Shows that said goodbye in 2017

Martini Sigil

It's almost 2018... and while there will be several new shows starting ....heading into the new year, there are several shows that finished their runs in 2017 .... in no particular order...

... Black Sails - ended on its own terms after 4 great seasons... one of my favorite shows ever... 

... Halt and Catch Fire - great character-driven show that finished after 4 seasons... I'll miss this one

.... Outsiders- Cancelled after 2 seasons by WGN.... this was a pretty good show... its a shanda no one picked it up

... Bloodline- ended after 3 seasons, and it was time.... good show, but a 4th season would have been too much

... Marco Polo - victim of its own budget...cancelled after 2 seasons... it could have been, should have been great.... it wasn't.

... The Leftovers - Died a natural death after 3 seasons... I was luke-warm to this show, but it was in my rotation...

... The Knick - Cancelled after 2 great seasons... should have come back and wrapped everything up, but it was good while it lasted.

... Orphan Black- 5 seasons of Tatiana Maslany riffing... fun as hell... and it'll be interesting to see where she winds up next

... Quarry - I loved this show, I can't believe they shit-canned it after 1 season

... The Strain - I hate-watched this show because it was so poorly done, and I am an asshole... I can't believe that it lasted 4 seasons, and finished its arc.

... Longmire - 7 seasons of a modern day cowboy who wouldn't get a cell phone. Died of old age, but Katie Sakhoff is great.

... Underground - another WGN show that fell victim to the network's re-structuring

... Turn - This show kicked ass... they wrapped it up a little too quickly, but they told a great story over 4 seasons

I can only hope some of the new shows coming out can fill the void of some of my favorites that ended their runs in 2017. I only picked up Turn during it's final season after not continuing with the first season originally. So happy I gave it another chance. The Leftovers, Black Sails and Longmire were three of my favorites. I was a bit disappointed in Longmire's final season, but The Leftovers and Black Sails were fantastic. I've been tempted to start Orphan Black.

Hoping American Gods doesn’t die off after just one season. I know it was renewed but then there were the issues with Fuller and Green leaving...

Orphan Black will be my biggest miss, and like you I will be very interested to see what Tatiana Maslany does next. I know she has been in a few films but she really deserves to be a big name.

Sense8 should probably count as saying goodbye this year. Yeah we get a special episode next year to round off but that wasn’t originally going to happen. Yay to the fandom, fuck you to Netflix.

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

... Quarry - I loved this show, I can't believe they shit-canned it after 1 season

Still pissed this wasn't picked up, such a good first season. My buddy said he saw an interview with the creators, who were obviously devastated, and I guess Cinemax just wanted to put their money into more action-type shows. (It also ended in 2016. I'm assuming you put it in because the decision was made this year?)

Vice Principals ended their 2 season run on a high note. The last season was really good.

Grimm - ended after 6 seasons; final season was shortened; I'm sure the order came from the powers that be at NBC that this needed to end, but even so, they gave it a nice conclusion

Dark Matter - a weak, but often fun show on SyFy, which was airing conjointly with Killjoys; SyFy pulled the plug after 2 seasons, and of course, just when it was getting interesting

19 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

... The Knick - Cancelled after 2 great seasons... should have come back and wrapped everything up, but it was good while it lasted.

But even if they had come back they were going to have a decades long time jump, so Soderbergh obviously felt things were wrapped up to his satisfaction. 

15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Grimm - ended after 6 seasons; final season was shortened; I'm sure the order came from the powers that be at NBC that this needed to end, but even so, they gave it a nice conclusion

I think this is the one I'll miss the most.

The show I'll miss the most is Black Sails... although I don't think another season would have made it better... some shows go too lang... others die prematurely... but very few get to end while they're at their peak

The thing is, I just hope that some of the new shows can fill their shoes... Counterpart looks promising as a Starz replacement... and hopefully the Terror can pick-up the slack on AMC .. time will tell

Still mad about Quarry (so much potential and setup for later seasons, it was really just an introduction, the guy doesn't even know that he has a revenge plot coming and against who, even though the viewer knows) and Dark Matter (the next two seasons would have been amazing).

You can add Sense8 to the list I guess, even though we got a special finale coming in 2018.

On 18/12/2017 at 0:00 AM, Martini Sigil said:

What do you mean wrap things up? If there was a season 3/4, it would have been a different era and characters. The Thackery arc was over.

... Black Sails - ended on its own terms after 4 great seasons... one of my favorite shows ever... 

... The Leftovers - Died a natural death after 3 seasons... I was luke-warm to this show, but it was in my rotation...

Two of the greatest shows ever made.

... Turn - This show kicked ass... they wrapped it up a little too quickly, but they told a great story over 4 seasons

Despite all my efforts, I couldn't get into this show. I watched the first few episodes of season 1 and... it was just boringly uninteresting with either bland or caricatural characters. But maybe I'm just biased with the setting that I consider the least interesting in History.

On 18-12-2017 at 3:46 AM, Corvinus said:

Dark Matter - a weak, but often fun show on SyFy, which was airing conjointly with Killjoys; SyFy pulled the plug after 2 seasons, and of course, just when it was getting interesting

Dark Matter had 3 seasons made (out of 5 planned for). It got similar ratings to Killjoys, but due to not being fully owned by SyFy, Killjoys was renewed and Dark Matter wasn't.

It was a show with interesting characters and it was preplanned to some extent (plans did get changed along the way), certainly worth a watch. I personally liked the first season (when the characters and setting were fresh and mysterious) the best.

I only discovered The Leftovers and Black Sails in 2017 and saw them in their entirety. In fact, I finished The Leftovers a little over two days ago. Both were brilliant and top my list of best shows in 2017 (other than BoJack Horseman, another great show I discovered in 2017) and The Leftovers would land somewhere on my list of favourite shows of all time.

The Strain was terrible. I never even bothered to continue watching after season 2. I think I only lasted as long because I liked some of the characters  (David Bradley's, Kevin Durand's and the blonde hacker), but the crap the show pulled in season 2 was too much.

I've never seen the other shows mentioned here, but Orphan Black had been on my watch list for a while and I'm probably gonna watch it this year. Ditto Sense 8, and I think I'll try The Knick, too.

On 18-12-2017 at 0:00 AM, Martini Sigil said:

It's almost 2018... and while there will be several new shows starting ....heading into the new year, there are several shows that finished their runs in 2017 .... in no particular order...

... Halt and Catch Fire - great character-driven show that finished after 4 seasons... I'll miss this one

.... Outsiders- Cancelled after 2 seasons by WGN.... this was a pretty good show... its a shanda no one picked it up

... Bloodline- ended after 3 seasons, and it was time.... good show, but a 4th season would have been too much

... Marco Polo - victim of its own budget...cancelled after 2 seasons... it could have been, should have been great.... it wasn't.

... Orphan Black- 5 seasons of Tatiana Maslany riffing... fun as hell... and it'll be interesting to see where she winds up next

... The Strain - I hate-watched this show because it was so poorly done, and I am an asshole... I can't believe that it lasted 4 seasons, and finished its arc.

... Longmire - 7 seasons of a modern day cowboy who wouldn't get a cell phone. Died of old age, but Katie Sakhoff is great.

... Underground - another WGN show that fell victim to the network's re-structuring

Not a great deal here that I will regret not seeing again but also a good deal here that I haven't tried so...

Black Sails is a show I should give a second chance for all the praise it gets here from so many different folks. I just don't care about pirates, not one little bit.

Halt and Catch is on my to-see list, as is Leftovers.

Turn is probably a show that deserves a more throrough look.

I thought Quarry was intriguing but very slow, I am surprised by the responses here as it seems like a show no one watched at the time.

Bloodline intrigued me but I didn't really like what I saw. Longmire deserves a shot, again, looks great but in practive it feels really quite slow and I like overarching storylines, not sure this has that or is more episode of the week.

Didn't care for The Knick, or The Strain.

Marco Polo is the one I have seen where I would have liked a 3rd season, but it's ok.

Archived