College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I also think auto bids for champs are a ridiculously awful idea if the goal is the best 8.  We tried that before with the BCS system and you’d still end up with the occasional team that was gifted a spot due to winning their conference. If you go to an 8 team playoff and just pick the best 8, the majority of years you’ll still end up with the champ from each P5 conference but never have to worry about being saddled with a team from a conference in a down year or a team that pulls off a big upset in their conference championship game.

Well, the problem with only picking teams is that some years a conference just beats each other up, and none of the teams look that good, but they actually have good depth of talent.  Like the Big Ten this year, where OSU, PSU and WI all beat top 11 teams in bowl games, but none of them got a shot at the championship.  Hell, there's a good chance that OSU will finish the season with a 3-1 record vs the top 10, and yet they didn't even get a chance...

Presumably a 8 team tournament would mean the end of the conference championship games anyway, since they're stupid.  So it's the regular season winner of the 5 power conferences, the top non power team and 2 at large spots.  Yes, it is quite possible (likely even) that there will be one or two pretenders in the quarterfinal round, but they'll get eliminated straight away, so that isn't much of a problem. 

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I also think auto bids for champs are a ridiculously awful idea if the goal is the best 8.  We tried that before with the BCS system and you’d still end up with the occasional team that was gifted a spot due to winning their conference. If you go to an 8 team playoff and just pick the best 8, the majority of years you’ll still end up with the champ from each P5 conference but never have to worry about being saddled with a team from a conference in a down year or a team that pulls off a big upset in their conference championship game.

Y'all know we have this exact same conversation every year...  :lol: 

I get what you're saying, but I still think the 8-team system is the "fairest" because it allows for some wildcards in case a team punches upward in a conference title game. 

I don't quite get the logic of this system rendering the regular season meaningless. Generally speaking, teams could still only afford to lose a game or two along the way. I mean, how many teams in the field were better this year than Penn St? Yet they probably wouldn't even be in the hypothetical 8-team scenario thanks to a regular season loss at Michigan St. 

@Maithanet

@Rhom

I would be fine with doing away with the conference championship games. This would also seem to go a long way toward solving the "regular season doesn't matter" conundrum. 

Of course the counter argument is that conferences are different sizes, SEC only plays 8 conference games, yada yada.

Truth is unless all conferences go to 10 teams (not happening) playing full slate 9-game schedules (may happen once Saban retires), no system is going to be perfect. And even that doesn't account for luck in home field scheduling. There's no perfect system and there's not going to be. The best we can hope for as fans is something that gets us a bit closer to that. 

2 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

5 conference champs, highest ranked G5 team, two wildcards. 

So this year would have been: 

Clemson, OU, UGA, Ohio St, USC, UCF, (Wisconsin, Bama). Throw all those into a bracket and it's a safe bet the "best" of the bunch will emerge on top. 

Serious question: do you think that this would have changed the outcome significantly from what we're getting?

You would have had Clemson/Bama. You would have had OU/Wisconsin, UGA/UCF and Ohio State/USC. Assume the same results as the bowls, and you would have had Bama and OSU advancing and likely OU and UGA advancing.

Bama would have played UGA (as they are), and OSU would play OU. I guess the end result might have been that OU/Georgia game would have been the final instead of the semifinal, but I don't see how any actually good teams that were likely to beat Bama or Georgia or Clemson or OU were left out. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Serious question: do you think that this would have changed the outcome significantly from what we're getting?

You would have had Clemson/Bama. You would have had OU/Wisconsin, UGA/UCF and Ohio State/USC. Assume the same results as the bowls, and you would have had Bama and OSU advancing and likely OU and UGA advancing.

Bama would have played UGA (as they are), and OSU would play OU. I guess the end result might have been that OU/Georgia game would have been the final instead of the semifinal, but I don't see how any actually good teams that were likely to beat Bama or Georgia or Clemson or OU were left out. 

Quite possible; a lot would depend on how the bracket shook out. In any case we'll never know. Bottom line is I think Maith's point regarding good teams beating up on each other in-conference has merit. It's clear from their performance in the bowls that the Big 10 was likely the best conference overall this year, yet they placed no representative in playoff because the field was limited to just 4 teams, one of whom didn't make it to its conference title game.

50 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You dont see it? I can see it quite easily if I look at the results of the schedule.

Auburn split with Georgia, UCF beat Auburn, theres no certainty that Georgia wins that UCF V Georgia matchup.

I wonder what the ratings will be like for the final.  Bama and Georgia both earned it through winning, but it's going to be an all SEC match-up which might diminish non-regional interest.  Hard to imagine that with Bama's boring-ass style the Championship game will be able to come anywhere near living up to the excitement of the OU/ Georgia game.  

Saw a good point on another message board about Bama's journey to the title game. Going into the Iron Bowl with Auburn, Bama had several injuries that had hampered their defensive performance in prior weeks as well as in that game. Thus, the practical outcome for Bama losing the Iron Bowl turned out hugely in their favor - they got to sit at home and rest up for an extra week, while Auburn had to go play Georgia (for the 2nd time in three weeks) in the SECCG. So in essence, Bama profited from losing their rivalry game against Auburn, because it allowed them to skip the championship game and get their defense healthy for the post season.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

You dont see it? I can see it quite easily if I look at the results of the schedule.

Auburn split with Georgia, UCF beat Auburn, theres no certainty that Georgia wins that UCF V Georgia matchup.

I don't know how much you stock you can put in the Peach Bowl... or any other bowl outside of the playoff games. All these other bowl games have been severely devalued to the point that they're just postseason exhibition games with nothing on the line. A team like Central Florida playing Auburn in the Peach Bowl is a big deal for them. For the Auburn players though, playing in the Peach Bowl was probably more of a hassle than anything since it was such a huge letdown after the Iron Bowl, SEC title game and missing out on the playoff.

8 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Quite possible; a lot would depend on how the bracket shook out. In any case we'll never know. Bottom line is I think Maith's point regarding good teams beating up on each other in-conference has merit. It's clear from their performance in the bowls that the Big 10 was likely the best conference overall this year, yet they placed no representative in playoff because the field was limited to just 4 teams, one of whom didn't make it to its conference title game.

Well, that, and while the conference top to bottom was the best, that doesn't mean it had a team that was particularly worthy or capable of actually beating the other four in a game. And given we already had things like OU-OSU not work very well for OSU, there's a lot of evidence indicating that being left out was the right choice.

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I don't see UCF doing well in two big games in a row. And their schedule was so ridiculously weak.

Just saw on the ESPN bottom line scroll that UCF is going to claim a national title and hang a banner to commemorate their undefeated season.

And to really put their money where their mouth is... they are going to pay their entire coaching staff the national championship bonuses in their contracts. :stunned: 

:lol: 

42 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Just saw on the ESPN bottom line scroll that UCF is going to claim a national title and hang a banner to commemorate their undefeated season.

And to really put their money where their mouth is... they are going to pay their entire coaching staff the national championship bonuses in their contracts. :stunned: 

The bonuses are cool but fucking relax, UCF. You're embarrassing yourselves now.

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

As a Nebraska fan, now I'm even more excited that we're getting a national champ winning coach. :P

And here is an ESPN article mentioning other teams doing this in past years http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21954302/ucf-not-first-school-call-national-champion

27 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

UCF just proving my point. The meaningless bowl they played in was their national championship game. For Auburn, it was just a disappointing exhibition game.

So, you'd rather have the completely subjective poll rankings at the end of the year determine the "real" national champion?  How is that better than an 8 team play off?

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

As a Nebraska fan, now I'm even more excited that we're getting a national champ winning coach. :P

And here is an ESPN article mentioning other teams doing this in past years http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21954302/ucf-not-first-school-call-national-champion

Prior to the advent of the BCS, there was no “national champion.”  It was all based on polls, so you could legitimately claim a title if you had a poll that said you were number one.  I have no problem with that.

Post BCS, we know who the champ is.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Prior to the advent of the BCS, there was no “national champion.”  It was all based on polls, so you could legitimately claim a title if you had a poll that said you were number one.  I have no problem with that.

Post BCS, we know who the champ is.

Playoff champ does NOT equal National Champ if the playoff is considered illegitimate.  And this year it was, by me and many others. 

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

Playoff champ does NOT equal National Champ if the playoff is considered illegitimate.  And this year it was, by me and many others. 

What does a Playoff need to present to be considered "legitimate" in your view?  Do you consider UCF the genuine National Champion?

Archived