How would you feel if..

Crona

12 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

If this was the case he'd just put out some half-baked version of Winds of Winter that everyone is waiting to buy. Then do the same with the last book that most people would still buy because they are already so invested in the story. He'd make a lot of money on those two books either way. If he was really just in it for the money he probably would have already done this before the show came out with it's last few seasons.

I think if anything he's a perfectionist who wants to finish the story as strong as he started it. 

Do you really think so? If so, then he'd do well reading the wise words of Big Bucket Wull:

I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What men want does not matter.

He should be familiar with the quote, he's written it himself.

When - if - the books six and seven are released, they'll be, spoiler alert, imperfect. There is no way around it. I honestly hope that one day GRRM decides that published imperfect books still trump unpublished hopes for perfect books.

18 hours ago, Crona said:

How would you feel if it turns out that Jon is just dead and Dany just stays in Essos and never comes to Westeros? 

Would this be a twist that you would never expect?

I would love this.  Jon staying dead would be great - valar morghulis, even those who have the traits and circumstances to be heroes.  As for Danerys, I think it would be appropriate if she finally showed up to Westeros late to the party - after Aegon vs. Lannisters vs. Euron has concluded in the south and Stannis/Starks vs. The Others has concluded in the north, and she finds herself queen of the ashes left to pick up a war ruined country.

38 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

she finds herself queen of the ashes left to pick up a war ruined country

Well, I have no doubt that Dany would just dig in and get to work! I really think she's someone who would rather build than destroy, would rather help than slaughter. That outcome could have a remarkable clarifying effect, and even form the basis for "A Hope of Spring."

49 minutes ago, zandru said:

Well, I have no doubt that Dany would just dig in and get to work! I really think she's someone who would rather build than destroy, would rather help than slaughter. That outcome could have a remarkable clarifying effect, and even form the basis for "A Hope of Spring."

Agreed, and it would show the best side of Danerys - the compassionate, just ruler - as opposed to the fierce, entitled conqueror.

If Jon stays dead, it renders the whole mystery of his parentage pointless.  And I'm not convinced that he is actually dead, as opposed to seriously injured.

As for Dany staying in Essos, that renders her story pointless in its entirety.  If she has no effect on events in Westeros, then why put her in at all?

Fortunately, I am convinced that neither of these events will happen (assuming we get subsequent books at all).

12 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

When - if - the books six and seven are released, they'll be, spoiler alert, imperfect. There is no way around it. I honestly hope that one day GRRM decides that published imperfect books still trump unpublished hopes for perfect books

I'd say there is a difference between releasing half-baked books and books that are imperfect. 

To your point, being a perfectionist can often work against an artist and they redo things that don't need it.  Though ultimately I feel he has the stories best interest at heart. Just my opinion though.

1. I would like it if Jon stayed dead.  It makes death more meaningful and it gets rid of a dull character who happens to have a lot of povs. 
  2. It would disappoint me if Dany were to choose to stay in the east.  I am looking forward to Dany ruling over Westeros and destroying the Lannisters, Starks, Tullys, and Baratheons for good.  On the other hand, I am fascinated by the cultures of the east.  So I would be fine with Dany never setting foot in Westeros if GRRM were to take her to Asshai. 

18 hours ago, Nevets said:

If Jon stays dead, it renders the whole mystery of his parentage pointless.

Not really. Knowing who he WAS, and the missed potential of his life ending too soon, and the very real possibility Jon was the legitimate heir  to the Iron Throne (over Dany and Young Griff) would be a real stab to the heart, even worse than the killing of his uncle, Lord Eddard. This would be drawn out throughout the remaining books as a continuing tragedy, never-ending regret. In other words, it would increase the literary value of the work.

18 hours ago, Nevets said:

As for Dany staying in Essos, that renders her story pointless in its entirety.  If she has no effect on events in Westeros, then why put her in at all?

Not necessarily. Consider if Westeros, without Jon's enlightened leadership and in the moronic grip of Queen Cersei and her syncophants, as further disrupted by Petyr Baelish, who just wants to screw things up and make the maximum number of folks suffer, suppose Westeros falls to the Others and is rendered basically uninhabitable to human life? Then you'd be glad there was someone in Essos ruling, who wasn't all about slavery, blood sports, and dogmeat at every meal. We could get a story of how an entire continent was abandoned, back to its original inhabitants. Hopefully, we'd learn more about them and their society, too. Maybe not what we all signed on for, but totally amazing.

On 2017-12-16 at 9:54 PM, Crona said:

How would you feel if it turns out that Jon is just dead and Dany just stays in Essos and never comes to Westeros? 

I would be delighted. Jon and Dany great characters, but they were made when aSoIaF books were planned as trilogy. After five books and six year of waiting for next book and GoT TV series Dany and Jon are a bit  expired. And Arya, Bran and Tyrion came close to this too.

I don't want them dissappear :rolleyes:. But maybe it i time to end them as POV characters, with their plotlines continued and witnessed by the eyes of other POV's. Or at least skip one book as POV characters.

Yes to both questions.  I don't think it will play out that way but I would be content if Jon stayed dead and Dany stayed in Essos.  Lots of work to do and plenty of adventures to be had in Essos.  I want to see the 5 forts and Stygai and Dany seems to be the only one who can take us there.

Archived