Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

I just came back from the cinema, where I have watched Star Wars Episode 8 and Russian movie Kolovrat (I think it is released as "Furious" in States). The Russian movie is done in "300" fashion, with great costumes and wonderful scenery. Episode 8 was such disappointment. 

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched It Comes At Night. Misleading title, and bad marketing aside, I really liked it. The ending was super tense. 

Yeah, the trailer was incredibly done and very misleading and I couldn't get by all that. I would've liked it way more if I just randomly came across it on a movie channel and never heard of it. I'll give it another go down the line. 

I was channel surfing and came across Steven Seagall's Out of Justice. It's been years since I last saw it and I always remembered it as one of the bettter Seagal pictures, but surprisingly enough it's actually even better than I remember. Seagal might be very limited as an actor, but if he puts some effort into it and has some luck he can be quite enjoyable to see. This also has quite a poignant speech on the value of work, which is odd to see in this kind of movie.

Saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri not a bad film but rather disappointing, coming in as a fan of the McDonagh's previous films and plays and seeing the critical reception I was expecting a rather more funnier film but once I got used to the path that it was taking it still fell a bit short.

It's carried by the performances of McDormand and Rockwell but the story behind them and the world all seem a bit half baked or cut down with several scenes that broke my suspension of disbelief and another than in retrospect makes very little sense.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Against my better judgment I watched the Guy Ritchie King Arthur. It was as bad as I expected. I saw the actress I really liked in the Black Mirror episode ‘Hang the DJ’ was in it when I looked her up, but she had like one line. Lame. 

Guy Ritchie had an M. Night style fall from grace.  Two good movies followed by a mountain of dog shit.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Guy Ritchie had an M. Night style fall from grace.  Two good movies followed by a mountain of dog shit.

I liked RocknRolla, but yeah, he’s never matched the quality of Lock, Stock & Snatch. I thought Split was pretty good as far as M. Night goes, so maybe there’s still hope for Ritchie. 

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I liked RocknRolla, but yeah, he’s never matched the quality of Lock, Stock & Snatch. I thought Split was pretty good as far as M. Night goes, so maybe there’s still hope for Ritchie. 

I thought Split was pretty terrible until, ironically, the twist ending where they tied it to Unbreakable.  I say ironically because basically all of M. Night's twists after Unbreakable were just so horrible and/or obvious.  

But at least Ritchie never made a movie anywhere near as godawful as The Happening.  

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

I thought Split was pretty terrible until, ironically, the twist ending where they tied it to Unbreakable.  I say ironically because basically all of M. Night's twists after Unbreakable were just so horrible and/or obvious.  

But at least Ritchie never made a movie anywhere near as godawful as The Happening.  

You’ve obviously never seen Swept Away. :P

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I was channel surfing and came across Steven Seagall's Out of Justice. It's been years since I last saw it and I always remembered it as one of the bettter Seagal pictures, but surprisingly enough it's actually even better than I remember. Seagal might be very limited as an actor, but if he puts some effort into it and has some luck he can be quite enjoyable to see. This also has quite a poignant speech on the value of work, which is odd to see in this kind of movie.

Seagal's first 4-5 movies are actually really solid action movie, with Marked for Death being the highlight IMO.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Seagal's first 4-5 movies are actually really solid action movie, with Marked for Death being the highlight IMO.

Ah yeah, now that I read the synopsis I remember that movie. It was pretty good as far as I remember. I think my favourite Seagal flick was The Glimmer Man though. It's been years since I saw any of his work, but he did have some good ones indeed :) 

23 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri not a bad film but rather disappointing, coming in as a fan of the McDonagh's previous films and plays and seeing the critical reception I was expecting a rather more funnier film but once I got used to the path that it was taking it still fell a bit short.

It's carried by the performances of McDormand and Rockwell but the story behind them and the world all seem a bit half baked or cut down with several scenes that broke my suspension of disbelief and another than in retrospect makes very little sense.

I liked the movie, but didn't think it was great. There were some really touching(if thats the right phrase) moments and some just absurd.

17 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Against my better judgment I watched the Guy Ritchie King Arthur. It was as bad as I expected. I saw the actress I really liked in the Black Mirror episode ‘Hang the DJ’ was in it when I looked her up, but she had like one line. Lame. 

As did I, and I regretted it. It was on DVR so I thought what the heck...whoops. I didn't like the style, tempo, acting, basically anything about it. I saw the previews at the movies and knew I would never pay to see it, but damn I did pay when i watched it!

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, Veltigar said:

I haven't watched a Segal movie in a long time. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way. I did like his first couple movies, probably Under Siege would be my favorite. Not long after that movie my disdain for him set in.

My other favorite was Executive Decision and only because of him dying so early in the movie that it was unexpected! I liked the movie just for killing him!

Just saw The End of the F¨¨¨¨cking world. Damn, that was a brilliant little series. It reminded me a bit of A Young Doctor's notebook and Utopia in its quirkiness. I can only echo the praise for it that has proliferated on this very thread for the last couple of pages. The actors are great, the story is simple but nice and it's really fun to watch. It's kind of perfect as it is, but I wouldn't mind watching more of it. I also really liked the format, it's about as long as your average sitcom episode, but it does more with the short time format in my opinion. The story never felt like it dragged, nor did it feel rushed. Simply put, it's definitely something I would recommend.

10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I haven't watched a Segal movie in a long time. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way. I did like his first couple movies, probably Under Siege would be my favorite. Not long after that movie my disdain for him set in.

I get what you mean about rubbing you the wrong way. Apparently he is a grade-A douche in real life, so at least he's deserving of your apathy of his filmography. He seems to have been quite an asshat on the set of Out of Justice, although I read a funny story about his turn on that film. Apparantly Seagal thought he was immune to loosing continious when choked because of his martial arts training. Supposedly, a stuntman put that to test and Seagal of course lost consciousness and actually shat himself while he was passed out :lol:

In general I think he's quite bad, but I can't help but like his better films. Under Siege was indeed a good one, I also liked On Deadly Ground and the one where he tried to get that Polish girl back from the people who abducted her (it was a weirdly Takenish movie, I forgot the title, but it's a later film, probably the only one worth seeing after the 2000s started). 

I probably saw Executive Decision, his films were on the tele a lot over here, but I can't for the life of me remember anything about it. 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I probably saw Executive Decision, his films were on the tele a lot over here, but I can't for the life of me remember anything about it. 

The plot involved a plane being hi jacked, also had Kurt Russel and Halle Barry(sp?)

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Just saw The End of the F¨¨¨¨cking world. Damn, that was a brilliant little series. It reminded me a bit of A Young Doctor's notebook and Utopia in its quirkiness. I can only echo the praise for it that has proliferated on this very thread for the last couple of pages. The actors are great, the story is simple but nice and it's really fun to watch. It's kind of perfect as it is, but I wouldn't mind watching more of it. I also really liked the format, it's about as long as your average sitcom episode, but it does more with the short time format in my opinion. The story never felt like it dragged, nor did it feel rushed. Simply put, it's definitely something I would recommend.

I just started this today after seeing so many positive reviews on here. It's wierdly fascinating. I haven't finished it yet and can't decide how much I like it.

On 1/9/2018 at 6:01 AM, Ramsay B. said:

Speaking of A24, I just finished The Killing of a Sacred Deer a few minutes ago and that is one fucked up movie. I avoided all spoilers and didn't know too much about the plot, besides seeing the trailer once or twice months ago, so I didn't know what to expect... and damn. It started out as like a weird black comedy and it just spirals into the madness that is the third act. 

The cast was really good, especially the performance by Barry Keoghan who outshines the likes of Kidman and Farrell. His portrayal of Martin is one of the most chilling I've seen in some time. I seriously want to know if he's normal in real life. 

It's a dark and bleak movie and I have to let it sink in for a bit but I'd recommend it.

I just watched the trailer for this and it definitely intrigues me. It was filmed in my hometown, too. 

Finished up season two of The Expanse.  Struggled to get into the show the first time I watched it despite being a fan of the books.  The first few episodes of season one are just really slow, I guess.  Once it gets going, it's great.  I wasn't even remotely bored during season two.  Just a great season from start to finish.  I need to re-read the books now, because I've forgotten a lot of the things that happen early in the series.

Still am not a huge fan of the guy that plays Holden, but the guy who plays Amos won me over.  He's not really what I pictured when I read the books, but he does a fine job.  

14 hours ago, dbunting said:

I just started this today after seeing so many positive reviews on here. It's wierdly fascinating. I haven't finished it yet and can't decide how much I like it.

I can imagine. It's just plain weird. I loved it though. I don't get to see that much television and film anymore, so I'm very glad that one of the things I did get to see was such a creative little outlier (thank God for the boards for recommending it). I also really liked the format. Short season, very short episodes and yet still not a story of the week kind of format. I think we need more experimentation with runtime on television, that would vastly elevate the standards of our TV-shows imo.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I can imagine. It's just plain weird. I loved it though. I don't get to see that much television and film anymore, so I'm very glad that one of the things I did get to see was such a creative little outlier (thank God for the boards for recommending it). I also really liked the format. Short season, very short episodes and yet still not a story of the week kind of format. I think we need more experimentation with runtime on television, that would vastly elevate the standards of our TV-shows imo.

FInished it today. I know I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the way they gave you the two leads feedback using internal thoughts to the same situations. That was a plus for me. Not sure about another season but I'd give it a try.

Spoiler

So I assume that we as viewers are supposed to decide on our own what happened with that last shot off screen? Did he kill himself or was he shot by the police?

Archived