The Last Jedi, not the last spoiler thread

mormont

24 minutes ago, felice said:

The Falcon (and Slave 1) are travelling at sublight between solar systems, and it seems likely that Bespin is lightmonths from Hoth. The crew of the Falcon only experience days, though, because of time dliation when accelerating to near lightspeed in normal space. Fett calls in Vader when they're decelerating towards Bespin and their destination is clear. Purely my headcanon, but I don't think it's contradicted by anything in the movies.

That's a very interesting idea. But it probably is contradicted at some point right? There's probably at least one instance in one of the movies where one character travels a huge distance through hyperspace meanwhile we know only a few days have gone by in another plot thread. 

The Falcon (and Slave 1) are travelling at sublight between solar systems, and it seems likely that Bespin is lightmonths from Hoth. The crew of the Falcon only experience days, though, because of time dliation when accelerating to near lightspeed in normal space. Fett calls in Vader when they're decelerating towards Bespin and their destination is clear. Purely my headcanon, but I don't think it's contradicted by anything in the movies.

As mentioned previously, the Falcon (and most ships in the setting, at least things bigger than a fighter) has an emergency backup hyperdrive which is about 10 times slower than the standard drive. It's to stop people dying because they have a single point of failure (which is bad design) and that ends up with them stuck in the middle of nowhere. That's how they got from Hoth to Bespin, and why they had to find a system nearby.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Using TK casually is apparently not that weird; again, Ezra does it in Rebels too. It's what Rey associates most with the force (moving rocks). It's also the most instinctive one; it requires no manipulation of mind powers or subtle things or sped up powers, it's brute force...uh...force.

This is one of the things I hate about them getting rid of the EU cannon.  There they had a wide range of Jedi with specialized abilities.  Instinctive abilities were tailored to the user.  One's instinctive ability to one might be another's impossible feat.  That nuance was much better than what we got in return, which seems to be more in line with someone playing a Star Wars D&D game.

"Yes, level 7 jedi, now I can finally force fly!"

12 minutes ago, aceluby said:

This is one of the things I hate about them getting rid of the EU cannon.  There they had a wide range of Jedi with specialized abilities.  Instinctive abilities were tailored to the user.  One's instinctive ability to one might be another's impossible feat.  That nuance was much better than what we got in return, which seems to be more in line with someone playing a Star Wars D&D game.

"Yes, level 7 jedi, now I can finally force fly!"

I agree.  I think it was Coran Horn who couldn't levitate things for shit.  Even small rocks were almost impossible for him.

45 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I have no clue what line you are referring to at the end of Empire.

I think my memory blended the prosthetic scene at the end of ESB with the Luke-Leia post-rescue scene in RotJ when he tells her he has to go off by himself (to Dagobah, where he sees Yoda die)

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

As mentioned previously, the Falcon (and most ships in the setting, at least things bigger than a fighter) has an emergency backup hyperdrive

There's no hint of that in the movies. From what I can find on Wookiepedia, backup hyperdrives are only mentioned in RPG sourcebooks and "Complete Cross-Sections". I prefer my theory :D

35 minutes ago, felice said:

There's no hint of that in the movies. From what I can find on Wookiepedia, backup hyperdrives are only mentioned in RPG sourcebooks and "Complete Cross-Sections". I prefer my theory :D

Its considered one of the biggest plot holes on the OT. There's lots of debate about it.

And i will NEVER get sick of this, so here's something to lighten the mood:

So, I missed all the discussion about the gravity dropping bombers. Apologies for resurrecting it now, but...

Why would there be an issue with the bombers having gravity? You know what else has gravity? The Millennium Falcon. And all the resistance cruisers and Star Destroyers and basically every other ship in the galaxy.

So if the bombers release their bombs, they absolutely will fall down the rather significant length of the ship, given their shape. When they pass out of the ship and leave it's gravity field, they should continue on in a straight line (without picking up speed) - at least until the enter the gravity field of the target, however far that may extend.

It's definitely very silly. But that's an argument for 40 years ago when Lucas first introduced it in Star Wars (later to be renamed "A New Hope"). Or hell... take it up with Rodenberry or the creators of just about any older vintage sci fi ever.

8 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

So, I missed all the discussion about the gravity dropping bombers. Apologies for resurrecting it now, but...

Why would there be an issue with the bombers having gravity? You know what else has gravity? The Millennium Falcon. And all the resistance cruisers and Star Destroyers and basically every other ship in the galaxy.

So if the bombers release their bombs, they absolutely will fall down the rather significant length of the ship, given their shape. When they pass out of the ship and leave it's gravity field, they should continue on in a straight line (without picking up speed) - at least until the enter the gravity field of the target, however far that may extend.

It's definitely very silly. But that's an argument for 40 years ago when Lucas first introduced it in Star Wars (later to be renamed "A New Hope"). Or hell... take it up with Rodenberry or the creators of just about any older vintage sci fi ever.

It would mean the bombs at the bottom wouldn’t be dropping very fast and would be caught up by the ones at the top, but yeah this is what I thought.

Someone earlier in this thread was talking about how to involve Anakin as a Force Ghost in the current crop of movies, but everyone had moved on to discussion of Jedi training, Yoda's wrongness and lightsabers before I could reply...however, it's been nagging at me...

They said that the options were:

1) Cast Sebastian Shaw (he's been dead since 1994, but then so has Peter Cushing...)

2) Cast Hayden Christensen 

In fact there is a third option, which is simply to recast the role. Get the right actor and the right script, and I doubt even the most conservative fans would whinge much. It has the advantages of not being deeply disturbing, which (1) would be, and could also mean having someone with more than two expressions. And, you know, fluidity, naturalness, charisma. That stuff. Plus, Anakin is in his mid-forties when he dies. They could cast someone the right age. Rory Kinnear? 

There are good story reasons for not giving Anakin any sort of cameo though. The theme of TLJ was "let the past die", and that may or may not be right as a philosophical idea, but it does have quite a bit going for it in creative terms - keeping Anakin out of it gives more space for the new characters, space for new stories to develop. He's already had so much written about him, some good (bits of Clone Wars), some awful (the Prequels); he doesn't need to be in more. Especially after his dreadful scenes in Rogue One. (Even if I want to see him a little in Episode IX, anyway...on the off chance they hit just the right note with him.) 

21 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Its considered one of the biggest plot holes on the OT. There's lots of debate about it.

And i will NEVER get sick of this, so here's something to lighten the mood:

That was....indescribable. 

And also a bit amazing, after having seen TLJ, to be reminded just how young Mark Hamill looked back then. And what a good job the plastic surgeon and make up department did after his car accident!

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

You thought his scenes in R1 were dreadful? o.O

Yep, really embarrassing, badly-written fan service of the worst kind. 

On a totally different note, I keep wondering what was up with the New Republic during TLJ. Okay, it was badly hit in FA, but you'd think it would still be strong enough to do something. Unless everyone in the New Republic was still basically in Battlestar Galactica episode 1 mode - ("What's happened? Did something happen? What're we gonna do? Who's in charge? Are you in charge? Am I in charge? I think that astromech might be next in the line of command...") - while the Resistance and First Order have put the plot on fast forward. 

19 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh, maybe. I kind of wanted the Gungans to show up to help, just to see the look on peoples faces.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror..." ;)

I assume the remnants of the New Republic are who Leia considers her allies in the outer rim that she sends messages to at the end

Doesn't sound as if the New Republic was up to much, if it was wiped out so thoroughly. I assume the same as you, plus whatever odd contacts Leia's made over the course of busy life. 

Additional point - anyone else thought that Daisy Ridley's accent changed a bit between TFA and TLJ? It dropped by about 0.56433 points on the British class system. In TFA she spoke surprisingly prim RP. In TLJ she sounded a bit Essex in places. Not complaining - a bit more of a regional vibe suits the character. 

59 minutes ago, dog-days said:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror..." ;)

Doesn't sound as if the New Republic was up to much, if it was wiped out so thoroughly. I assume the same as you, plus whatever odd contacts Leia's made over the course of busy life. 

Additional point - anyone else thought that Daisy Ridley's accent changed a bit between TFA and TLJ? It dropped by about 0.56433 points on the British class system. In TFA she spoke surprisingly prim RP. In TLJ she sounded a bit Essex in places. Not complaining - a bit more of a regional vibe suits the character. 

She’s probably just more comfortable in front of the camera now and feels more able to loosen up. I liked her in TFA but her acting has improved greatly since then. Her and Driver were the standouts of this film actingwise, at least for me

Archived