Best theory you've ever heard

Any original theory that is posted on this forum, and has been scrutinized for years, that becomes generally accepted as true, has undergone a process very similar to the building of scientific consensus, and is truly a great theory that the poster should feel proud of.

Alternatively, the worst theories are the ones that have been proven false, yet whose authors refuse to accept that reality.  We all have ideas, sometimes people spend a lot of time forming those ideas into theories, and then sometimes people post them.  That takes a certain level of courage, no one likes to be wrong.  But the thing I dislike most about this forum, is how many people cling to ideas that are demonstrably wrong, so I also would like to state that any theory that was posted, examined, disproven, and then discarded by its creator, was also a great theory that has helped establish all of the actually true/likely theories we can feel confident in.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by best. If best = most likely true I guess I would have to go with R+L=J. If best is favorite I read a very good theory years ago that Mance=Rhaegar I wish I had a link because as tin-foily as it sounds it didn't read that way. Even some theories that have been debunked are good theories IMO. I've always enjoyed the corn code even though I know it isn't true. 

Best "Serious" answerR+L=J. After years-upon-years of discussion, it is one of the most widely accepted theories and answer to the longest running mystery in the series: Who was Jon Snow's mother? It has been "peer reviewed" over and over by fans with no other explanation coming close to being quite as satisfying for Ned or Jon's arcs as well as a relatively simple explanation to the question at hand. I came to the conclusion myself after reading AGoT but it amazes me even today how many little bits and bobs are scattered around the books that could allude to this theory. It is so well-thought of and widely accepted now that some fans who wish to debunk it (poorly) try to argue it is obvious.

Of course, everything is obvious with the benefit of 20+ years of fans gathering together to share ideas and debunk them.

Best "Theory I personally like" answer: Littlefinger has made at least two attempts to kill Tyrion (with a rate of success akin to"Stop the Pigeon "). He seems a likely candidate to have ordered Ser Mandon Moore try and kill Tyrion at Blackwater in ACoK and, yes, I still think the poison was in the pie and Tyrion was the target. Plus, as a bonus, he tried to convince the Starks it was Tyrion who tried to murder Bran in AGoT. I weirdly like this theory as it seems fitting that Tyrion might be one of the few characters to really, really rustle LF's feathers.

I also like the theories like Euron is the Anti-Bran, the Hound is the Gravedigger, and Sam Has the Horn of Winter.

4 minutes ago, Faera said:

Best "Theory I personally like" answer: Littlefinger has made at least two attempts to kill Tyrion (with a rate of success akin to"Stop the Pigeon "). He seems a likely candidate to have ordered Ser Mandon Moore try and kill Tyrion at Blackwater in ACoK and, yes, I still think the poison was in the pie and Tyrion was the target. Plus, as a bonus, he tried to convince the Starks it was Tyrion who tried to murder Bran in AGoT. I weirdly like this theory as it seems fitting that Tyrion might be one of the few characters to really, really rustle LF's feathers.

I agree with Ser Mandon Moore, he was installed by Robert on request of Jon Arryn as Kingsguard yet it is said Jon didn't really like him, which means Lysa asked for it which means LF asked her to do it.

Pie I wish it were true and it would make for much better story, but I think it was confirmed wine killed Joffrey (it is always described as red but then suddenly it is purple (strangler is purple crystal)). On the other hand LF-Ollena alliance makes zero sense and LF actually had motive to kill Tyrion and I don't LF is the kind of guy that just does random stuff "to confuse his opponents". Also whole transport of poison from LF to drunkard Dontos to a child that lost her father (Sansa) to Ollena to possibly also Garlan Tyrell seems risky and unnecessary while a servant putting strangler on pie and lemon cream over makes much more sense.  So kind of a flaw in the story I would say.

2 hours ago, Faera said:

and, yes, I still think the poison was in the pie and Tyrion was the target.

Hmm, I'm a little confused as to your stance on this. Just a couple of days ago you stated in regards to this hypothesis that:

"To be fair, I genuinely believed this one for a time"

So, have you just recently changed your mind again? And if so, what was it that convinced you to do so?

Just curious.

12 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

Hmm, I'm a little confused as to your stance on this. Just a couple of days ago you stated in regards to this hypothesis that:

So, have you just recently changed your mind again? And if so, what was it that convinced you to do so?

Just curious.

Aha, I tend to change my mind a lot when it comes to things like that.

I was re-reading the Purple Wedding and Cressen's death the other day, which was actually sparked by that post on the "Worst theories" thread, and decided, "huh, maybe it was the pie." I think the thing that really made me think about it again was down delayed Joffrey's reaction to the poison (if it was the wine) was compared to Cressen's. @Tygett Lannister has made some good points about the wine being purple (which might indicate the poison diluted into it) but I'm also still befuddled as to why Olenna Tyrell would risk poisoning the cup herself when she could have got an agent of hers disguised as a servant to do it for her.

Either way, I'm sure my mind will change many, many more times.

9 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Jon is Lightbringer, because I totally see it and I think there are some good hints to it. And I also hate every speculation that says that a woman will have to be stabbed through the heart to make Lightbringer. So much no to that!

Agreed. The legend of Lightbringer seems metaphorical anyway and, frankly, I'm dubious about taking anything that comes out of the religion of R'hllor literally.

11 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Ser Pounce is Azor Ahai.

It is known. ^_^

Archived