Favorite Indie Comic Publisher

Martini Sigil

With the Marvel/DC rivalry transcending the comic book store shelves and extending into movie theaters --and by extension our social media feeds-- we all know how passionate some of us nerds can be... but as much as I always loved reading stuff from the big two comic publishers... most of the stuff I read these days is from indie companies... Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, Dynamite, Boom, IDW, Valiant, and I'm sure there are more worth mentioning... Many of their properties have already been translated into books and movies...

So the question for the field is... do you gravitate to a particular publisher whose titles you find favorable? Or are you die-hards for the big two?

I read more Image than anything else these days. Haven’t read anything from Marvel since The VIsion ended, and I’m only reading a few DC titles atm (Dark Nights: Metal, Batman: White Knight, Doomsday Clock). Currently reading about 15 titles monthly from Image. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 2:59 AM, Nictarion said:

I read more Image than anything else these days. Haven’t read anything from Marvel since The VIsion ended, and I’m only reading a few DC titles atm (Dark Nights: Metal, Batman: White Knight, Doomsday Clock). Currently reading about 15 titles monthly from Image. 

Curious.... Have you, or anyone else who might be reading, ever heard of an indie publisher called Blue Juice?

I read what I like - if there's a great team working on big two characters I'll probably have a look but to be honest I'm far more interested in self-contained comics that aren't solely about superheroes. As such Indie companies are the best choice. The thing is I'm not sure how "indy" companies like Image, IDW, Dark Horse really are. It's like thinking of "brew dog" as still being indpedent in brewing terms.

Those companies have a level of quality control to them although Image is essentially a creator owned publishing wing for established Marvel/DC writers which is why they've had such a good run. It's usually noticeable when I try a new comic by creators outside the big two that the quality is far less reliable. These days it feels like "indy" books are where established creators get creative and the big two are where the creators become established. A decade ago it was the other way around with creators proving themselves with the "indy" books first.

I still lament the loss of Vertigo as it can still produce gems eg Clean room. I really hope Karen Berger will someday return to comics publishing - she's sorely missed.

9 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I believe she is at Dark Horse .... https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2606/berger-books-dark-horse

Cool, I strongly suspect that line is the line to watch in 2018. Thanks for pointing this out as Dark Horse usually falls under my radar. Hopefully some new material coming out rather than reprints of old vertigo stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived