Soundtracks for Movies/TV Shows/Video Games

Corvinus85

Numero Uno for me is Clint Mansell. Almost too difficult to choose which is my favourite. The Fountain probably, as someone else pointed out it's the soundtrack that lifts the film to another level. It wouldn't be as memorable a film without it. But (as I think we have discussed in this forum before) it is Requiem for a Dream which has one of the most borrowed tracks ever, appearing in lots of other places, like trailers for The Two Towers and (horror) Sky Sports*. But I really enjoy the OST for Moon as well (I find it great for helping me to concentrate on writing).

Special mention for Howard Shore because the music is such an integral part of the LOTR films. I also love the score for Eastern Promises, which makes perfect Friday night bathing music. Try it.

My other special appreciation goes to Ramin Djawadi whom I first noticed doing that clever piano thing on Westworld. But also notable for the GOT theme, other GOT tracks and best of all - Light of the Seven from the S7 finale.

Finally, I still feel sad and wretched every single time I hear Duel of the Fates because it always makes me feel instantly excited and then immediately CRUSHED by how terrible The Phantom Menance was. 

*If you like soundtracks do seek out that three part documentary about the use of soundtracks and scores throughout the history of film because it's fascinating.

37 minutes ago, Isis said:

Finally, I still feel sad and wretched every single time I hear Duel of the Fates because it always makes me feel instantly excited and then immediately CRUSHED by how terrible The Phantom Menance was. 

Look at it from another perspective. If Duel of the Fates was the one good thing to come out of that whole mess of a trilogy, it was worth it.

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Look at it from another perspective. If Duel of the Fates was the one good thing to come out of that whole mess of a trilogy, it was worth it.

Yeah not that I'm a Star Wars supernerd, but I used to know the actual lyrics to Duel of the Fates :P

On 12/24/2017 at 7:53 AM, Ran said:

@PsicoNny

Yoko Kanno's work on Cowboy Bebop is phenomenal. "Tank!" is such a swinging number.

Oh everything she does is gold.

10 hours ago, Isis said:

Numero Uno for me is Clint Mansell. Almost too difficult to choose which is my favourite. The Fountain probably, as someone else pointed out it's the soundtrack that lifts the film to another level. It wouldn't be as memorable a film without it. But (as I think we have discussed in this forum before) it is Requiem for a Dream which has one of the most borrowed tracks ever, appearing in lots of other places, like trailers for The Two Towers and (horror) Sky Sports*. But I really enjoy the OST for Moon as well (I find it great for helping me to concentrate on writing).

Special mention for Howard Shore because the music is such an integral part of the LOTR films. I also love the score for Eastern Promises, which makes perfect Friday night bathing music. Try it.

My other special appreciation goes to Ramin Djawadi whom I first noticed doing that clever piano thing on Westworld. But also notable for the GOT theme, other GOT tracks and best of all - Light of the Seven from the S7 finale.

*If you like soundtracks do seek out that three part documentary about the use of soundtracks and scores throughout the history of film because it's fascinating.

Small quibble - I think Light of the Seven was the season 6 finale. But yes, absolutely excellent :) and Djawadi has been consistently great throughout Thrones, whatever my other problems. And proved himself again on Westworld

I love John williams but he's been mentioned loads.

One that hasn't and it's a shame is Basil Poledouris's score for Conan the Barbarian.

Also the best score in the last 10 years IMO is Daft Punk's from Tron Legacy.

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Also the best score in the last 10 years IMO is Daft Punk's from Tron Legacy.

Oh yes! Its also massively influential, I see that style now being used in pretty much every sci fi movie going these days.

Unfortunately the movie never really lived up to the Trailer, which at the 1m 40s point is simply incredible:

Which kind of reminds me of the Mad Max Fury road trailer, as it was a perfect mix of music and editing, but that wasn't ever quite as good in the movie (still like that movie though)

The soundtrack to The Witcher 3 is excellent. I wasn't expecting much after the first two games, but that soundtrack is absolutely next-level stuff.

The Mass Effect trilogy as a whole has a great soundtrack but the third game (which Clint Mansell did some stuff on) is outstanding.

The Expanse has a terrific soundtrack for a modern TV show. I've also found myself going back to Christopher Franke's work on Babylon 5, which is still unusual in its orchestral/electronic blend and stands up very well.

On 12/24/2017 at 3:33 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Elder Scrolls Oblivion is my go to soundtrack when I can't sleep.

Here's your new one:

I've never played this underwater game myself, but holy balls, this is one hour of pure oceanic bliss while also being a sophisticated composition for a chamber orchestra that couldn't have been written by any two-bit game composer. It's the second time an OST has made me want to play the game it was made for.

The first time being The Longest Journey:

I've been an OST aficionado for 20+ years, but the aging TLJ soundtrack is one I keep coming back to over and over again. It's an amazing blend of genres and forms a full tapestry of mystery, melancholy and drama. It really is like a full journey. I particularly like how it conjures a sense of a layered world full of buried secrets.

On 12/21/2017 at 2:47 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Speak for yourself -_- this was probably my all time favourite movie as a child born mid nineties. The Wheelers! Mombi’s heads! Tick Tock! 

Oh now I need to go watch it again.

TV-wise, I really loved Abel Korzeniowski’s work on Penny Dreadful. The whole production on that show was great but his score really matched the tone and atmosphere of the show so well. Whether it was the creepy moors or the opulence of Dorian’s mansion, the rugged West or the grimy streets of London he had a track to match it. Sample;

Just wanted to add that I'm totally with you on this one. I've listened to PD a lot lately, as well, and Joan Clayton is a standout piece for me too, but I suspect that that's mainly the case when you've watched the harrowing scene that the piece is made for.

1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

Just wanted to add that I'm totally with you on this one. I've listened to PD a lot lately, as well, and Joan Clayton is a standout piece for me too, but I suspect that that's mainly the case when you've watched the harrowing scene that the piece is made for.

The soundtrack always brings to mind the scenes it is paired with so I unashamedly got a bit tear-y when first listening to “Let it End”...

22 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The soundtrack always brings to mind the scenes it is paired with so I unashamedly got a bit tear-y when first listening to “Let it End”...

Heh, never seen PD, but certain parts from season 2 and 3 of the score to Buffy can make me weep like a baby if I'm having a bad day.

Archived