College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

18 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Some interesting new rules. 

1. A team can get a touchback on any kickoff even if it is caught on the field of play.  No sky-high kicks to the 5 yard line to pin a team down.  A fair catch there puts the ball on the 25.  Safety.

2. a 10-second runoff will occur when instant replay overturns a call on the field inside of the final minute of a half on a play in which the clock would not have been stopped.   No free timeout when the booth intervenes.

What is the exact wording for change #2?  Because that can lead to some potentially disastrous results.

• 1 month later...

So, I was listening to a podcast today, and came across this gem about the Chip Kelly regime at UCLA. He doesn't have a single recruit committed for the 2019 class, and refuses to talk to or acknowledge 2020 recruits. Looks like ole Chip learned exactly nothing from his time in the NFL. What a dope. UCLA is going to be in big trouble financially with its football program.

19 hours ago, sperry said:

So, I was listening to a podcast today, and came across this gem about the Chip Kelly regime at UCLA. He doesn't have a single recruit committed for the 2019 class, and refuses to talk to or acknowledge 2020 recruits. Looks like ole Chip learned exactly nothing from his time in the NFL. What a dope. UCLA is going to be in big trouble financially with its football program.

That was always his problem in Oregon - he has no real interest in the recruiting part. 

6 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

That was always his problem in Oregon - he has no real interest in the recruiting part. 

But even in the 5 years that he's been gone, the importance of recruiting and the demands on coaches has increased, not to mention that his offense is no longer going to be unique and innovative, nor is he at a "hot" program with incredible facilities and a blank check from Phil Knight.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

But even in the 5 years that he's been gone, the importance of recruiting and the demands on coaches has increased, not to mention that his offense is no longer going to be unique and innovative, nor is he at a "hot" program with incredible facilities and a blank check from Phil Knight.

I agree, and it's a problem for Kelly. At Oregon he had a large chunk of his staff that was interested in doing it, and they did enough of it okay that it paid off - specifically their RB coach was great at recruiting, and Helfrich was good at getting QBs. If he has other staff that's good at it he can get by, and UCLA is good enough of a location to attract players easily. But he's gonna lose out on the big names. 

• 1 month later...

It's going to be tough for him to deny he knew about it when his wife specifically said in a text message from 2015 that she had to tell him. I mean, he already denied it, now he has to decide whether to say his wife never told him even though she said she had to.

I'd say he will keep his job unless something concrete leaks out that proves he knew and did nothing about it.

From a selfish sports fan take, as a Michigan fan I kind of want him there. He brought the B1G football back to national relevance again, and I'd like to see Michigan beat them with him there.

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

It's going to be tough for him to deny he knew about it when his wife specifically said in a text message from 2015 that she had to tell him. I mean, he already denied it, now he has to decide whether to say his wife never told him even though she said she had to.

I'd say he will keep his job unless something concrete leaks out that proves he knew and did nothing about it.

From a selfish sports fan take, as a Michigan fan I kind of want him there. He brought the B1G football back to national relevance again, and I'd like to see Michigan beat them with him there.

Tressel won a championship at Ohio St. and he got fired for a lesser offense. I’d bet he gets canned within a week. Meyer’s track record when you include his time at Florida shows that he lacks ethics.  

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

I don't think he's going to survive. College football coaches are control freaks. They want to know every little thing that is going on in their program. The only way he didn't know is if he knew enough to know he should bury his head in the sand. In either case, he's not going to survive in this day and age.

Meyer has also been adamant over the years that his wife is his #1 confidante in all regards, having said something to the effect that she's like another member of the coaching staff. If the victim was texting her about Smith's horrific actions, it's completely ignoring common sense to believe that she didn't go directly to Urban with this information. 

And as much as I dislike touting Dan Wolken, he did bring up a very good point this morning: This is not Urban's first rodeo when it comes to playing fast and loose with very fucking bad people under his watch. The texts from 2015 weren't even Smith's first offenses.

The way Meyer views himself as a coach, the difficult calls are eventually made very simple by his sanctimonious, self-appointed sense of justice. Whether it was Aaron Hernandez running wild at Florida with no repercussions, Gators running back Chris Rainey texting “Time to die” to his girlfriend or star running back Carlos Hyde caught on video in a violent act before the 2013 season at Ohio State, Meyer needed nothing more than another stroke of his ego to justify giving someone chance after chance. 

But the anvil that has finally cracked Meyer’s holier-than-thou image for good has arrived in the form of an alleged serial domestic abuser who was given a second chance on his coaching staff when a troubling incident came to light in 2009, then fired last week when Zach Smith’s ex-wife was granted a protective order.

And now, a (rather oddly well-timed) complete takedown of Meyer has been published, featuring interviews with former UF players who detail physically and psychologically abusive practices under Urban's watch. 

Obviously football carries with it a tough-guy, quasi-military culture, but some of this shit described in this piece is really disturbing. 

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

What, in God's green Earth, IS THIS???  Meet Tony the Landshark... Ole Miss' completely logical new mascot.

I thought this had to be an Onion article at first, but apparently it's real.

Pure, unbridled WAOM is what it is. I'm to the point in my OM fandom where looking silly to the rest of the world is not only accepted, but expected and even welcomed *sips bourbon.*

In theory the mascot is an okay idea and a nice tribute to the former player who got the "landshark" tradition going. So naturally, they actually create the damn thing and it's nightmare fuel.  :lol:   When they announced they were going this route I was really hoping for something more...fun and cartoonish? A la this guy

EDSBS put a positive spin on it

42 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

They were pressured into getting rid of the Rebel guy mascot?  

Col Reb has not been the mascot in any official capacity since 2003. I was supportive of this decision and thought doing without a mascot entirely was just fine.

We went like 7 years without having one, then they brought in this stupid looking bear that was universally ridiculed.

Now they're trying the shark. Maybe we will start a pregame ritual where someone riding a motorcycle jumps over it.

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Col Reb has not been the mascot in any official capacity since 2003. I was supportive of this decision and thought doing without a mascot entirely was just fine.

We went like 7 years without having one, then they brought in this stupid looking bear that was universally ridiculed.

Now they're trying the shark. Maybe we will start a pregame ritual where someone riding a motorcycle jumps over it.

Now THAT would be something great!

Who cares about football... Kentucky just finished up the Big Blue Bahamas tour!!!!!

Do you think Sophomore Nick Richards is really as good as he showed?  Who starts at point?  Quickley or Hagans?  Will Tyler Herro be the Great White Hope every Eastern Kentucky fan wants him to be?

We've got important stuff to talk about here!

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

Who cares about football... Kentucky just finished up the Big Blue Bahamas tour!!!!!

Do you think Sophomore Nick Richards is really as good as he showed?  Who starts at point?  Quickley or Hagans?  Will Tyler Herro be the Great White Hope every Eastern Kentucky fan wants him to be?

We all know that Kentucky will play awkward lineups that don't make sense, and all of Cal's players will look 8 times better when they get to the NBA and are properly utilized.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:11 PM, Rhom said:

Go back to your cave! EVIL FIEND BEGONE!

Archived