Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

I’ve been watching a lot of movies lately. I saw Mother! last week. It’s a very hit or miss movie, but I personally loved it. It’s a bit of a heavy handed allegory, but it’s beautifully shot and it’s quite compelling, assuming you can forgive the slow pacing. I watched IT and Gerald’s Game over the weekend. IT was good, but not as scary as the original (granted I saw the original when I was 8 and it’s only one of a few movies that truly scared me). The cinematography is breath taking and the character development is pretty strong. Definitely worth a watch. Gerald’s Game is a Netflix movie that is incredibly claustrophobic. It’s a psych thriller with a tiny set and very few characters. It’s not for everyone, but if that’s your thing you should absolutely check it out. Lastly, and I’m a little ashamed to admit this, but I watched Tremors 4 last night. It was terrible, and yet I still enjoyed it because I like the franchise. Definitely one of those big dumb monster movies that’s so bad it’s kind of good.

Finally got around to Baby Driver. My God, what a gem of a film that was. I thought it began a bit slow (storywise that is, the car chase was awesome), but near the end it had me completely on board. Great performances (I know everyone rightly praises Jaimie Fox, but damn Jon Hamm was also on point), nice story and just the sheer brilliance of the film maker shining through. This film just flows perfectly in sync with all the music it throws at us, which is something I don't think I have ever seen before. Definitely one of the best films of last year, I'm sure displeased with myself for not having seen it in theatres. 

Just now, Veltigar said:

Finally got around to Baby Driver. My God, what a gem of a film that was. I thought it began a bit slow (storywise that is, the car chase was awesome), but near the end it had me completely on board. Great performances (I know everyone rightly praises Jaimie Fox, but damn Jon Hamm was also on point), nice story and just the sheer brilliance of the film maker shining through. This film just flows perfectly in sync with all the music it throws at us, which is something I don't think I have ever seen before. Definitely one of the best films of last year, I'm sure displeased with myself for not having seen it in theatres. 

I loved that one as well. I was surprised it wasn’t better received in the thread we had for it here. There was a lot “it was just ok” opinions iirc. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I loved that one as well. I was surprised it wasn’t better received in the thread we had for it here. There was a lot “it was just ok” opinions iirc. 

They have no taste. Baby Driver is awesome.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I get the complaints with it.  The dialogue isn't great and there's not a whole lot of story.

BUT

Holy shit the cinematography, editing, music, and choreography are all incredible.  It's just a masterfully made film, and it must have been an absolute bitch to choreograph too.  I basically loved every minute of it.  Wasn't a huge fan of how it ended, but everything else was fantastic.

If anyone needs a giggle, I recommend Norsemen on Netflix.  

It's really brilliant.  Imagine David Brent as a viking.

It's a Norwegian show with Norwegian actors, but they film every scene twice...once in Norwegian, and the second in English.  So no dubbing and no subtitles.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve been watching a lot of movies lately. I saw Mother! last week. It’s a very hit or miss movie, but I personally loved it. It’s a bit of a heavy handed allegory, but it’s beautifully shot and it’s quite compelling, assuming you can forgive the slow pacing. 

I agree about the slow pacing. I started getting fidgety and playing around with my phone in the beginning causing me to miss some pretty obvious things. But overall I liked it. It's one of those movies that you'll notice a bunch of new stuff with each viewing.

I can also see why it was so polarizing with people as it was advertised as a horror movie, and it is definitely not a horror movie in the traditional sense at all (But it is Aronofsky so people should have expected some weird-ass shit).

51 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I agree about the slow pacing. I started getting fidgety and playing around with my phone in the beginning causing me to miss some pretty obvious things. But overall I liked it. It's one of those movies that you'll notice a bunch of new stuff with each viewing.

I can also see why it was so polarizing with people as it was advertised as a horror movie, and it is definitely not a horror movie in the traditional sense at all (But it is Aronofsky so people should have expected some weird-ass shit).

Fair points, I think it helped that I had a few drinks before I watched it so I became engrossed in it from the get go.

And it looks like I'll be watching Blade Runner 2049 tonight. Accidentally rented it while turning off the T.V.

I watched Baby Driver at the movies and remember liking it. It was a different kind of action movie and I thought it was well done.

@Tywin et al. I will still stop and watch Tremors if I come across it on tv. No sequels, but the original was fun.

As to Knightfall. I made it through two episodes and that was painful. Another one I had high expectations for that fell flat.

I enjoyed the crap out of Logan Lucky. It is thoroughly Soderbergh, and is very simply "Oceans 11 with rednecks". How the hell any of them get any of the heist right, who knows. Who cares? The plot is completely absurd. Everyone seems to be having a great time. Adam Driver's friendly moron character is just hilarious after reading a lot of Emo Kylo Ren tweets.

20 hours ago, Nictarion said:

17 hours ago, Mexal said:

They have no taste. Baby Driver is awesome.

Philistines are everywhere these days :P

17 hours ago, briantw said:

I get the complaints with it.  The dialogue isn't great and there's not a whole lot of story.

The protagonist is pretty much a mute though, so I give them a pass on the dialogue. The story is pretty thin, certainly in the beginning, but they put that to rights I think with some clever tricks. 

Spoiler

E.g. I would have expected Spacey or Fox to turn into the big bad, so the Jon Hamm 'twist' was cleverly done

17 hours ago, briantw said:

BUT

Holy shit the cinematography, editing, music, and choreography are all incredible.  It's just a masterfully made film, and it must have been an absolute bitch to choreograph too.  I basically loved every minute of it.  Wasn't a huge fan of how it ended, but everything else was fantastic.

On the ending, I did like that it was 

Spoiler

pretty open-ended. Either Baby was dreaming or it happened for real, but we can't be sure either way.

11 hours ago, dbunting said:

As to Knightfall. I made it through two episodes and that was painful. Another one I had high expectations for that fell flat.

So it doesn't go further into funny-bad territory? :( that's a shame

I watched the first episode of Black Lightning.  I felt like it was the best pilot that I've seen in several years.  The tone is darker and more real compared to the DC-CW show, which imo is a improvement.

Also, I finally found time to watch the first episode of The Amazing Race's current season. I wanted to like it but didn't.  It was the first time that the elimination had to be determined by slow motion replay, which should have been something intense.  Unfortunately, I was just bored.  I wish it had been edited differently.

12 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I watched the first episode of Black Lightning.  I felt like it was the best pilot that I've seen in several years.  The tone is darker and more real compared to the DC-CW show, which imo is a improvement.

Is it connected in any meaningful way to the other DC CW shows? I'm asking because I'm not up to date on any of the Arrowverse shows, and I may check this to see what it's like.

23 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

@Annara Snow No, Black Lightning isn't connected to the other Arrowverse shows in any way.

That's great to hear. People love it, but I really didn't want to catch up with Arrowverse. You sir, are my favorite person of the day :D

7 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Watched about 10 minutes of a Dave Chapelle thing on Netflix before I nearly puked.  I can't imagine what type of person likes his comedy.  He's such a bigot.

He makes fun of everybody, but even though I used to be a fan of him, he has become a shadow of the comedian he used to be. His jokes used to have some truthful aspects to them, but he's lost that.

Just now, Red Tiger said:

He makes fun of everybody, but even though I used to be a fan of him, he has become a shadow of the comedian he used to be. His jokes used to have some truthful aspects to them, but he's lost that.

Yes, that was an excuse he used in his act when he began making harmful, hateful jokes about trans* people.  "But i make fun of everyone, so this is ok, too."  Nope, not how it works. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yes, that was an excuse he used in his act when he began making harmful, hateful jokes about trans* people.  "But i make fun of everyone, so this is ok, too."  Nope, not how it works. 

I don't agree with you, but that's okay.

6 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I don't agree with you, but that's okay.

I'm not sure how that's ok.  If you think all jokes about all people are somehow ok, you have some learning to do.  Just the few minutes I saw revealed an incredibly transphobic man who tells jokes that have real world dangers to people who are transgender.  Here's but one article for why his particular brand of transphobia is so reckless and harmful.  https://www.thedailybeast.com/being-transgender-can-be-funny-but-not-for-the-reasons-dave-chappelle-thinks

Archived