict popular sovereignty.

A more talented and broadly appealing GOP president might have been able to do more damage, for a longer period of time, on behalf of that coalition. Trump, by putting the ugliest possible face on American conservatism, may well hasten the party’s collapse before it can do much beyond pass a temporary tax cut.

Or, ya know, he could get us all killed …

School counselor unsure of how to deal with far right bigoted students.

This is a problem. The up and coming generations will without a doubt be fascist little shits. 

And Universities allowing scum like Richard Spencer to speak on their grounds is only going to reinforce that they are right and empower them to stick with it. 

9 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

"He was elected with those issues front and center..."

HE LOST THE POPULAR VOTE!! Most voters told him to fuck off, popular opinion was never in his favor and I would guess most people believe he is the sexual predator he admitted to being on tape.

In other news, Bob Corker didn't change his vote because the bill will benefit him. How could he have done that when he hasn't  even read the darn thing? 

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/senator-bob-corker-said-he-hasnt-read-tax-bill-denies-changing-his-vote-exchange?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

15 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

I want Trump to resign as much as anybody but Jones is a Democratic Senator in Alabama.  He’s playing realpolitik and trying to keep his seat.  

This shouldn’t come as a surprise.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I want Trump to resign as much as anybody but Jones is a Democratic Senator in Alabama.  He’s playing realpolitik and trying to keep his seat.  

Yea, it’s not like it’s going to happen anyway.  If Trump ever resigns that will not be why.

7 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

In other news, Bob Corker didn't change his vote because the bill will benefit him. How could he have done that when he hasn't  even read the darn thing? 

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/senator-bob-corker-said-he-hasnt-read-tax-bill-denies-changing-his-vote-exchange?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Reporter:  Senator, does that mean your vote is ignorant, or apathetic?

Corker:  I don't know, and I don't care.

31 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

Asshole.  Who elected you?  You say that it's time for the nation to move on and confront the problems confronting us as a nation, and sexual harassment and abuse is one of the really big issues facing the nation.  

He can get unelected really quick.  He's making the same great big error that Obama made right at the beginning -- thinking there can be reconciliation. There ain't any.  Not now, not anymore.

47 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Except he's doing it at the expense of women.  Democrats have this nasty habit of throwing women under the bus.  As though sexual assault and harassment aren't real issues.  Fuck him.  

1 hour ago, Sword of Doom said:

Doug Jones made a perfectly prudent political move.  The first Democrat from Alabama in 25 years can't do something this knee jerk liberal (which Jones isn't anyway) in the first week.  Get Roy Moore to admit he lost first.  Fantastic illustration of internet culture hero on Wednesday and worse then Hitler on Sunday.  

Archived