Soundtracks for Movies/TV Shows/Video Games

Corvinus85

"All my life I've lived alone. Many times I faced my death with no one else to know.  I would look into the huts and the tents of others in the coldest dark and I would see figures holding each other in the night, but I always passed by...You and I, we have warmth. That's so hard to find in this world. Please, let someone else pass by in the night. Let us take the world by the throat and make it give us what we desire." 

It's a testament to how good Basil P.'s score for Conan The Barbarian is (the 1981 origional that Darth Richard refers to, not the so-so current one) that I'm able to quote verbatim  from one of my favorite scenes in a film I haven't watched in its entirety 6 or 7 yrs. God, this scene made me cry. John Milius's script was so wonderfully epic in its pulpiness, but then little gems of scenes like this one just fall out of nowhere. It was this scene that made me fall in love with the film, that it was more than a faithful Robert E. Howard adaptation. The music accompanying Valeria's plea to Conan is GORGEOUS and the montage of Conan leaving her afterwards is epic. That's just one minor scene. In fact the whole film is, as one critic put it, "a small gem," I can't name the cues but I can hear them now. This used to be a movie I could quote like SW films. I first discovered it when I was a kid b/c I used to have a fit when my uncle allowed my then grade-school cousin to watch it, edited love scenes, gory beheadings and all.:) (But I wasn't much older and a girl at that?:) 

"..Valor pleases You, Crom, so grant me one request: grant me REVENGE! And if You do not listen, then the hell with You!"   Stop me before I quote this entire speech too...

OK, here I go...should we change this thread to "favorite film scenes" or "favorite weepies" or "favorite movie quotes" now? :)

So many great things to catch up to in this thread but the poster who recommended Eastern Promises for bathing music.  Ah yes.  Viggo Mortensen fighting in the bathhouse wearing his Name Day Suit. I'll stop right there. I just got back from nearly a week out of town where I was subjected to the indignity of the News on TV nearly every day. Against my will and wishes. The world is going to hell in a chariot but this image is the perfect ancidote for that. Before Kit, there was Viggo.. Heck, there still is Viggo--he still looks great for his age. Dayum.. 

I have to catch up to this thread but I'll leave it at that. G'night ya'll, and keep warm!

(oh and thanks Ran for that film title!)

James Newton Howard had some great scores for Shyamalan's otherwise bad movies, Lady in the Water and the Village. 

Some other soundtracks that I recall liking are Danny Elfman's Nightmare before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland, the Candyman by Philip Glass, the Jaws theme, Harry Potter and Schindler's List by John Williams. 

Bernard Herrmann's scores for Psycho and Vertigo are also some of my favorites. 

5 hours ago, Hello World said:

James Newton Howard had some great scores for Shyamalan's otherwise bad movies, Lady in the Water and the Village. 

JNH's lot in life seems to be making dark, layered and potent scores for absolutely garbage movies. Otherwise he'd be a household name by now. I like Lady In The Water and The Village, but I'd also add Unbreakable and especially the really, really excellent Snow Falling On Cedars OST to his best.

However!

I notice that the thread has taken a kinda dark turn here. Let's also remember to celebrate the balls-to-the-wall silly and fun action soundtracks. Two highlights of mine:

First up, of course, is "Morgan's Ride" from the Cutthroat Island OST. This is the swashbuckling action cue (and OST) to end them all. Forget Pirates of the Caribbean, this is the track that just builds and builds and swashes every buckle there is.

"Morgan's Ride" (4:41)

Secondly, from the world of animation movie OSTs, I've always adored the music to Chicken Run. The standout piece for me is the frantic "Building the Crate", but the entire soundtrack is just fantastic.

"Building the Crate" (3:22)

I've listened to both The Village and The Lady in the Water a lot these last couple of days. They make great 'background music'. Thanks for the rec. I'll continue working though the composer's back catalogue. 

It was a glorious day when I discovered the Dune soundtrack sitting in a used CD bin years ago. Toto and Brian Eno's work on that one always gets me. 

I was just about to mention the Suspiria theme! That and the piece for Profound Rosso/ Deep Red. Creepy and delightful. 

For the Marvel movies, I do agree that Alan Silvestri's work for Captain America and the Avengers is great. I have both of these. I haven't paid much attention to the other soundtracks. I think the first Thor one had a few memorable bits, but most of the others seems so personality-free to me. Switching universes, I recall some movie reviewers mentioning how Wonder Woman's theme was actually recognizable and different from other superhero stuff. Like it or not, it stood out. 

I saw Trevor Jones mentioned- he became one of my favorites at an early age for his soundtrack to Dark Crystal. I believe he also did stuff for Dark City and From Hell. 

For anime soundtracks, I love Yuki Kajiura's work. She tends to use a lot of dramatic female vocals, but if that's your bag, you'll love her stuff. Yoko Kanno is great, too. I've heard some people accuse her of the "borrowing" aspect of composition as well, but she still comes off as very prolific. One of the only times I was disappointed by one of her soundtracks (Wolf's Rain) was when the CDs omitted a few particularly good tracks from the show.

I agree that Yasunori Mitsuda is awesome. 

I also miss buying soundtrack albums. I realize I probably bought the Crow album and sold it only to buy it used again used later three separate times :D I think the Batman Forever album also traipsed through my music collection this way.

On a side note, sometimes I go through iTunes' collection of "epic music composers" looking for some gems. While the idea of composing for a film that doesn't exist is interesting,  I admit, a lot of them are very same-y sounding for me. I know trailer music is its own genre these days. Anyone have any favorites from these? 

Ok time for some quick top 5s for 2017 soundtracks.

Among the new films I've seen:

1. Thor Ragnarok
  2. Star Wars The Last Jedi
  3. Wonder Woman
  4. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (the highlight of the movie, really)
  5. Blade Runner 2049

Among the TV shows I've seen:

1. Outlander season 3
  2. Games of Thrones season 7
  3. Stranger Things 2
  4. Black Sails final season
  5. Dark season 1

On 1/1/2018 at 5:33 PM, Corvinus said:

1. Thor Ragnarok
  3. Wonder Woman
  5. Blade Runner 2049

Among the TV shows I've seen:

1. Outlander season 3
  2. Games of Thrones season 7
  3. Stranger Things 2
  4. Black Sails final season
  5. Dark season 1

Oh, the new Thor was really great, plus the composer actually worked in both themes from the previous Thors, Dr Strange, The Avengers, and I think some others. Nice to see a Marvel soundtrack acknowledge that the other scores exist.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:33 PM, Corvinus said:

1. Thor Ragnarok
  3. Wonder Woman
  5. Blade Runner 2049

You liked Blade Runner's that much? I'm biased because I think the original's score is among the all time top 5 classics (along with Conan, btw), and I found this one to be impossibly dull without anything memorable at all.

Archived