College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

On 9/29/2018 at 11:00 PM, KingintheNorth4 said:

Notre Dame's schedule is looking pretty easy after this statement win against Stanford. They're unlikely have to play any ranked opponents the rest of the season. They also don't have to play a conference championship game.

Then again, they're Notre Dame.

I think there’s a realistic chance they lose to VT this weekend.  I don’t have any idea what happened in that ODU game but it’s not unknown for Tech to lose to a team they have no business losing to and then go on to win their division or something.  

And Buffalo's magical season came crashing down with a 42-13 shellacking from Army. Last week Buffalo had six votes in the AP poll, their most ever, and I think they may have even cracked #25, or at least come damn close, if they had won against Army. Instead, back down to the pits of MAC obscurity they go.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Nebraska 0-4 and longest losing streak for the first time in forever. A pretty shitty fall is shaping up, when not even the weekends bring much joy.

Frost will be fine eventually, but that program is hot garbage right now. He needs a few years to get his own players in before the mess will be sufficiently cleaned up.

Cats are going to aTm playing with house money.

We lose this game and we go into the bye week at 5-1 with a heckuva chance for the best season in my lifetime. We win it... and holy shit are all of you guys going to get tired of hearing for the next two weeks of the national media "Is Kentucky for real?"  "Where will the Cats be ranked in the CFP rankings?" "Can UK threaten Georgia?" "Can Benny Snell crash the Heisman party?"

The good news is that UK plays a style of football that travels well.  Strong play on both sides of the line.  Solid running game.  Timely passes.  Stoops' teams also typically seem to play better on the road than at home, so I do actually have some hope here that I did not have before the season started.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:30 PM, S John said:

Since I already put ND on upset notice I’m going to boldly put OU there too.  Have a feeling about this Red River Shootout.  Longhorns get the W.

:smoking:

lets see if I can go 2 for 2!

lets go... Hokies?  :stillsick::stillsick::stillsick:

2 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

ETA:  And Francois hurt again.  Hard to tell how bad it is yet, but it might be bad.  same knee

ETA2:  Francois lives!  And so apparently does FSU.

They actually look like a competent football team so far. It’s shocking.

ETA: And here’s the real FSU team.

Coaching malpractice.

Ignoring the entirety of the game… there are 120+ other coaches in FBS who would hand the ball to Benny Snell at 3rd and 2 in overtime.

Inexcusable.

The Missouri South Carolina game was in a monsoon, and with massive puddles on the field every time Missouri ran the ball they’d get 12-24 yards. So naturally Missouri opted to throw the ball three times In a row on multiple possessions going three and out in the rain because they fail to recognize that wet balls are slippery and route running and not slipping and falling  is hard when the field has two inches of water in it

Aplus coaching Missouri. Try throwing it again! This time it will work!

So Buffalo sorta redeemed its crushing loss to Army with a not-really-as-close-as-the-score-looks win against Central Michigan and are now 5-1. I took a look at the schedule, and I don't want to get ahead of myself, but the MAC is having an extreme down year and there's a non-zero chance (though still relatively low) that Buffalo could go the distance and finish 11-1. And it got me thinking, if that did happen, would Buffalo be the worst 11-1 team in the history of college football?

I thought the team was decent, but then they got destroyed by Army. They did crush Rutgers, but everyone does that. And everyone else they've played and will play this season is terrible.

Archived