College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

I mostly only pay attention to Buffalo basketball these years, but I was pleased to see that our football team is apparently 3-0 for the first time in team history. It's been 5 years since our last bowl game, and they've been pretty forgettable seasons. So with no easy way to watch the games, my main contribution to team spirit has been reminding people that Khalil Mack went to Buffalo and rooting for him to keep tearing through the NFL.

9 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

Florida State is a dumpster fire right now.  

It’s insane how bad this team looks. The O-line is horrendous(like top 5 bad), Francois hasn’t been consistently accurate and receivers drop big passes when he is, the secondary was torched by a FCS team and have breakdowns all the time, and there has been little pass rush. Combine that with learning a very different offense that revolves around something they can’t do(run the ball)and here we are. 

This is the third straight week that I thought it couldn’t get any worse. 

Utah's defense has been playing pretty good this game, despite the two ejections. Not that that was enough when the offense repeatedly shot itself in the foot with unforced fumbles and unguarded incompletions at the worst possible time. There were at least two touchdowns there for Utah that they screwed up with that stuff. 

Congrats to the Y for beating Wisconsin. I wouldn't read too much into it about them - it wouldn't be the first time that BYU pulled off a major spoiler victory against a top-ranked team, only to turn back into a pumpkin in the next game and lose by something ridiculous like 55-21. 

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

How about that North Texas fake fair catch?

Half of me loved it half of me hates it. Stuff like this leads to defenders smoking helpless catchers because they aren't sure if they called fair catch or not. Kind of a dangerous thing to do with your health, what if that Arkansas player knew it and laid him out? We would be talking about the dangers of football and why it should be abolished.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:26 AM, dbunting said:

Half of me loved it half of me hates it. Stuff like this leads to defenders smoking helpless catchers because they aren't sure if they called fair catch or not. Kind of a dangerous thing to do with your health, what if that Arkansas player knew it and laid him out? We would be talking about the dangers of football and why it should be abolished.

I'm in the same boat, mixed feelings.  Trick plays are always a blast, especially when its an underdog team doing it to a major conference team.  Though Arkansas is abysmal and that play was hardly the difference in the game, this still qualifies as big dog getting duped by wily underdog.  

On the other hand, though, those players are making a snap judgment call and surely they are coached not to blast a dude who has called for a fair catch.  Even though the UNT guy didn't officially make the signal, his general demeanor was of someone who had called fair catch.   They had to have notified the refs ahead of time or they would've blown the play dead when he started to walk past the defenders.  

I both salute the balls of the returner in facing down certain annihilation of the defenders don't bite, and find the play to be a little cheap.  

24 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I would not be surprised to see an in-season rule change for the North Texas Fair Catch Trick Play.

The reasons are pretty obvious and have been stated up-thread.

What would the rule change be?  Ref's discretion to blow the play dead?  I mean, the guy never signaled fair catch. 

51 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I would not be surprised to see an in-season rule change for the North Texas Fair Catch Trick Play.

The reasons are pretty obvious and have been stated up-thread.

I remember the play happened a couple years ago.  Maybe Louisville a few years back?  I just remember seeing it.

Archived