Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

20 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Watched "Molly's Game" a while ago. Awesome movie and very Sorkin. Wait until you see the movie before you google the celebrities in the movie, as that is part of the fun. Going to see "The Post" soon.

About to watch Magicians, the Assassination of Gianni Versace: Crime Story, and the the Alienist. Which reminds me, I need to get my winter tv schedule in order. This is often the best time of year for TV these days.

Really loved Molly’s Game. Gripped me from start to finish (it helped that I didn’t know anything about the story going in) and I thought Chastain (and Elba) were fantastic. Thought it was a bit heavy on exposition (every flashback had to have narration too, and the film was primarily ‘flashback’) but overall a solid film.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Both are age appropriate.  In fact, by the time season three rolls the actor will be a several years older than their book counterparts.

In the books, wasn't Amos in his mid forties?  I believe he had been flying for around 25 years, and he was an adult when he left Baltimore in The Churn.  I always pictured him as a middle-aged, balding man.  I know the actor is almost forty, but he looks a lot younger than that, and Holden is just generally too baby-faced on the show for my liking.

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Gods I hope so.  I never understood his appeal as an actor because he fucking sucks and now listening to him trying to deny at least a handful of women...  He's toast.  

I like him when he does the group movies with his friends, but otherwise yeah, don't recall liking him in much else. Heard he's great in The Disaster Artist though. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I like him when he does the group movies with his friends, but otherwise yeah, don't recall liking him in much else. Heard he's great in The Disaster Artist though. 

I liked him on The Deuce as well.

I will say that one thing I've liked a lot about The Expanse is how they've worked in short stories like The Butcher of Anderson Station and Drive.  I imagine they'll continue to do that going forward, and it's a nice touch.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He was. The Duece is also really good too, although he’s not really the standout in that, Maggie Gyllenhaal is. 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

In the books, wasn't Amos in his mid forties?  I believe he had been flying for around 25 years, and he was an adult when he left Baltimore in The Churn.  I always pictured him as a middle-aged, balding man.  I know the actor is almost forty, but he looks a lot younger than that, and Holden is just generally too baby-faced on the show for my liking.

I thought he was mid-late 30s. It's been a long time since I read those early books, Persepolis Rising

and there was no mention of him being full on 75 in the latest book... if he was, that fight with early 50s Bobbie...

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

He's not the standout in it, but he's good in it.  

I wish the twins were a little more distinguishable, but yeah, overall he’s pretty good. Between The Duece and The Disaster Artist I had just recently commented on how good of a year he was having...

5 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I thought he was mid-late 30s. It's been a long time since I read those early books, Persepolis Rising

Reveal hidden contents

and there was no mention of him being full on 75 in the latest book... if he was, that fight with early 50s Bobbie...

I looked at the Expanse wiki and it said he'd been flying for about 25 years at the start of the first book.  I haven't gone back and checked myself, but I'm assuming the wiki (and this was for the book character) is accurate.  That would place him in his early forties at minimum, and that's assuming Amos is only around eighteen in The Churn.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I looked at the Expanse wiki and it said he'd been flying for about 25 years at the start of the first book.  I haven't gone back and checked myself, but I'm assuming the wiki (and this was for the book character) is accurate.  That would place him in his early forties at minimum, and that's assuming Amos is only around eighteen in The Churn.

I don't think he was that old in The Churn.  In that I thought of him like Michael in The Wire.  Kids grow up quick in the game.

I watched Black Sails S4 because I am cursed with a compulsion to complete things.  It had all of the good points and bad points of prior seasons but the pompous, portentous monologues and soap opera of personal betrayals were more of a grind this time.  I’m glad they finally wrapped it up.  

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Forty to early forties for Amos in LW is about right. Amos was a teenager when he left Baltimore. While we don't get an age in The Churn, he is described as a boy on the verge of manhood. Holden is described as being in his early thirties in LW. 

Zipped through S2 of Dirk Gently. Mostly very pleasing. It did feel a little bit draggy in the early eps and then a bit rushed in the last two but that's a minor complaint. The most standout feature for me is that it can be absolutely hilarious in places. I don't often find series which are more than 'a little bit amusing' or occasionally funny but this show always has a few full on HAHAHA! moments which impresses me.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Zipped through S2 of Dirk Gently. Mostly very pleasing. It did feel a little bit draggy in the early eps and then a bit rushed in the last two but that's a minor complaint. The most standout feature for me is that it can be absolutely hilarious in places. I don't often find series which are more than 'a little bit amusing' or occasionally funny but this show always has a few full on HAHAHA! moments which impresses me.

Despite the horror aspects and deaths it manages a light tone, while never quite becoming a farce. Which is impressive.

1 hour ago, Seli said:

Despite the horror aspects and deaths it manages a light tone, while never quite becoming a farce. Which is impressive.

Yes it balances the gore and violence with the off-the-wall humour and the fantastical subjects. I recall it took me a while to get into the rhythm of it when I started S1 because there's nothing else quite like it, but it definitely works for me.

I watched Bright and, overall, enjoyed it. It reminded me a bit too much of Alien Nation and the actress playing Tikka seemed to be doing her best Leeloo impression at times. I dug Noomi Rapace's Leilah and the Inferni.  I was a bit more interested in the background and history of the world. There could have been a  much more interesting story to tell in that setting, but I was still entertained by the film.

Archived