B+R=R

Angel Eyes

I read as much as I could stand.  It's refreshing to see a post that actually starts out with "it may be too convoluted..".  

I'm still arguing with each point in my head.    Rhaella wouldn't have dared have an affair.   Any romance she enjoyed happened well before she married her brother.  There were 7 total children produced by the Targ union.   3 children survived to adulthood.   You can't set Rhaegar apart and claims he's better than Dany.   All Rhaegar really did was study and be very good at all his tasks.  It is Dany's blood that gives her magic.

Bonifer's sin may have been as horrifying as lusting in his heart for Rhaella.  He wouldn't be the 1st man to suffer that.   The loss of someone you really love is endless.  The loved are precious.  Not everyone bounces back from that type of loss.   I know 7 or 8 women who have opted not to date after the loss of husbands.   I see no difference between taking strict vows of chastity or choosing not to love again.  Bonifer may have been incapable of loving anyone but God after losing his chance with Rhaella.   

The post is interesting to a degree, but it's not a great argument at all.    What did you think of it? 

5 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I read as much as I could stand.  It's refreshing to see a post that actually starts out with "it may be too convoluted..".  

I'm still arguing with each point in my head.    Rhaella wouldn't have dared have an affair.   Any romance she enjoyed happened well before she married her brother.  There were 7 total children produced by the Targ union.   3 children survived to adulthood.   You can't set Rhaegar apart and claims he's better than Dany.   All Rhaegar really did was study and be very good at all his tasks.  It is Dany's blood that gives her magic.

Bonifer's sin may have been as horrifying as lusting in his heart for Rhaella.  He wouldn't be the 1st man to suffer that.   The loss of someone you really love is endless.  The loved are precious.  Not everyone bounces back from that type of loss.   I know 7 or 8 women who have opted not to date after the loss of husbands.   I see no difference between taking strict vows of chastity or choosing not to love again.  Bonifer may have been incapable of loving anyone but God after losing his chance with Rhaella.   

The post is interesting to a degree, but it's not a great argument at all.    What did you think of it? 

It’s an interesting theory, not too sure what to make of it. Weren’t there miscarriages as well?  

There were miscarriages. But they still produced three healthy children. A point of that argument seems to be Rhaegar & Dany are simply too smart and not representative of incest marriage and relations between two close siblings. Making no mention of Tommen & Myrcella who for all intents and purposes have little issues, or the numerous Targaryens before Rhaegar and Dany whom were the results of almost identical settings but also grew up to be relatively perfect.

5 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

It’s an interesting theory, not too sure what to make of it. Weren’t there miscarriages as well?  

Yes.   7 pregnancies.   3 healthy children survived to adulthood.  The rest were miscarriages, stillborns and children who died quite young.  I scoured Rhaella's pregnancies for my latest topic, but found no mention of twisted monster babies.  The children were all Aerys'.  At 1 point he was convinced Rhaella was unfaithful causing all the problems he had in producing those spare heirs.   He ordered 2 septas to sleep in her bed with her to ensure there was no one else.   Aery's later determined it was his own infidelity that caused the problems.   He made quite a few adjustments during his marriage.   

Angel Eyes, no one loves a new take on things more than I.   It gets very boring waiting for books to publish.  The theory you linked takes more than a few liberties in stating that George RR Martin would do this or think that.   If the author has actually read GRRM he would know better.  This theory ignores much of what is written.   I am a secret supporter of the Tyrion is a Targ idea.   Unlike Rhaella + Bonifer, there are some hints if not clues to point to a real idea.   All there is for R+B is brief mention of a fondness between them.   There is no sexual innuendo, no smoking gun, nothing to even try to pull an infidelity thread off.   We can do better than this I promise.   I never know how immersed a reader is according to a post count.   You don't have a lot of posts, but you sure are curious about things and you seem to enjoy the discussions.   Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn...have you read about Bolt On or Euron the Greenseer    Bolt On is more fun than anyone should ever have and the Euron topic can take you to some amazing places.  Are they true?  I don't know, but I would like to know who you think the Hooded Man is or who wrote the Pink Letter.   This one is just not a good theory at all.   

Nah. If GRRM wanted Bonnie to be Rhaegar's father, he'd make him a little more prominent a character, I imagine. But Bonnie appears late in the series (for realz, in Book 4, a single passing mention in Book 2), and is rarely mentioned even then.

There are several fan theories based on an assumption that some obscure background character is in fact super important. My take is, if they were super important, GRRM would give them some more exposition.

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Yes.   7 pregnancies.   3 healthy children survived to adulthood.  The rest were miscarriages, stillborns and children who died quite young.  I scoured Rhaella's pregnancies for my latest topic, but found no mention of twisted monster babies.  The children were all Aerys'.  At 1 point he was convinced Rhaella was unfaithful causing all the problems he had in producing those spare heirs.   He ordered 2 septas to sleep in her bed with her to ensure there was no one else.   Aery's later determined it was his own infidelity that caused the problems.   He made quite a few adjustments during his marriage.   

Angel Eyes, no one loves a new take on things more than I.   It gets very boring waiting for books to publish.  The theory you linked takes more than a few liberties in stating that George RR Martin would do this or think that.   If the author has actually read GRRM he would know better.  This theory ignores much of what is written.   I am a secret supporter of the Tyrion is a Targ idea.   Unlike Rhaella + Bonifer, there are some hints if not clues to point to a real idea.   All there is for R+B is brief mention of a fondness between them.   There is no sexual innuendo, no smoking gun, nothing to even try to pull an infidelity thread off.   We can do better than this I promise.   I never know how immersed a reader is according to a post count.   You don't have a lot of posts, but you sure are curious about things and you seem to enjoy the discussions.   Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn...have you read about Bolt On or Euron the Greenseer    Bolt On is more fun than anyone should ever have and the Euron topic can take you to some amazing places.  Are they true?  I don't know, but I would like to know who you think the Hooded Man is or who wrote the Pink Letter.   This one is just not a good theory at all.   

This one is more of a branch-off of a theory on Reddit that suggests that Bonifer is Daenerys’ father, just with the child switched.

Why though? Even if that was true, what would it change at this point? You'd never be able to provide it wasn't Aerys who fathered Rhaegar at this point. Both parties are long dead.

If this were revealed, I wouldn't careless.

17 minutes ago, Faera said:

Why though? Even if that was true, what would it change at this point? You'd never be able to provide it wasn't Aerys who fathered Rhaegar at this point. Both parties are long dead.

Why? Because the hiatus between books is a great time for theories to ferment.

I actually had the exact same thought as the Reddit poster, that Rhaegar came to the conclusion that he wasn't the Prince that Was Promised because he came to the realization that Aerys was not his father.  Which also made me think that the Lady in Waiting that Aerys was cheating with may not have been Joanna but may have been the Princess of Dorne.   So if Rhaegar was only Rhaella's son but not the son of Aerys, and Elia's father was actually Aerys, then Aegon would have been from the line of Rhaella and Aerys in an unconventional way.

Elia being Aerys' daughter might also explain why Aerys consented to Rhaegar's marriage with Elia.  If Aerys had a reason to believe that Elia was his daughter than that might have made this marriage arrangement more suitable in his eyes.  Rhaegar may not have had a sister, but may have had a half-sister to marry.

This theory is even more likely if Rhaella was trying to purposely prevent TPTWP prophecy by aborting any children she conceived with Aerys, explaining her many "miscarriages". 

I actually just recently thought about this, but I personally decided that it is unlikely; Rhaella was born in 245AC and Rhaegar was born in 259AC. That makes Rhaella around 14-years-old when she gives birth to him at Summerhall and we don't know when Rhaella married Aerys, but it must've been around a year before Rhaegar's birth, which would put it maybe in 258AC, when Rhaella was around 13-years-old. Rhaella's relationship to Bonnifer must've been around this time or when she was around 12-years-old, which not only makes their relationship even creepier because Bonnifer was a "young, landed knight" and most likely a few years older than her, but it also makes it unlikely that Rhaella had reached puberty at that age and managed to conceive a child with Bonnifer if they were to engage in sex with each other.

Also, considering Rhaella's position as a princess, I don't think that she would've been allowed to be alone with a (most likely) much older knight, and a landed one at that. She would most likely have had guards around her when she was with him and I believe that guard must've been Barristan Selmy, since he seems to have quite a bit of knowledge about Rhaella's feelings for Bonnifer and the fact that she was "mindful of her duties", which implies that Barristan had seen Rhaella want to be with Bonnifer or Bonnifer making advances that Rhaella, but Rhaella resisting.

Also there is the talk about religion; since Bonnifer decided to completely devote himself to the Faith after Rhaella married, it implies that he must've been a religious man even before he met Rhaella and her marriage to another man was the reason for his extreme devotion.

5 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I actually had the exact same thought as the Reddit poster, that Rhaegar came to the conclusion that he wasn't the Prince that Was Promised because he came to the realization that Aerys was not his father.  Which also made me think that the Lady in Waiting that Aerys was cheating with may not have been Joanna but may have been the Princess of Dorne.   So if Rhaegar was only Rhaella's son but not the son of Aerys, and Elia's father was actually Aerys, then Aegon would have been from the line of Rhaella and Aerys in an unconventional way.

Elia being Aerys' daughter might also explain why Aerys consented to Rhaegar's marriage with Elia.  If Aerys had a reason to believe that Elia was his daughter than that might have made this marriage arrangement more suitable in his eyes.  Rhaegar may not have had a sister, but may have had a half-sister to marry.

This theory is even more likely if Rhaella was trying to purposely prevent TPTWP prophecy by aborting any children she conceived with Aerys, explaining her many "miscarriages". 

Now this is a new one that I had never even considered! But please to remember that Elia was born a little bit before Rhaegar, around 257AC, which places a bit of a troublesome time period. Can you elaborate the possible time period that Aerys might've had a chance to be with the Princess of Dorne?

On 12/20/2017 at 4:44 AM, Angel Eyes said:

So I found this theory here that suggests that Bonifer Hasty had an affair with Rhaella and is Rhaegar Targaryen’s father.

Thoughts?

Could be. Yet it seems unlikely, that Lyanna could be daughter of Aerys.

On 12/20/2017 at 11:51 PM, Frey family reunion said:

Which also made me think that the Lady in Waiting that Aerys was cheating with may not have been Joanna but may have been the Princess of Dorne. 

One doesn't exclude the other. Aerys was known to be very promiscuous. That means Jaime and Elia could be half siblings. Interesting how it could have influenced PoD's and Joanna's decision to betroth their children. If Jaime wed Elia, their children would have started some double-bastard Targaryen-Lannister- Martell branch.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 2:24 PM, Faera said:

Because I think that people can’t believe that Aerys and Rhaella could create viable offspring thanks to their family being inbred over several generations. While there are well-known theories that Aerys sired bastards elsewhere (A+J=C/J or T), this goes in the other direction.

On 12/19/2017 at 6:44 PM, Angel Eyes said:

So I found this theory here that suggests that Bonifer Hasty had an affair with Rhaella and is Rhaegar Targaryen’s father.

Thoughts?

Since Jon is the prince that was promised from the line of aerys and Rhaella, and Rhaegar is Jon's father, Rhaegar's parents are Aerys and his sister 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived