Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

12 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I saw the first episode of Britannia. Based on that very small sample, I'd say it looks promising in a thrashy, yet enjoyable kind of way. My main take away so far is that I would definitely like to ask David Morresy how he does it, like does he use certain types of spices or does he have like a special technique, because he's chewing that scenery like a competitive eater at the world championship for hot dog eating.

Although I have to be honest, certain type of things also make me wary. I really, really hope that this series stays on the right side of the magic/no magic divide. I'm really tired of getting 'supposedly' historical settings where magic turns out to be a real thing just so that lazy writers can write themselves out of plot inconviniences just by saying it was all due to magic (I'm looking at you Vikings). I really hope that every supposedly magical incidence in Britannia will boil down to taking dope and using some neat tricks.  

Overall the action was nice. The series has also done a great job with costumes and scenery setting. The writing is of course pretty dumbed down in places (e.g. Morresey's general claiming that none of the Cetls were aware that the Romans were coming, eventhough in real life certainly the people in the south-west definitely had a lot of contact with the continent and should have known something big was coming)., but right now I can give it a pass because it's still interesting. I also really like the actors involved, they really have assembled a strong cast. The young girl was pretty good as well, so at the very least they also managed to cast a good child actress. 

Perhaps you should start your own sitcom ;) do us all a favour by making us laugh.

Hide contents

Peter: Proof at last Peter, proof at last.

Mother: What's wrong with him sister?

Nun: He's a priest like. 

:lmao:

The list of banned songs in the assembly and the utter disdain for the prefect girl are perfect.

There have been times where my life is such a comedy of errors I’ve almost though I’m in a sitcoms and listened out for a laughtrack :P 

i Don’t know if you watch it, but since it’s another comedy on Channel 4, you ought to try Catastrophe. Totally hilarious and again, episodes aren’t too lengthy. I wish each season was longer though

15 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I've gone back 4 or 5 pages but I don't see any mention of Counterpart. I just caught the first episode, and I see the second one is scheduled for January 28th. The premiere was first broadcast back on December 10.

It does look like it could be an interesting show, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any sign of a UK broadcaster for it at the moment.

Watching Counterpart...I liked how they made it a point to mention the tie that Simmons' doppelganger wears.  They pointed it out and so you notice it and it's easy to tell which Simmons is which.  Smart.

6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Gonna skip The Alienist for now due to the mixed reviews and instead gonna watch Soderbergh's new HBO mini-series Mosaic.It got a glowing review on AVCLUB.

What's it about? :) 

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

What's it about? :) 

All i know is that it's by Soderbergh,stars Sharon Stone and is a murder-mystery with unreliable narrator (s).:)

But here's the official synopsis:

Mosaic is a mystery thriller that takes place in Park City, Utah. Originally released as an interactive app, Mosaic allows the viewer to experience different portions of the story from the perspective of different characters in a non-linear fashion, providing a complex and unique narrative form. The story itself involves a murder mystery, coverups, conspiracies, high-end art, real estate, and the entangled interests of the wealthy Park City elite.

Castaway is on and Jace needed a break from news while crushing it.

I've actually been wanting to watch it for a couple of weeks, y'know, lamenting that I didn't take the Google account in the divorce :P

Anyways, I haven't seen it in at least a decade and I forgot that he made all kinds of weird Idols in addition to Wilson.

Totally forgot about the dead guy part too. Tom Hanks is a beast.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I guess I just have to accept that the Blade Runner movies aren't for me. Tried watching both of them multiple times, albeit at night after having a few beers, and fell asleep each time. Oh well, can't win them all. 

They’re pretty cerebral films. I recommend trying again without the beers. 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I guess I just have to accept that the Blade Runner movies aren't for me. Tried watching both of them multiple times, albeit at night after having a few beers, and fell asleep each time. Oh well, can't win them all. 

I'm with you on this. I just can't get into them like other people. They have the elements I would normally like in a movie, Sci Fi, action, violence and yet it just doesn't hook me.

I am currently watching Peaky Blinders, just started Season 4. Decent show, feels like a mix of Sons of Anarchy and insert random gang movie name here.

Spoiler

I am tired of seeing the blow of flames at the factories  and the "someone walking toward the camera while music plays" scene every damn episode!

I am just a couple episodes into where Adrien Brody is playing what I see as a horrible impression of Marlon Brando's Godfather role.

I like that they finally killed off one of the brothers, it was well overdue.

I do like the scenery, family ties and that this is in the 1920's time frame.

Recently I've seen The Post which was very good and, probably not coincidentally, very on point for current events and Atomic Blonde which was a bit of a disappointment, a bit too much style over substance. It was also a bit confusing.

Spoiler

She's a triple agent who's infiltrated MI6 for the CIA in order to betray them to the KGB to achieve what exactly?

I've also been watching Band of Brothers again over the last couple of weeks. It's still excellent.

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

They’re pretty cerebral films. I recommend trying again without the beers. 

Might have been more than just a few beers on some occasions…

14 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah, replace the beer with weed and try again.  :lol:

There may or may not have been that too...

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Alcohol and movies do not mix. It is known.

:spank::spank::spank:

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

I'm with you on this. I just can't get into them like other people. They have the elements I would normally like in a movie, Sci Fi, action, violence and yet it just doesn't hook me.

Yeah I feel the same. These are movies I should like, but they just kind of bore me. 

Watched all of Grace and Frankie season 4 over the weekend.  It makes me laugh out loud.  A whole lot.  Fonda and Tomlin are national treasures. The actor who plays Grace's daughter Brianna is incredible.  I love her, Brianna that is.  The entire ensemble is wonderful thing to witness.

I also watched all three of the Godfathers last week (my brain was so blasted by exhaustion and the weather it really couldn't handle much except that sleeping and making tortilla soup). 

Except for the central Cuban arc of Godfather II this founding myth of film trilogy of Italians in the USA doesn't hold up so well, imo

Godfather I would be the weakest, except that Godfather III has Sophia Coppola and she's just horrible to watch, though evidently the camera -- or the director -- can't get enough of her.  That mouth!  Other than that I actually really like Godfather III since it's an opera.

My opinions only, of course.  I'm not going to the mat over any of them.  :cheers:

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

There may or may not have been that too...

I finally got a new weed supplier (used to get it via the girlfriend's roommate, but we broke up and my old guy moved away), so I'm looking very forward to getting super high and not knowing wtf is going on in the movies I watch.  :lol:

Archived