The Last Jedi, not the last spoiler thread

mormont

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

AKA, if the ships all jumped to different locations, the First Order could only have followed one of them?

I wish they had come up with a better idea behind this aspect of the story.

Yeah, and a lot of other things could have been better thought out as well.

Apparently, this was the ship which Rey saw flying away in The Force Awakens (I don't know the source; it's labelled "family ship", implying it was owned by her family, or at least supposed to be when this sketch was made): http://i.imgur.com/JP75vLr.jpg

Does not really match those junkies who died in a desert, and since they went to the trouble of designing the thing I guess there was originally more significance to it.

Allthough I don't object to Rey's parents not being famous, I think Disney is treating this the wrong way. Almost everybody's parents are "nobodies", by their definition. None of us is heartbroken that we aren't sons/daughters of presidents or rock stars, I'm fairly sure. The point is that they abandoned her, apparently because they didn't care about her. That's the implication that should hurt Rey, not how famous or unfamous her parents were. Besides, in "The Force Awakens" she was only concerned with her family's return, and she initially ran away from "destiny" in the form of the force visions.

Also, Rey may not be born of famous parents, but that doesn't mean everbody can do what she did or become what she is becoming. She has a very rare ability that she was born with, so it's still her birth that privileges her. This was true for Luke Skywalker as well, even at the time he wasn't yet supposed to be Vader's son. When she says at the beginning of the movie "it's a force that Jedi have (and others, by implication, don't have)" she is far closer to the truth then Luke cares to admit. The Force may be everywhere, but only a very small percentage of Force users can tap into it.

I’m not even going to go into how bad Snoke was as a villain.

One thing I noticed, Kylo had constructed a proper lightsaber which he used to defend himself against Luke in the vision, so clearly he’s familiar with the process, so I wonder why he chose to construct that unstable, ridiculous looking one that he uses now.

A movie that has a dip of 79% between the first and second weeks, at present has generated less 30% than the previous movie in the same period, has 54% or something on rotten tomattos and corrently has 7.6 and falling on imdb isn t a flop? Why are all news so positive for this movie when compared with justice league for exemple?

Well, Justice League is going to cost the studio money, TLJ isn't, plus TLJ is still No at the box office, only dropped 68 percent(I don't know where the heck you got 79 from), which is slightly more than expected but now any reason to panic. Not to mention TFA was the first Star Wars in a decade and a cultural event, and also the middle parts of trilogies also make the least money, and I could go on.

Also, Rotten Tomatoes score is highly suspect at this point.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/23/box-office-star-wars-the-last-jedi-plunges-77-still-tops-300m/#730aa9d03f0d

Metacritic user score is 4,7 , Imdb 7.6  but when looking at user ratings page  78 000 people rated it 9 or 10 while 17 000  with 1 or 2.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/ratings?ref_=tturv_ql_4

For me personally movie was truly bad , I disliked Tfa and these new main characters but this is just whole new level of ...

When games like Kotor or even some Swotor cinematics like "Sacrifice"  have more Star Wars spirit in them then I feel sorry for future of this movie series.

That Forbes article only accounts for friday and has already been debunked. I don't know about IMDB but meta is probably the easiest site of all to review bomb.

Here's a better article: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4355&p=.htm

Also, a 7.6 on IMDB is far from a flop. You can hate the movie all you want, but if you thin this movie bombed...well...

In Luke’s hero’s journey to the underworld/dark side pit, he sees Darth Vader. Rey, in a similar moment, sees herself, infinitely reflected. Kyle Ren says he has seen the moment where she turns. We still have the prophecy of the one who will bring balance. So maybe it’s just that Rey starts to reject the idea of light side and dark side. And just starts accepting that the force “is” and does use the dark side sometimes. 

Also, maybe she and Ren are connected simply because they are powerful light side and dark side Force users?  

Also Snoke did suck as a villain. 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, Justice League is going to cost the studio money, TLJ isn't, plus TLJ is still No at the box office, only dropped 68 percent(I don't know where the heck you got 79 from), which is slightly more than expected but now any reason to panic. Not to mention TFA was the first Star Wars in a decade and a cultural event, and also the middle parts of trilogies also make the least money, and I could go on.

Also, Rotten Tomatoes score is highly suspect at this point.

I meant to say 69%. And tfa opened with 247M while tlj with 220M. The difference we see now is only explained because people like this movie less. And you are forgetting that tlj had at least similar hype to tfa. I am not even sure if people weren t more excited about tlj than tfa because of all the hype tfa created. 

And I find the critics that don t talk about any of the problems of the movie in their reviews much more suspect than RT... 

1 hour ago, Eltharion21 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/23/box-office-star-wars-the-last-jedi-plunges-77-still-tops-300m/#730aa9d03f0d

Metacritic user score is 4,7 , Imdb 7.6  but when looking at user ratings page  78 000 people rated it 9 or 10 while 17 000  with 1 or 2.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/ratings?ref_=tturv_ql_4

If you saw the imdb rating it has been dropping with time. Somehow when the movie got out the scores were all 9 and 10 and since then people have been rating it much lower. I feel like a lot was spent to make mainstream that the movie was excelent and it influenced people in the beguining and as time goes on it becomes accepted that the movie has several uos and downs and depending on the person these downs make the film awful or simply bad.

If you don't understand how TFA was a way bigger deal then TLJ I don't think there's any point in having this conversation.

And if you find the actual critic reviews suspect, well, I have a bridge to sell you.

Nothing happening now is not predicted or unexpected. I don;t know how any one can rationally think this is a flop in any sense.

Edit: Also, how does it making less on opening explain anything, since no one had seen the film yet. Your logic...is not logical. Not to mention it has the second biggest opening weekend of all time.

I give up, I'll be in my cave.

16 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

If you don't understand how TFA was a way bigger deal then TLJ I don't think there's any point in having this conversation.

And if you find the actual critic reviews suspect, well, I have a bridge to sell you.

Nothing happening now is not predicted or unexpected. I don;t know how any one can rationally think this is a flop in any sense.

Edit: Also, how does it making less on opening explain anything, since no one had seen the film yet. Your logic...is not logical. Not to mention it has the second biggest opening weekend of all time.

I give up, I'll be in my cave.

Exactly because the opening was so big and close to TFA. Which means that the interest before seeing the movie was simillar to TFA. Then the numbers dropped since then because people like this movie much less than TFA. 

If you don t find strange no critic talked about any of the problems of the movie that is strange...

9 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Some critics did. Go read the actual reviews instead of looking at numbers on a website.

And this isn't even the point. It's not a flop. That's not what flop means

In the beguining no critic said anything negative about the movie. How would I know the content of the reviews by looking at numbers?

It is a flop if it generates much less than TFA. 

Just now, divica said:

In the beguining no critic said anything negative about the movie. How would I know the content of the reviews by looking at numbers?

It is a flop if it generates much less than TFA. 

No, that's not what flop means. Please stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

And uh, you would not know the content of reviews by looking at numbers, that's my point. And there were many reviews that pointed out the movie was not perfect while still giving it a good review, plus I remember reading one negative review at some site called CNN. I guess they're a news channel or something?

Someone else help me out here, I fell like I took the wrong pills.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

AKA, if the ships all jumped to different locations, the First Order could only have followed one of them?

I wish they had come up with a better idea behind this aspect of the story.

I wish they could have done the same with the Falcon plot in TESB. Wert has explained how it makes sense, but that required multiple novelizations and guides that were written 20 years after the fact. 

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

In Luke’s hero’s journey to the underworld/dark side pit, he sees Darth Vader. Rey, in a similar moment, sees herself, infinitely reflected. Kyle Ren says he has seen the moment where she turns. We still have the prophecy of the one who will bring balance. So maybe it’s just that Rey starts to reject the idea of light side and dark side. And just starts accepting that the force “is” and does use the dark side sometimes. 

Also, maybe she and Ren are connected simply because they are powerful light side and dark side Force users?  

Also Snoke did suck as a villain. 

Interesting to me at least, Rey's view of 'herself' in the cave is  the closest we get to the Sith ethos in a movie - which is that it is okay to do what you want. This was the closest they've ever come to Stover's view of Light/Dark side and the ethical evil that one can do.

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No, that's not what flop means. Please stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

And uh, you would not know the content of reviews by looking at numbers, that's my point. And there were many reviews that pointed out the movie was not perfect while still giving it a good review, plus I remember reading one negative review at some site called CNN. I guess they're a news channel or something?

Someone else help me out here, I fell like I took the wrong pills.

So when you want to read a review about a movie you go to CNN? I go to movie sites, but ok... You are confusing the critics when the movie came out with the critics after a couple of days... 

If 2 movies of the same franchise have very diferent revenues you can think of one of them as a flop. You don t need the studios to loose Money for a movie to flop. It just has to underachieve.

Stop being condescending with people, I don t think that this forum approves of how you are trying to make people feeling stupid for disagreeing with you. 

Just now, divica said:

So when you want to read a review about a movie you go to CNN? I go to movie sites, but ok... You are confusing the critics when the movie came out with the critics after a couple of days... 

Those were still quite high for TLJ. 

Just now, divica said:

If 2 movies of the same franchise have very diferent revenues you can think of one of them as a flop. You don t need the studios to loose Money for a movie to flop. It just has to underachieve.

TLJ has not done so.

Just now, divica said:

Stop being condescending with people, I don t think that this forum approves of how you are trying to make people feeling stupid for disagreeing with you. 

The forum approves quite well of it. It doesn't approve of outright lies or attacks on posters, but it has a long history of condescension to those who have badly formulated arguments.

At the very least, it's quite clear that TLJ and Rian Johnson are darlings with respect to Disney, so whether or not you are correct (you're not) doesn't end up mattering a whole lot; Johnson is the future of Star Wars. 

3 minutes ago, divica said:

CNN is an example of a site that had a negative review BEFORE THE MOVIE opened. In DIRECT CONTRADICTION TO WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN SAYING.

That's still not what flop means.

Buddy, this isn't even a 1 on my condescending scale, if you have a problem, report it. Don't start shit in here.

Edit: Countdown to when someone accuses me of parroting Kalbear/being his alt....

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Those were still quite high for TLJ. 

TLJ has not done so.

The forum approves quite well of it. It doesn't approve of outright lies or attacks on posters, but it has a long history of condescension to those who have badly formulated arguments.

At the very least, it's quite clear that TLJ and Rian Johnson are darlings with respect to Disney, so whether or not you are correct (you're not) doesn't end up mattering a whole lot; Johnson is the future of Star Wars. 

1 Never said they weren t. Just that they started mentioning some problems of the movie and in the beguining the movie was perfect...

2 Right now it has generated less 30% of income (in usa) that TFA did in its first 11 days. That is significantly less.

Archived