Biggest Army ever assembled

UFT

19 minutes ago, Scorpion92 said:

I believe Rhoynish army of 250,000 or Sarnori army that fought Dothrakis. Not sure.

Renly’s was big, and I also think combined Gardener and Lannister army that faced Targaryens was pretty huge as well.

Yeah Rhoynish army that lost the war on Valyria should be the biggest.

Side note: is there any estimations on the size of the Night Kings army?

Even the Rhoynish army displays Martin's disconnect between reality and mobilization rates. Because he points out that to raise his 250k men, Garen gathered almost every able bodied Rhoynish male. Which does not make sense, considering the age and level of development of the Rhoynish civilization. The way their cities are described they seem to have had multiple cities of King's Landing and Oldtown size or larger. Meaning millions of city dwellers alone. And we know that city dwellers will be less than 10% of the total population.

So there is simply no way that Garen's 250k men could have been more than a fraction - maybe 2-3% - of the overall Rhoynish population.

Martin tries to use this to explain why Nymeria did not have many able bodied male warriors with her when she fled. But the logic breaks down when you start analyzing it for a moment.

7 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Martin tries to use this to explain why Nymeria did not have many able bodied male warriors with her when she fled. But the logic breaks down when you start analyzing it for a moment.

That's why I tend to just take textual evidence rather than real world comparisson. George didn't consider stuff like this when writing the series' numbers so analysing it tends to just get confusing. IMO, there's much more to analyse that's far more worthy of our time.

P.S Don't mean we can't analyse numbers, just that we can't look too deeply into what percent of the population they represent.

Archived