Wiki Errors

belladeuil

1 minute ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

@Ran I was wondering if Lyonel Bentley's name might not have a typo and he was actually a member of House Bettley instead.

I don't think so. We asked the same if I remember rightly, and George didn't change it. He wanted to add more family names, I think. I still don't know if he has heraldry notes for all the new families he's introduced over the course of the novels, as he had way back when he first sent them to us. Mean to ask when the opportunity presents itself.

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

I don't think so. We asked the same if I remember rightly, and George didn't change it. He wanted to add more family names, I think. I still don't know if he has heraldry notes for all the new families he's introduced over the course of the novels, as he had way back when he first sent them to us. Mean to ask when the opportunity presents itself.

There is a growing number of Houses we know hardly anything (heraldry, the region they are from, ...). If given the occassion, it would be nice to clarify those information because in the wiki we have tendance to create a minor House everytime some random Westerosi knight has a surname.

The recent casting of Criston Cole for House of the Dragon has shed some light on the situation as George himself presents the character as being common-born and not a minor noble as we previously thought. I know book canon and show canon are two different things but if the information comes from George, it adds some considerable weight for it to be true in the books as well.

7 minutes ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

The recent casting of Criston Cole for House of the Dragon has shed some light on the situation as George himself presents the character as being common-born and not a minor noble as we previously thought. I know book canon and show canon are two different things but if the information comes from George, it adds some considerable weight for it to be true in the books as well.

It's also repeated in the press release that Variety, et al. put out, so it's unclear at this time whether it reflects George revealing that detail for the book character or whether it's just part of what the show has done and he was echoing it.

It'd be something to ask him about.

In Prince Daemon's wiki ( Rhaenyra's husband just to clarify), it's stated that he wed Lady Rhea Royce in 95 AC. First off, since Daemon was born in 81 AC, he'd have to be 14. Second, FaB states that he married Lady Rhea in 97 AC. Please make 97 AC. Also, when you click on the Greens picture https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:The_greens_by_naomimakesart.jpg it says that one of the people in there is Lady Baela Targaryen. 

Edited by Jaenara Belarys

• 2 weeks later...

The entry on Alicent Hightower claims that Otto was the brother Lord Ormund Hightower when in fact he was his uncle. We do not know the name of Otto's elder brother who was Lord of Oldtown before Ormund.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So I have the first edition of F&B so I don't know if anything would be corrected, but the wiki cites that at the age of 12 in 105, Laena was proposed as a bride for Viserys. But if we do the math, she'd be 14 at that point and already betrothed (from the age of 12) to the Sealord's son. Would this be an issue we'd follow the text of the book, even if the book's math is incorrect, or should it be corrected?

I'm thinking the best way to address it is to go to a more neutral version like "At 12, Laena was betrothed to the Sealord's son. However, she was later considered in 105 as a potential match for King Viserys." without mentioning her age in 105.

This is also the second time I've caught a math issue on my re-read of F&B. It calls Vaegon 40 in 101, but he was 38 at that point.

6 hours ago, StarksInTheNorth said:

So I have the first edition of F&B so I don't know if anything would be corrected, but the wiki cites that at the age of 12 in 105, Laena was proposed as a bride for Viserys. But if we do the math, she'd be 14 at that point and already betrothed (from the age of 12) to the Sealord's son.

Laena's date of birth was changed from 93 AC to 92 AC. Since she was born late in the year, she could have been 12 at the time the proposal took place, though. Same with the betrothal to the Sealord's son.

7 hours ago, StarksInTheNorth said:

This is also the second time I've caught a math issue on my re-read of F&B. It calls Vaegon 40 in 101, but he was 38 at that point.

I think this one has been corrected.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not an error as such, but I think thanks to FaB we can pin down Visenya Targaryen's year of birth to 29 BC since Gyldayn makes it clear Visenya was two years older than Aegon:

Aegon the Conqueror had been the first Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, not his sister Visenya, two years his elder.

• 2 weeks later...

In the page on the Battle of the Blackwater, it says that Tywin "Having learned of Stannis' approaching attack on King's Landing and the alliance between then Iron Throne and House Lannister, Lord Tywin Lannister has marched his host south."

Shouldn't this be House Tyrell, instead of House Lannister?

15 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

In the page on the Battle of the Blackwater, it says that Tywin "Having learned of Stannis' approaching attack on King's Landing and the alliance between then Iron Throne and House Lannister, Lord Tywin Lannister has marched his host south."

Shouldn't this be House Tyrell, instead of House Lannister?

Yes it should, i made the change to the page.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

@Ran

Something's a bit wonky on Lynara Stark's page.

I think somebody might have mixed up her year of birth and year of death.

Born In or before 167 AC[1]
Died In or after 140 AC[1]

Going by those dates she would've been -27-x years old at the time of her death. 

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I think somebody might have mixed up her year of birth and year of death.

While you stumbled upon one of the most useless wiki calculations, it's not wrong, though. All we can say is that she must have been born by 167 AC (I assume she was born in the early 130ies, but based on the calculation guidelines there is no way to prove it) and died after 140 AC (maybe she has lived up to the events of the She-Wolves) 

She can't have died before she was born. AC (after Aegon's Conquest). So if the calculation assumes she died in or after 140 AC, that could also just be her earliest year of birth. Conversely if you give the year of 167 AC as a possible birth year, then claiming she died as early as 140 also doesn't make sense.

35 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

She can't have died before she was born.

Sure, but that's not what the calculation says. All we know about her is that she lived in the second century after the Conquest. She can't have been born after 167 AC, but she could have been born as early as 100 AC. And she can't have died before 140 AC, but she could have lived until 220 AC or an even later point. So of course her date of birth defines the date of her death. If she had been born in 120 AC, she could have died in 140 AC. If she had been born in 160 AC, she would have died around 180 AC as the earliest option.

• 2 weeks later...

@Rhaenys_Targaryen

In House Targaryen’s wiki page, Jaehaerys I Targaryen’s children's birth order is wrong.

In Jason Mallister’s page it says: “When Robb returns to Riverrun from the westerlands, Jason is cool but courteous toward Catelyn, who released Robb’s captive, Ser Jaime Lannister, without the king’s permission. toward is one of the seven nobles who are chosen to launch the funeral boat of Lord Hoster Tully at Riverrun."

It should be: Jason is one of the seven nobles who are chosen to launch the funeral boat of Lord Hoster Tully at Riverrun.

In House Lannister’s page it says that Ella Lannister is a cousin of an unknown branch and that Loreon I Lannister had at least three sons, but in Ella’s page it says that she’s a Lannister of Lannisport and in Loreon I’s page it says that he had at least four sons, not three.

In Alys Karstark’s page (Brandon Stark’s wife) it says: “Lady Alys Karstark was a member of House Karstark, she married Lord Brandon Stark, youngest son Lord Cregan Stark, together they had three children: Rodwell, Beron and Arsa Stark."

Shouldn’t it be: Lady Alys Karstark was a member of House Karstark . She married Lord Brandon Stark, youngest son of Lord Cregan Stark . Together they had three children: Rodwell, Beron and Arsa Stark.