What happens after death?

Varysblackfyre321

There is good evidence to support the views of there being an afterlife and there not in ASoIaF. For Beric, he claims that every time he is resurrected, he feels more and more hollow, and Thoros claims resurrecting him is more difficult every time he dies. The reason for this may be that every time he dies a little bit more of his soul goes to some heaven and cannot be retrieved back by Thoros. However it may also be that when Beric dies, more of his brain deteriorates. However, I lean towards the view that there is a heaven in the world of ASoIaF. This is shown with Lady Stoneheart. After being dead for days, she is resurrected by Beric and is a ghost of who she used to be. All of her loving characteristics are gone and she is now just full of hate. This can be because when she died, almost all of her good qualities went away into her heaven, and her bad qualities were left to rot. Dondarrion also freely gives his life to Lady Stoneheart. This may because he has a longing that he cannot control to leave his hollow life and go to heaven, which he has seen and he will have all of his good qualities back. If Jon is resurrected, I do not believe that he will have seen any of this. His soul is transferred to Ghost upon death and he never really died for his soul to go to heaven. However, when Varamyr was dying he said that you mix into the wolf and become more wolf, so I think Jon may not be the man he was upon his resurrection (if that even happens). Another view is that when dying, a persons soul can be transferred into the weirwood network, and become part of the entire network and be able to see similar to the way that Bloodraven and Bran can. This is supported by the Children of the forest. I don’t think that the weirwood can absorb a soul unless the dying person is near the weirwood, so although that idea seems very likely, that type of after life will no happen to everyone.

Archived