Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

I watched Big Little Lies. I thought the basic plot wasn't anything special, but it was elevated by some great acting. As a murder mystery the conclusion felt both predictable and slightly random, I think the show could probably have been almost as good without the murder element, the scenes with Kidman and her therapist were much more tense than the police interviews. I think basically the whole cast did a good job here - Kidman/Dern/Witherspoon/Woodley and Sarsgard all did very well and even the child actors were good.

Just watched The X-Files premiere...god, what crap is this. Chris Carter should have retired from writing a long time ago. I had very low expectations after season 10 and seeing Carter was writing the premiere, and it still managed to be worse than I expected. 

Earlier today I had a good laugh looking at the Wikipedia page for the episode, where someone put under "Reception" (it's been removed now): "Pretty much everyone thinks this episode is terrible and Chris Carter is a wally". :D Sums it up pretty well.

14 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Just watched The X-Files premiere...god, what crap is this. Chris Carter should have retired from writing a long time ago. I had very low expectations after season 10 and seeing Carter was writing the premiere, and it still managed to be worse than I expected. 

Earlier today I had a good laugh looking at the Wikipedia page for the episode, where someone put under "Reception" (it's been removed now): "Pretty much everyone thinks this episode is terrible and Chris Carter is a wally". :D Sums it up pretty well.

The only episode I remember as being really good last year was the one where the monster turns into a human.  That episode was fucking hilarious.

24 minutes ago, briantw said:

The only episode I remember as being really good last year was the one where the monster turns into a human.  That episode was fucking hilarious.

That was a Darin Morgan episode. All the episodes written by Chris Carter were the worst last season, but in this episode he's outdone himself with rehashed conspiracies and stupid twists.

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I thought the X-Files return was awful. The new Twin Peaks wasn’t much better. These 90’s shows are better off being left back in the decade they belong. 

I enjoyed the Were-Monster episode, mostly because it was dumb as hell and really funny, but the rest was pretty bad.

On 04/01/2018 at 4:59 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

Apparently Bright was good enough for Netflix that they are making a sequel.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/bright-sequel-netflix-1202651949/

The numbers for this film are simply shocking.

Shitty tv pays

I enjoyed it as did A LOT of people on my news feed. Not surprising to me.

12 hours ago, williamjm said:

I watched Big Little Lies. I thought the basic plot wasn't anything special, but it was elevated by some great acting. As a murder mystery the conclusion felt both predictable and slightly random, I think the show could probably have been almost as good without the murder element, the scenes with Kidman and her therapist were much more tense than the police interviews. I think basically the whole cast did a good job here - Kidman/Dern/Witherspoon/Woodley and Sarsgard all did very well and even the child actors were good.

Sure it was green lit for a second season, which would hopefully focus on more of the stuff you liked (and I agree they were the best parts). I believe Kidman and Witherspoon were involving the author when looking for further stores to tell with these characters so it could be good

I have two episodes left of Netflix's The End of the Fucking World. This dark comedy has been very good so far. Only 8 twenty minute episodes, so very easy to binge. The main characters have grown on me. The first few episodes, they were a bit annoying, but they become very well fleshed out and sympathetic over the course of the series. Perhaps a millennial version of True Romance, but that may just be the kids' outfits. Plus, Yara is in it.

7 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I enjoyed it as did A LOT of people on my news feed. Not surprising to me.

Outside of your personal feed, the show was widely panned.  However, clearly being overwhelmingly disliked doesn't have much to do with number of people watching.  Netflix didn'tmention it as a well enjoyed show, merely that it was watched by  lot of people.

Finally decided to start The Expanse after hearing about it on here and other places. I was trying to wait for Amazon Prime to add S2 so I could binge the first couple seasons but it seems to be taking forever.  Halfway through S1 and I’m liking it so far. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Outside of your personal feed, the show was widely panned.  However, clearly being overwhelmingly disliked doesn't have much to do with number of people watching.  Netflix didn'tmention it as a well enjoyed show, merely that it was watched by  lot of people.

From what I've seen, the show got panned by critics but was mostly received positively by viewers.  I have yet to watch it, so I can't personally comment on quality, but it seems like an instance where critics and viewers pretty strongly disagreed.

24 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Finally decided to start The Expanse after hearing about it on here and other places. I was trying to wait for Amazon Prime to add S2 so I could binge the first couple seasons but it seems to be taking forever.  Halfway through S1 and I’m liking it so far. 

It's a great show. I bought the first couple eps of S2 on Prime ($2.99 per ep I think) and then Prime magically offered the rest of the season to me for $1. Needless to say I bought it. 

Who's the better brooder: Holden or Jon Snow?

8 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

It's a great show. I bought the first couple eps of S2 on Prime ($2.99 per ep I think) and then Prime magically offered the rest of the season to me for $1. Needless to say I bought it. 

Who's the better brooder: Holden or Jon Snow?

Ha he even looks a lot like Kit. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Ha he even looks a lot like Kit. 

I was thinking about why The Expanse, while a good show with a really good story, great worldbuilding and visuals, somehow has failed to completely grip me the way some other shows do. And the most obvious thing is that the actor playing Holden is a lot like Kit, in that he's pretty but not a very convincing actor and doesn't make me feel anything for the character, even though I should find the character relatable based on what's happening to him and what he's doing.

32 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I was thinking about why The Expanse, while a good show with a really good story, great worldbuilding and visuals, somehow has failed to completely grip me the way some other shows do. And the most obvious thing is that the actor playing Holden is a lot like Kit, in that he's pretty but not a very convincing actor and doesn't make me feel anything for the character, even though I should find the character relatable based on what's happening to him and what he's doing.

I really enjoy The Expanse but I agree that Holden is pretty bland and quite hard to really give a damn about. I actually think that most of the characters are poorly fleshed out and that while there are some great actors in the show, they so far, are not amongst the main crew ( Thomas Jane not withstanding)

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

By who? Critics or actual people? 

21 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

By who? Critics or actual people? 

I'm not sure how to answer this seeing as critics, certainly the two I know personally, are in fact actual people.

I'm sure you can google whatever it is you're trying to ask.  Your personal circle loved the movie.  The circle that exists here on the board hated it.  My circle hated it.  Looks like Rotten Tomatoes circle hated it, imdb, etc. And yet we all watched it, even when we knew it was bad.  That's all Netflix is concerned about, the number of people who watched.  It was simply surprising to me that so many watched despite it being panned.  Those of us who watched it and understood it to be bad also tended to say that the idea was really enticing, so there's that.  Maybe they'll do better the second time around.

Archived