College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

Old thread was at 22 pages...

Question I've not been able to readily find the answer for.  Kentucky signed a 24 year old punter from Australia, who has played professionally in Australian-Rules football in the outback.  How does he have NCAA eligibility?  4 years of it even.

Just now, Ded As Ned said:

Old thread was at 22 pages...

Question I've not been able to readily find the answer for.  Kentucky signed a 24 year old punter from Australia, who has played professionally in Australian-Rules football in the outback.  How does he have NCAA eligibility?  4 years of it even.

:dunno:  Wondered that too.  Enes Kanter's dad looked longingly at a bank account for a professional Euro league and he never got cleared to play.   However, there could be a loophole since it isn't his sport.  Kinda like the guys who play minor league baseball and come back to play football or some such.

Its also signing day.  I know our local fans of bigger schools have much to follow today.

OM flipped a 4-star WR this morning who had been committed to UGA. Back to our cheatin' ways already it seems! :leaving:   Of course it does nothing to address the team's biggest weakness (essentially, all phases of the defense) but a nice bit of news nonetheless.

I like this early signing period. Always thought it was dumb for early HS graduates to be able to enroll in a university as early as December, but not actually be able to sign their letter until February. 

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

:dunno:  Wondered that too.  Enes Kanter's dad looked longingly at a bank account for a professional Euro league and he never got cleared to play.   However, there could be a loophole since it isn't his sport.  Kinda like the guys who play minor league baseball and come back to play football or some such.

Its also signing day.  I know our local fans of bigger schools have much to follow today.

Yeah I don't get it.  Kicker out west was making money off his youtube channel doing trick kicks since high school, then ruled ineligible.  I guess maybe if he had been using an Austrailian football then the NCAA would say it's ok?  I guess in the end just don't look down to the NCAA to ever make any sense when it comes to their eligibility rules and how they are applied.

4 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

OM flipped a 4-star WR this morning who had been committed to UGA. Back to our cheatin' ways already it seems! :leaving: 
(snip)

I like this early signing period. Always thought it was dumb for early HS graduates to be able to enroll in a university as early as December, but not actually be able to sign their letter until February. 

Haha that didn't take long.

I like the early signing day too... especially since January is traditionally when UK loses big commits to the whispers of bigger schools.  We only lost one 4-star and one 3-star (both receivers) this week, but it looks like everybody else has signed.

Turns out FSU isn’t bowl eligible, but it’s too late to fix now

A random Reddit user first discovered that Delaware did not award the 90% minimum of FCS scholarships required for an FCS school to count toward bowl eligibility.  FSU, the ACC, and the NCAA all should have discovered this; but everyone missed it.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Turns out FSU isn’t bowl eligible, but it’s too late to fix now

A random Reddit user first discovered that Delaware did not award the 90% minimum of FCS scholarships required for an FCS school to count toward bowl eligibility.  FSU, the ACC, and the NCAA all should have discovered this; but everyone missed it.

Meanwhile three teams who were actually bowl eligible (Buffalo, UTSA and...somebody else, I read it yesterday but can't remember) will sit at home while FSU plays in a game that's utterly meaningless to its fans and program, that it doesn't even deserve to be in. The bowls generally suck anyway but this whole situation is complete garbage. 

9 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Still not remotely interested in watching the upcoming Confederacy Bowl Championship Series.

Yeah, I didn’t watch the worst bcs game ever (the division rematch, lame), and I probably won’t watch either game this year where confederate states get automatic bids. ;-p

does the “boomer” mascot celebrate genocidal progenitors who gleefully participated in murder, rape, destroying families and the seizure and theft of property? And the humans they displaced were eagerly forced by the celebrated boomers into concentration camps, right?

go genocide go! Boomer! 

Well...bummer.  We had the game plan to beat Oklahoma State.  We just shot ourselves in the foot.  On the one yard line, ready to go in for a TD, and be up 14-3...and we fumble it away.  We were scrambling from there.  If we'd scored that, I have the feeling we might have taken them to the woodshed.  But instead a huge momentum swing their way.  Oh well...

The fanbase is double dipping today.

Hoops in Lexington at 1:00 UK v UofL

Football in Nashville at 4:30 UK v Northwestern

I'm expecting a split on the day with the basketball cats picking up a win and the football cats falling to a better Northwestern team.

15 minutes ago, sperry said:

$20 parlay against the remaining 8 SEC bowl teams to lose straight up. Will pay $3800 and I'm feeling quite good about it.

This UK game included in that?

Archived