College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

11 hours ago, S John said:

Dang, I so wanted to pick Kentucky too but I was thinking that 32 years is a lot of bad mojo to exorcise... too much to bet on.  But congrats to Kentucky on finally doing it!  

Also really enjoyed Colorado @ Nebraska today as well as the second half of Clemson @ A&M.  The lineup looked a little flimsy this week but I feel like we got the most out of it we could have.

The Nebraska game was a good watch. I think they will be a powerhouse under Frost eventually.

2 hours ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Hard to determine just how good Tua is. I dont know if i can see him translate to the NFL.

Highly accurate deep throwers tend to make good NFL QBs, and Tua is insanely efficient thus far (albeit in a small sample size). Of course, it's always hard to tell with Bama QBs because of the ridiculous talent they have surrounding them at the college level, but he sure looks like the real deal to me.

Unfortunately he won't be tested this week. Bama is going to name its score against the Ole Miss defense, which may be the worst in P5. 

Everytime I hear of a new turnover fetish-object being created, I think of the bit from The Waterboy of other college programs trying various support personnel on the field.

"Yesterday Michigan experimented with the towel boy at wide reciever, but the towel boy ran into a laundry list of problems"

Man, WVU @ NC State cancelled due to Hurricane Florence.  Pretty bummed about that.  WVU's game last week wasn't nationally televised and now there won't be one this week either.  Was also looking forward to a Grier / Finley shoot-out, two of the better QB's in the whole NCAA.  

23 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Highly accurate deep throwers tend to make good NFL QBs, and Tua is insanely efficient thus far (albeit in a small sample size). Of course, it's always hard to tell with Bama QBs because of the ridiculous talent they have surrounding them at the college level, but he sure looks like the real deal to me.

Unfortunately he won't be tested this week. Bama is going to name its score against the Ole Miss defense, which may be the worst in P5

Kingsbury says hello.

7 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

They at least shut out their FCS opponent last week. We gave up 38 points in the first half to ours.  :lol: 

That's the trouble with those FCS opponents.  Beat them like a drum and nobody cares, but if they give you fits or (God forbid) beat you, everyone has a hearty Nelson Laugh at your expense.  Still, I'd put more stock in the head to head results.  Your D stopped their O more than their D stopped your O.   I think Kliff has really tried to improve the D I just don't know if its enough for them to do anything in conference other than maybe upset a team they shouldn't.  

4 hours ago, S John said:

Man, WVU @ NC State cancelled due to Hurricane Florence.  Pretty bummed about that.  WVU's game last week wasn't nationally televised and now there won't be one this week either.  Was also looking forward to a Grier / Finley shoot-out, two of the better QB's in the whole NCAA.  

I don't see why they don't just move all those games inland.

Kentucky plays at noon on Saturday.  Half of the population of NC is moving this way for the weekend anyways, and its not a long drive to Lexington from Morgantown.  Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to work out.

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Kentucky plays at noon on Saturday.  Half of the population of NC is moving this way for the weekend anyways, and its not a long drive to Lexington from Morgantown.  Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to work out.

Randomly, the Ohio U / UVA game is still on as it's been moved to...Nashville (Vanderbilt Stadium). 

Seems like some of the other teams would have tried to find an alternate site as well.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

There was much consternation about this on the WVU boards among some fans.  Supposedly Holgorsen experienced something like this @ Houston and the hastily thrown together game was a clusterfuck that he didn't want to repeat.  The NC State game was the first part of a home and home, but switching the venues wasn't going to work because a. its possible the hurricane could cause bad weather and flooding in Morgantown as well (though nothing like Raleigh is likely to get) and b. it would mean WVU would only get 5 home games next year.  And, unfortunately WVU and NC State don't have any compatible Bye weeks this year either.

Additionally, WVU was slated to play 11 power 5 teams this season with Tennessee, NC State + the nine game Big 12 round robin.  I think they figured that, in light of the fact that a good many P5 schools only play 8 or 9 P5 opponents, we should still be OK with having played 10.  

I do wish they'd made more of an effort rather than cancelling outright, though.  

The cancellation of the VT-ECU is causing some acrimony.  The game was to be played in Blacksburg - not in Greenville.  The VT athletic department put out a statement on Monday saying the decision about the game would be made on Wednesday.  Yesterday (Tuesday), East Carolina just upped and put out a press release that said they were not going to play in the game.  Apparently they didn't call VT or anything - VT just found out when ECU put the press release out.  VT responded with a hastily put together press release later that in effect said "ECU has indicated they will not travel to Blacksburg for the game.  We had hoped to wait until Wednesday to make a decision, but at this point it is cancelled, and we'll see if we can reschedule the game"  (It's not going to be rescheduled, if I had to bet money.)  Also - somewhat unfortunately - someone in the VT athletic department forgot to delete a timed tweet that went out later that night, about how Hokies liked to play in the rain, with pictures from our beatdown of UNC a few years ago in the rain.

That of course, rubbed ECU fans the wrong way.  VT fans are irked because of a few things - as of Wednesday - which is when VT wanted to wait and make a decision - the predictions showed the hurricane making a significant turn to the south.  As of now, there's a decent chance that Blacksburg won't even get any rain, much less hurricane type weather, on Saturday.  And while Greenville is still likely to get hammered, ECU made a big deal about cancelling all events so all students could go home - except for the football team, who was put on a plane to go to Orlando to spend 10 days preparing for their game against USF. 

So there's a lot of feeling that ECU really jumped the gun on this - especially since they're not sending the football players to be home with their families - and used the situation to avoid a bad loss.  But...there's no way VT looks good in this situation if they complain at all.  Right now it's all fury from fans on the internet, and I'm sure VT won't complain officially.  We have something like a 10 year contract with ECU, that a lot of fans are getting tired of, and there has been some clamoring to use this to get out of that contract - but again, that would be "bad optics" as the saying goes.  I wonder if they'll try to move next year's ECU game back to Blacksburg.  I am bummed because I skipped our home opener against William and Mary, so I was looking forward to my first game of the season in person - and my son asked to go to the game for his birthday this coming weekend.  The silver lining is we have some players with nicks and bruises, and now they get an extra week to heal up.

Archived