SpaceX's Big Falcon Topic 2

SpaceChampion

Just watched star man rotate through a video feed of an almost full shot of the earth. managed to see the two edges of the earth simultaneously on the X axis, but because of wide screen the top and bottom were cut off. I wonder if the video feed will last long enough for us to see have a total view of the globe with starman in the foreground.

Regarding the reason the center booster failed to ignite two of the three engines it needed to land -- it appears to be due to the Triethylaluminium-Triethylborane (TEA-TEB) igniter used to restart the engines being insufficient.  Somehow it ran out of the stuff.  Maybe the initial reentry burn used up a lot to get the engines started.  A bigger supply of it onboard is the likely solution.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

No, this is about the Dragon 2 capsule, that rides on Falcon 9.  It's main mission it to the International Space Station.  SpaceX's cargo flights to ISS have been successful (except that one that blew up a few years ago) and they're obligated to upgrade Dragon for human crews.  It has 7 seats but NASA just wants about 4 seats per flight.  A few tourists might go up in the remaining seats.  No pilot is needed, it's all autonomous.

Dragon will likely never go to Mars.  It was on track to do so in the Red Dragon mission plan to deliver robotic payloads there, but once again BFR is just the better option so they're not going to spend time and limited resources on it.

Thanks for clearing that up! Why are they obligated to upgrade to human crews for trips to he ISS if it’s all autonomous? What would the crew be doing?

27 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Ha! Overshot it's target, it's going to the asteroid belt!

Intended or not, there’s something about this that makes it seem like the perfect ending to the mission today!

4 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Thanks for clearing that up! Why are they obligated to upgrade to human crews for trips to he ISS if it’s all autonomous? What would the crew be doing?

NASA needs to rotate crews on ISS.  SpaceX and Boeing have contracts with NASA to send astronauts up to ISS and switch them out with those astronauts already up there ending their typically 6-month long occupation of the station.  Every 3 months or so there needs to be a cargo flight, and about every 6 months a crew flight.  Currently NASA can only send astronauts up on the Russian rockets with the Soyuz capsules, for which NASA pays the Russians a lot of money.  NASA can been paying SpaceX very well for making milestones in development of the crew version of the Dragon 2.  The crew are just passengers, not piloting the Dragon.

13 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

NASA needs to rotate crews on ISS.  SpaceX and Boeing have contracts with NASA to send astronauts up to ISS and switch them out with those astronauts already up there ending their typically 6-month long occupation of the station.  Every 3 months or so there needs to be a cargo flight, and about every 6 months a crew flight.  Currently NASA can only send astronauts up on the Russian rockets with the Soyuz capsules, for which NASA pays the Russians a lot of money.  NASA can been paying SpaceX very well for making milestones in development of the crew version of the Dragon 2.  The crew are just passengers, not piloting the Dragon.

Gotcha, I forgot that NASA was still depending on the Russians to send astronauts up to the ISS. 

Watched yesterday at work.  It was truly awe inspiring, especially the part where they landed the boosters in unison while upright.  An amazing bit of engineering.

Came home talking about it at dinner and can't express how disappointed I am... my teenage step-daughter only wanted to talk about the name of Kylie Jenner's new baby.  :(

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Watched yesterday at work.  It was truly awe inspiring, especially the part where they landed the boosters in unison while upright.  An amazing bit of engineering.

Came home talking about it at dinner and can't express how disappointed I am... my teenage step-daughter only wanted to talk about the name of Kylie Jenner's new baby.  :(

This is why I despise Hollywood reality tv culture. The poorest form of bread and circus that takes away from the important stuff. 

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Really?  I thought it was in a stable orbit with the Belt at its apihelion point?

I didn't read the details, but I thought it was mentioned that this would not be that stable, as the original orbit would have been.

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Really?  I thought it was in a stable orbit with the Belt at its aphelion point?

Should be pretty stable, but a fast-moving micrometeorite could knock it off its orbit.  It's aphelion is apparently about 2.6AU, not quite as far as Ceres (2.76 AU).  It's not going anywhere near Jupiter.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

You think that's bad, my oldest son doing an engineering degree and my youngest is doing a bachelors in chemistry and physics. They weren't buzzing about this either. And they're even into sci-fi stuff. Though my engineering son was kind of excited at the idea that he could theoretically one day be a civil engineer on the moon or Mars.

Ok, I'm hearing now that the initial estimates of it's orbit is wrong.  It's been corrected to:

Mars in July!  Except Mars will still be 100 million km away.  No Ceres for Starman!  Each elliptical orbit is going to take about 1.6 years, so sooner or later it will pass close to Mars.

Archived