Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

1 hour ago, Seli said:

I binged the second series of (BBC America/Netflix) Dirk Gently. It really works for me. With the first season I lost time to adjusting to the deviation with my mental picture from the books. but I liked it in the end as well.

Watching the first series of iZombie, and it is interesting so far, but is at risk of being crushed by the need to put an overarching plot on a nice concept that doesn't really need it. Which is a common problem in my experience.

I actually find both sides of the iZombie plot entertaining. Brain of the week is always brilliant but imo the overarching story really works too , and they do women interesting things with it. 

Someone (I think probably Werthead) linked to an article on Facebook about Mystery Men a few days which made me realised I'd forgotten most of the film other than thinking I'd enjoyed it so I watched it again today. It's a fun film without being particularly brilliant, the comedy is a bit hit and miss but it has its moments. As the article pointed out it was maybe released at the wrong time, doing a superhero spoof before superhero films had really become popular wasn't the best timing (also, is there anything that dates a film more precisely than a Smashmouth song being played over the closing credits?).

@Nictarion Haven't seen 12YaS or Silence, but have seen Requiem for a Dream, and agree. Great film, but my psyche can do without seeing that again. God damn depressing as hell.

Finally saw Fantastic Beasts the other night. It was enjoyable but nothing more than that. A solid 7 if I had to put a numerical grade on it. The cast was likable enough. Colin Farrell was good, but wish he was in it more, and Redmayne is solid. Depp playing Grindelwald seems contrived. Wish they could've found someone else, but that was a small sample size for him so I'll hold off on anymore judgment. Overall, happy that the franchise found a breath of life to continue on. Yates, Kloves, Heyman and Rowling should be able to make it interesting and unique enough for the rest of the series (I hope).

Carol is on Netflix so I finally watched it.  Have to say I wasn't all that impressed.  It's probably one of those films where my expectations were simply too high.  I can't even put my finger on exactly what disappointed me.  I think it all just seemed so obvious how it would progress and how it would end.  I also found many of Carol and Therese's interactions to be not very believable.  I didn't believe that these women were friends, much less love each other.

Also, I don't know how 1950s car radios work but something about Carol turning on the radio right before going through the tunnel and then that station staying active throughout the entire long tunnel scene really irritated me.  That's not how it works.  Even today you'll tend to drop radio and calls in a tunnel (though advances are made to maintain cell phone signals in some underground passageways).  I couldn't stop thinking about it.  It was such a pivotal moment in the movie, they go through the tunnel and emerge differently.  But it felt ruined by that stupid radio.  

I watched The Devil’s Candy on Netflix. Pretty good. It’s one of the better horror movies I’ve seen in the last few years. Ethan Embry (who I mostly know as Rusty Griswold in Vegas Vacation) was great in it. Took me a while to even realize who he was. 

19 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Carol is on Netflix so I finally watched it.  Have to say I wasn't all that impressed.  It's probably one of those films where my expectations were simply too high.  I can't even put my finger on exactly what disappointed me.  I think it all just seemed so obvious how it would progress and how it would end.  I also found many of Carol and Therese's interactions to be not very believable.  I didn't believe that these women were friends, much less love each other.

I find Carol to be one of the most impressive movies in quite some time and I found it so captivating. I think the artistry of the movie is truly amazing and the performances were among the best I have seen from both actresses. Some don't like the theatricality of Blancehtt's acting in last several years, but I think it can be used perfectly, and Carol was one example of that. Give the source material, I think they elevated it but also managed to demonstrate what it was for LGBTQ population in 1950s. I remember them talking how everything had to be done through glances and what courage it must have been to act upon those glances and signals. The cast is amazing and I truly enjoyed every second of it.

BTW, has anyone watched The Chi? The new SHOWTIME TV series?

22 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Started watching "The End of the F***ing World" and I recognized one of the detectives but I couldn't place her. I just realized, it's HBOs Yara!

Yeah I'm checking this out too. I'm about half way through and think it's good, but not great. Still, it's an interesting and unique concept.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah I'm checking this out too. I'm about half way through and think it's good, but not great. Still, it's an interesting and unique concept.

I finished it last night. Kind of easy to do when it's 8 episodes of about 20 minutes each. I enjoyed it, though I'm disappointed they decided to end it on a cliffhanger. Hopefully that means a season 2 will be forthcoming.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

I find Carol to be one of the most impressive movies in quite some time and I found it so captivating. I think the artistry of the movie is truly amazing and the performances were among the best I have seen from both actresses. Some don't like the theatricality of Blancehtt's acting in last several years, but I think it can be used perfectly, and Carol was one example of that. Give the source material, I think they elevated it but also managed to demonstrate what it was for LGBTQ population in 1950s. I remember them talking how everything had to be done through glances and what courage it must have been to act upon those glances and signals. The cast is amazing and I truly enjoyed every second of it.

You know I almost didn't post about Carol because I just knew it was likely that you'd come in and claim it was the best ever, which that's your opinion.  I'm just glad that this time it didn't end this time with something like "and my love of Carol is evidence that I'm very pro-LGBT."

I was trying to watch something on netflix but I must have been clicking to quick and it went to 13 Reasons Why.  I was halfway through the first episode before I concluded the show I thought I chose was shit.  Then realized it wasn't the show I thought it was.  But 13 Reasons Why might still be shit.  Did anyone watch?

I've watched two episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel each of the past two nights.  Excellent stuff so far, especially episode three.  If I had known it was an Amy Sherman-Palladino show I would have watched it much sooner.  I do wonder if Joan Rivers exists in this universe.

Watched "Molly's Game" a while ago. Awesome movie and very Sorkin. Wait until you see the movie before you google the celebrities in the movie, as that is part of the fun. Going to see "The Post" soon.

About to watch Magicians, the Assassination of Gianni Versace: Crime Story, and the the Alienist. Which reminds me, I need to get my winter tv schedule in order. This is often the best time of year for TV these days.

9 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

You know I almost didn't post about Carol because I just knew it was likely that you'd come in and claim it was the best ever, which that's your opinion.  I'm just glad that this time it didn't end this time with something like "and my love of Carol is evidence that I'm very pro-LGBT."

Do I need to watch certain movies and TV shows to be, "very pro-LGBT"? Is there a list? :D 

In this case, I love Carol for its artistry, it being the wonderful adaptation and amazing performances. It does point out certain things about LGBT and the perception of female films in the Hollywood, but that is pretty much that.

Lastly, I liked "Notes on the Scandal"... One can only imagine what it says about me ;) 

Finished up season one of The Expanse and starting in on season two.  Love the casting for Fred Johnson (Cutty, baby!), but I hate the weird accent he uses.  Fred Johnson is from Earth, so was there really any need to make the guy use an accent?  Why not just let the actor use his normal voice?

Not a fan of the casting of Holden or Amos, although Amos has grown on me.  Pictured both guys as a little older.

Has anyone watched Runaways?  Not sure if I want to get into another comic book show, but if it's good, maybe I'll give it a shot.

8 hours ago, Risto said:

Do I need to watch certain movies and TV shows to be, "very pro-LGBT"? Is there a list? :D 

No, which is why it was so ridiculous that you have several times used your love of Carol to prove you were pro LGBT. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So is James Franco done?

Gods I hope so.  I never understood his appeal as an actor because he fucking sucks and now listening to him trying to deny at least a handful of women...  He's toast.  

26 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

No, which is why it was so ridiculous that you have several times used your love of Carol to prove you were pro LGBT. 

And can you imagine my surprise to even hear that? I sincerely have nothing to prove regarding LGBT. Carol is one of those movies I love for various reasons: acting, beautiful screenplay, faithful adaptation etc. Least of which can be argued as proof of my "pro-LGBT sentiments". Furthermore, I doubt there is anything that anyone can use to make a point whether I am "pro" or "against" LGBT, let alone to make judgement about the image I want people to have. With or without Carol, I believe in respecting human rights, civil liberties,  equality. But, that, as I believe, is a topic for private discussion, not for a thread about what we are watching right now. You know where you can get me :D   

@Dr. Pepper, I finally remembered what you talked about. That entire "Moonlight" thing was mishandled and it was rather unfortunate. However, I didn't use "Carol" as my "pro-LBGT" sentiments, more like a pointing out I have no problems with LGBT-movies, which, IIRC, I was accused of. 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Not a fan of the casting of Holden or Amos, although Amos has grown on me.  Pictured both guys as a little older.

Both are age appropriate.  In fact, by the time season three rolls the actor will be a several years older than their book counterparts.

Archived