College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

Well I was hoping for a Georgia win, but my buddy who took Bama gave me 3.5 points. Still got my 20 bucks - though in this city, that's simply a round of shots for the two of us. So, same outcome either way. 

That was no Rose Bowl, but it was still a fun game the whole time.

For all the gnashing of teeth about two SEC teams playing, the ratings say you liked it.

Golic and Wingo this morning said it was the second highest rated program in ESPN history.  28 million viewers.

Guess people thought it was more than just regional interest after all. :dunno: 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

For all the gnashing of teeth about two SEC teams playing, the ratings say you liked it.

Golic and Wingo this morning said it was the second highest rated program in ESPN history.  28 million viewers.

Guess people thought it was more than just regional interest after all. :dunno: 

Yeah, that's not what the ratings say at all.  Especially considering the highest rated program in ESPN history was the only title game without a signle SEC team in it.

36 minutes ago, sperry said:

Yeah, that's not what the ratings say at all.  Especially considering the highest rated program in ESPN history was the only title game without a signle SEC team in it.

They said tOSU v Oregon was number one, but it wasn't by a ton.

It still shows that we love football no matter who's playing.

2 minutes ago, S John said:

I think it helps that it was a pretty good game.  I tuned in and out for most of it but by the last quarter it was pretty interesting and I stuck around for the finish.  

That's kind of what they said this morning.  And they also speculated that many people tune in to watch Bama lose... which they got for three quarters, and then it was so good they had to stay.

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That's kind of what they said this morning.  And they also speculated that many people tune in to watch Bama lose... which they got for three quarters, and then it was so good they had to stay.

I'm certain if Bama had been up 13 at halftime I would have turned it off. 

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm certain if Bama had been up 13 at halftime I would have turned it off. 

Yeah, that was what they said.  If it had been a flipped score, people would have been less interested.

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago we all agreed that Kentucky had won the "name" signings with the likes of Mister Cobble.

I'm going to go ahead and declare victory this year with the signing of running back Kovosiey Smoke (pronounced like the drink... Courvoisier).  I can only hope he scores many touchdowns and I get to hear it over and over.  :lol: 

On 2/8/2018 at 7:41 AM, Rhom said:

A few years ago we all agreed that Kentucky had won the "name" signings with the likes of Mister Cobble.

I'm going to go ahead and declare victory this year with the signing of running back Kovosiey Smoke (pronounced like the drink... Courvoisier).  I can only hope he scores many touchdowns and I get to hear it over and over.  :lol: 

I'm really excited for Smoke and Terry "Touchdown" Wilson.  Along with the defensive signings... for a defense guy as a coach in Stoops, it's kind of odd/disappointing all of our improvements over the past couple seasons have been on offense.  Largely thanks to Stephen Johnson... not that I'm complaining after being mediochre-bowl-worthy 2 years in a row.  Truly this is a fun time to be a Kentucky football fan, after what we've been given (more often that not) over the years. We're still moving in the right direction.... really hoping next year isn't a set-back with the changeover in QB.  All defenses will now focus on stopping Snell, so we have to have some kind of passing threat. 

• 2 months later...

Some interesting new rules. 

1. A team can get a touchback on any kickoff even if it is caught on the field of play.  No sky-high kicks to the 5 yard line to pin a team down.  A fair catch there puts the ball on the 25.  Safety.

2. a 10-second runoff will occur when instant replay overturns a call on the field inside of the final minute of a half on a play in which the clock would not have been stopped.   No free timeout when the booth intervenes.

15 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Some interesting new rules. 

1. A team can get a touchback on any kickoff even if it is caught on the field of play.  No sky-high kicks to the 5 yard line to pin a team down.  A fair catch there puts the ball on the 25.  Safety.

2. a 10-second runoff will occur when instant replay overturns a call on the field inside of the final minute of a half on a play in which the clock would not have been stopped.   No free timeout when the booth intervenes.

Have to say it's just about time to just get rid of kickoffs/punts. It feels like the most penalized, legislated and injury riddled play in football, college and pro's. I would think that 90% of the time that I am amazed by a great play on special teams it comes back for a penalty and wipes out all the excitement. Just not worth it anymore.

Kickoffs just give the team the ball at the 25. Punts, do it track and field style, where it first touches the ground it where the other team takes over. Or hell, just take the avg of the last 10 years of net punts and automatically move the ball that far. 

Archived