Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

Over the past couple of days, I watched Trouble with the Curve, the film Clint Eastwood came out of retirement for as an actor after his supposed final goodbye in Gran Torino. It was also the first film since 'In the Line of Fire' he starred in without directing the movie in question. I don't know what kind of dirt the makers of this film had on Clint, but it must have been some grade A smut. Although, seeing how he was talking to empty chairs around the time this was released, perhaps he was just temporarily insane and the makers of this film took advantage of that?

Anyway, back to the movie itself. It was just bizarre. The director is a long-time collaborator of Clint, so the film feels like an Eastwood picture but damn is it terrible. I enjoyed most of it, because I'm a sucker for that Clint Eastwood vibe, but even I could see how poorly done this was. Particularly the ending, which is just stupid, plain and simple. I actually felt like it was almost in the 'so-bad-that-it's-good-territory.' I certainly laughed during the ending, because it was better than crying (it really is that bad). I suppose it could be worse though, I don't know a thing about baseball, but looking at the movie's IMDB page they sometimes even got the baseball wrong in this, so for a true baseball enthusiast watching this might feel like actual torture. 

The positives are clearly Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams. Both of them are great, eventhough it becomes clear by the end that their parts are very much underwritten. However, you can accept that for a while. Clint is a legend and Amy Adams looks absolutely stunning, so at least the film has that going for it. John Goodman is good in his tiny supporting role and the kid who plays Bo Gentry is funny in a horrible acting kind of way. Justin Timberlake though, what a stinker. I actually like his music and I really want to give him a fair shot as an actor but every time he's on screen in this one he just grates. A bit like someone running their fingernails all over a blackboard. Of course, the material didn't help either. I have to give him that much. I dare anyone to watch the scene in which his character is introduced, be warned though, you might want to stab yourselves in the eyes afterwards so make sure that there is someone there to stop you  from doing that.

In general, I had quite a positive appraisal of the film right until the ending. I said to myself, 'you know Velti old chap, this might not be the best movie you have ever seen, in fact many people would probably say it errs towards the wrong side of the good/bad film divide, but it's a Clint Eastwood picture damn it and that buys it a lot of credit. If Justin Timberlake's character was surgically removed from the film, you might even be able to like it without feeling ashamed.' but then it got worse just around the time when 

Spoiler

the characters found out that the toxic relationship between Clint and Amy Adams was due to the fact that she was groped by a pedo when she was six and Eastwood beat the shit out of that guy and that's the end of the story basically... Just a very weak plot twist and it was handled so very, very cheap.

After that of course it got worse, with them discovering the magical Mexican (totally called that the first time the character was introduced) and proving the suits wrong, that baseball isn't just about software and statistics, but that a good ear trumps all of that :bs:I could go on talking about how horrible that ending is, but I'll refrain myself. I have already been to verbose I feel.

So a TL:DR for anyone who is interested in this movie, repent now and don't watch it. Use the time for something more useful, like (re)watching Gran Torino.

6 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

No, I don't mean soulless as in, the future is grim. I mean soulless as in, I felt absolutely nothing while watching it.

Oh, that's a shame. As someone who has gone on record saying that the original Blade Runner is a shit film (apart from the visuals, which have of course been very influential), I felt like this was one of the most brilliant sequels ever made. It improved on the original in every single way and the emotional resonance was something I found in this film that was absent from the previous one :) 

Spoiler

Sometimes that emotional resonance came at surprising moments though. It's easy enough to feel something at the end when K dies, but I was also overpowered by some of the fight scenes. The scenes with Bautista come to mind, but especially that final fight between K and Luv... God, that was powerful. The waves drowning everything out, that kiss she impressed on him and all the 'let's find out who the best angel' stuff just struck a cord for some reason :) 

But different people, different strokes I guess ;) 

Saw The Shape of Water last night and it was a fabulous blending of genres. Amelie meets Creature from the Black Lagoon, kinda. Plot and pacing was a bit meh, but the performances and overall tone were just magnificent. Richard Jenkins and Sallie Hawkins especially nailed it.

15 hours ago, Mexal said:

Loved this show. Cannot wait for season 2.

Agreed. That was an outstanding season finale.

I played on baseball teams from the age of 7 through High School and am a fan to this day and didnt find "Trouble with the Curve" to be anything approaching nails on a chalkboard.

It wasnt a classic movie, but it worked as a light hearted drama and the baseball lexicon didnt apare too awkward for me. I'd grade it a solid double, not a homer but not a strikeout either.

We're about to watch Travelers S2 ... it's a pretty dysfunctional show, but still entertaining.

Also... is anyone else watching Happy! in SyFy?... it might be the weirdest, most obscene thing I've ever watched, and I can't stop laughing... if you can get through the first episode, you might  --if you're twisted enough--dig it. 

52 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

We're about to watch Travelers S2 ... it's a pretty dysfunctional show, but still entertaining.

Also... is anyone else watching Happy! in SyFy?... it might be the weirdest, most obscene thing I've ever watched, and I can't stop laughing... if you can get through the first episode, you might  --if you're twisted enough--dig it. 

I'm watching Travelers now. Dysfunctional but entertaining is a good description.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

I'm watching Travelers now. Dysfunctional but entertaining is a good description.

Second 2 was a pretty good progression on the story.  Lots of blanks filled in.  And it has Enrico Colantoni and Amanda Tapping.  Both are used well.  "17 Minutes" is a great episode.

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Just looked up the IMDB synopsis. It kind of makes it sound like Wilfred, only with Christopher Meloni instead of Elijah Wood (now that's an upgrade!) and a talking horse instead of a talking anthropomorphic dog.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Second 2 was a pretty good progression on the story.  Lots of blanks filled in.  And it has Enrico Colantoni and Amanda Tapping.  Both are used well.  "17 Minutes" is a great episode.

That was the last episode I watched before bed last night. It was good, but so far 'Jacob' has been my favorite.

Saw Hell or High Water a couple days ago. Been meaning to watch it for some time. I enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges is perfect in that role. Ben Foster and Chris Pine were good as well. Thought the exchange between Pine and Bridges at the end was the best part.

Apparently Bright was good enough for Netflix that they are making a sequel.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/bright-sequel-netflix-1202651949/

The numbers for this film are simply shocking.

Netflix touted “Bright” as the highest-viewed original film ever on the service in its launch week and one of the biggest originals it has ever debuted. They also added that “Bright” is the No. 1 movie on Netflix in every country, with more international than domestic viewers.

Shitty tv pays

I had some episodes of Endeavour left on my DVR. I really do love this series. The mysteries can sometimes be a bit of a mess, but the actors, the 1960s Oxford setting and just the whole atmosphere of the thing are damn great. Definitely my favourite murder mystery on air now that George Gently is gone. Sad that I'll now have to wait until the fifth season comes along to check in on some of my favourite characters.

I might pick up the original Morse (Endeavour is a prequel) to quench my thirst. And to finally get some answers like:

Spoiler

Will Endeavour eventually hook up with Joan Thursday? I know he was single in the original Morse series, but damn I hope this series eventually gives Morse a few years of happiness with her. I know it's juvenile to ship them, but damn it they will they won't they is sort of enfuryating.

I watched Breathe with Garfield and Foy. Such powerful story, such a lackluster of a movie. Even brilliant cast could not have made up for such bad script and overall directing.

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I had some episodes of Endeavour left on my DVR. I really do love this series. The mysteries can sometimes be a bit of a mess, but the actors, the 1960s Oxford setting and just the whole atmosphere of the thing are damn great. Definitely my favourite murder mystery on air now that George Gently is gone. Sad that I'll now have to wait until the fifth season comes along to check in on some of my favourite characters.

I might pick up the original Morse (Endeavour is a prequel) to quench my thirst. And to finally get some answers like:

Hide contents

Will Endeavour eventually hook up with Joan Thursday? I know he was single in the original Morse series, but damn I hope this series eventually gives Morse a few years of happiness with her. I know it's juvenile to ship them, but damn it they will they won't they is sort of enfuryating.

YES. THIS SERIES IS THE BEST. I had it down as my favourite series I watched in 2017. As you say, the setting and atmosphere is so well done.

We watch a fair bit of Lewis (spin off from Morse, after Morse retires his side-kick takes over) as it's on telly all the time, seemingly. But I think we might go back and do a complete Morse rewatch right from the start. I struggle to recall anything about his personal life from the show actually. But it does feel like a l-o-n-g time since I've watched an episode of it.

23 minutes ago, Isis said:

YES. THIS SERIES IS THE BEST. I had it down as my favourite series I watched in 2017. As you say, the setting and atmosphere is so well done.

We watch a fair bit of Lewis (spin off from Morse, after Morse retires his side-kick takes over) as it's on telly all the time, seemingly. But I think we might go back and do a complete Morse rewatch right from the start. I struggle to recall anything about his personal life from the show actually. But it does feel like a l-o-n-g time since I've watched an episode of it.

Doing a rewatch of Morse at the moment. Still one of my all-time favourite shows. Sadly, like Morse, I think Veltigar is destined for disappointment on the romance front. An ex-fiancee from Oxford university days does turn up in one of the episodes though. She was referred to in one of the Endeavour episodes - something like 'an angel crossing the quadrangle' and she seems to have been the reason Morse didn't finish his degree.

I watched Brawl in Cell Block 99, with Vince Vaughn. It’s one of the most violent movies I’ve seen in a long time. It’s by the same director that did Bone Tomahawk (which also had some extreme brutality). Vaughn was great. His stature really makes him believable in a role like that. Some people might be put off but I really liked it. 

47 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I watched Brawl in Cell Block 99, with Vince Vaughn. It’s one of the most violent movies I’ve seen in a long time. It’s by the same director that did Bone Tomahawk (which also had some extreme brutality). Vaughn was great. His stature really makes him believable in a role like that. Some people might be put off but I really liked it. 

I chuckled when I saw the title of this and the picture of Vaughn on Itunes when it first came out, but then saw it getting really great reviews and got pretty intrigued. I'll have to check it. 

4 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

Doing a rewatch of Morse at the moment. Still one of my all-time favourite shows. Sadly, like Morse, I think Veltigar is destined for disappointment on the romance front. 

Don't jinx me dude, it's hard enough already :P 

4 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

An ex-fiancee from Oxford university days does turn up in one of the episodes though. She was referred to in one of the Endeavour episodes - something like 'an angel crossing the quadrangle' and she seems to have been the reason Morse didn't finish his degree.

That will be Susan probably, her mother featured in the penultimate episode of the fourth season if I'm not mistaken :)

On the romantic future of Morse

Spoiler

I know Morse is single in the original series, but I just hope Endeavour gives him a bit of happiness before we reach that point. Like, ideally he gets together with Joan, they live happy and then the series ends and then it's up to us to guess what happened in between the end of Endeavour and the start of Morse. Did she die like the wife of Lewis? Did they divorce? Something like that :) 

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Oh, I know Lewis. I think it's one of the better murder mysteries as well. And it's conveniently played a lot on the tele over here. I hope in a few years we get a Hathaway spin-off ;) 

I have never consciously seen an episode of Morse. Perhaps when I was a kid or something, but definitely not that I can firmly recall anything from it. That's why I think it would probably be a good idea to check it out one of these days :)

4 hours ago, Isis said:

YES. THIS SERIES IS THE BEST.

:cheers:

14 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Hide contents

Oh, I know Lewis. I think it's one of the better murder mysteries as well. And it's conveniently played a lot on the tele over here. I hope in a few years we get a Hathaway spin-off ;)

Isn't there one already? I am blanking on the name right now...

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Don't jinx me dude, it's hard enough already :P 

That will be Susan probably, her mother featured in the penultimate episode of the fourth season if I'm not mistaken :)

On the romantic future of Morse

Reveal hidden contents

I know Morse is single in the original series, but I just hope Endeavour gives him a bit of happiness before we reach that point. Like, ideally he gets together with Joan, they live happy and then the series ends and then it's up to us to guess what happened in between the end of Endeavour and the start of Morse. Did she die like the wife of Lewis? Did they divorce? Something like that :) 

I have never consciously seen an episode of Morse. Perhaps when I was a kid or something, but definitely not that I can firmly recall anything from it. That's why I think it would probably be a good idea to check it out one of these days :)

:cheers:

Sorry, I should have said disappointment on the TV romance front. :D Not a dude, btw

It was Susan, played by Joanna David in Morse. IRL, she's Hathaway's aunt (married to Edward Fox). I haven't seen the 4th season of Endeavour yet - something to look forward to.

I'm afraid I'm ancient enough to have seen Morse all the way through its TV run. On the plus side of being old, I generally forget all the twists and turns, which is good for rewatches.

Archived