Samwell and his father

Warren of Skagos

Eventually Sam is going to see his father in person again, how will go considering the following. Sam is a man of the Nights Watch, lost tons of fat and replaced it with muscle, has been beyond the wall and fought in battles. Further he has killed a white walker and is known as sam the slayer. However is still somewhat craven and is becoming a maester. Now will Lord Tarly have new found respect and admiration for his son or will he not believe or not care.  Your thoughts.

10 minutes ago, Warren of Skagos said:

In a feast for crows, while on the boat sam is reflecting how he isnt as fat anymore and has out muscle on his chest

Don't remember that, but now I'm curious to read it again. 

I doubt it will be any different than the train wreck we imagine it will be.   Sam really can't do anything to earn his father's respect.  Pops has already given Sam's inheritance to Dickon and Sam has forfeited everything by joining the NW.   It will suck. 

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Is it Randyll Tarly week? :eek:

Of course! Didn't you get the memo? ;)

I hope they don't meet again, either. His interactions with Brienne in AFfC shows he is everything Sam said he was and worse. A highly-skilled veteran commander (credit where it's due) but a thoroughly unpleasant human being... the sort of character where I think even half-smile would crack his face.

4 hours ago, Warren of Skagos said:

Your thoughts.

I think we'll see a heat wave in the Lands of Always Winter before Randyll Tarly gives Samwell his due or affords him any credit.

This is a man who threatened to have his own son meet with an "accident" unless he took the Black, after all. He's still soft-hearted, bookish and not fond of the blood and violence his father despised him for -- his cowardice and overeating might even have been a by-product of his father's treatment of him.

At best, he terrified his son into believing he really would kill him. At worst, he literally intended to organise his own son's death just so he could diddle him out of his inheritance. In the end, he'll manage to find something to hate about Sam.

I think Sam and Randyll will meet again in Oldtown for "Atonement with the Father" part of the hero's journey. I think it will be more Luke and Vader, with Sam and his Dad fighting. Force is one of the few things Randyll understands. 

Randyll and Dickon Tarly will be killed at Storm's End early in Dance. Jon Connington will take Heartsbane for Aegon. Although Samwell has taken the black there might be an opportunity for him to have Mance's son, held out as his own, legitimized and made lord of Horn Hill with the return of Heartsbane in exchange for House Tarly's support of Aegon. 

I believe they will meet again but lord Tarly will still a dick especially when he learns Sam is training to become a maester of the Citadell, Randyll wont believe that Sam killed a WW or even that WW exist. The best Sam can hope for is Randyll takes Mances child thinking he is Sam's bastard and raises him to at least become a knight, I think both Randyll and Dickon Tarly both die fighting the golden company unfortunately because Dickon seems like a really nice kid who still loves his coward of a brother. Who holds Hornhill at the end ? Who knows but it definitely wont be Sam the slayer unless the Nights Watch is ended completely then Sam by all rights is heir. 

50 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

I believe they will meet again but lord Tarly will still a dick especially when he learns Sam is training to become a maester of the Citadell, Randyll wont believe that Sam killed a WW or even that WW exist. The best Sam can hope for is Randyll takes Mances child thinking he is Sam's bastard and raises him to at least become a knight, I think both Randyll and Dickon Tarly both die fighting the golden company unfortunately because Dickon seems like a really nice kid who still loves his coward of a brother. Who holds Hornhill at the end ? Who knows but it definitely wont be Sam the slayer unless the Nights Watch is ended completely then Sam by all rights is heir. 

I pretty much agree with this assessment.  Yes, Randyll will refuse to believe anything that speaks of Sam's actual valor.  He clearly despises his intellectual prowess, even more so than Tywin with Tyrion.  Tywin at least admitted that Tyrion could be a capable politician, granted he gave him the Hand "temporary" job because there was no other "qualified" person available, although all things considered he could have chosen Kevan... Still, slightly digressing here.  To top it all, he even considers being a Maester a disgrace for the family lol  Despite the fact, like Podrick, unlikely as they both appeared at first have done heroic stuff, he will not get the recognition from his father, from the rest of his family or even his brother, mayhaps...

The only think that I think could change Randyll's mind is if Sam repeated the feat of killing an Other in front of him or saving his life (Randyll's) which I think Sam would do despite how he has been treated but this is rather unlikely.  Even so, Randyll would probably just put it down to "luck."  Sam represents everything he despises; bookish, fat. outwardly cowardly...  A life time of prejudice towards him is unlikely to change quickly.

Will they meet, I would love for them to do so just like a look forward to a number of other awkward reunions such as Arya/Sandor, Tyrion/Jaime, Jaime/Bran etc.  I could go a bit like in the show.  In the books he is still intending to get Gilly and the baby to Hornhill... and who knows he may refuse to believe her unless Sam is there to "confess" in person or something...

I am convinced though that the Night Watch will either cease to exist by the end of the series or be transformed into something else and certainly an Order where celibacy is not required.  There are going to be huge human casualties and the rebuilding era, like in real life after any huge conflict, involves a necessary baby boom.  Society, more often than not, adapts to practical needs like this so I am convinced that he will marry Gilly and that they will get her real child back, possibly both children actually, depending on what truly happens with Mance.  Will he inherit Hornhill???  Possible, I would not say definite but something that would surprise me although I get the hunch (although a bit too much of an easy guess) that he will become High Maester (but again I think we are going to see a lot of celibacy vows abolished due to a necessity to procreate).  Just my two cents for now...

Oh, unlikely, but just an afterthought; if Dickon is killed but Randyll survives, with an impending lack of heirs he may see the child as a potential (never Sam himself) provided either he doesn't know Gilly is a wildling or he chooses to hide the fact from the rest of the world.

On 12/29/2017 at 5:38 PM, Warren of Skagos said:

In a feast for crows, while on the boat sam is reflecting how he isnt as fat anymore and has out muscle on his chest

Samwell is very fat, with dark hair, pale eyes, and a large moon-shaped face.[1] Jon Snow originally estimates Samwell to weigh 20 stone (127 kg/280 lbs)

“They will take anything these days.  Dusky dogs and Dornishmen, pig boys, cripples, cretins, and now a black-clad whale (Sam). And here I 
thought leviathans were grey.”

Sam knew him. “Leo Tyrell.” Saying the name made him feel as if he were still a boy of seven, 
about to wet his smallclothes. “I am Sam, from Horn Hill. Lord Randyll Tarly’s son.”  
  “Truly?” Leo gave him another look. “I suppose you are. 

So he's not as fat as he used to be and Leo doesn't recognize him, but he still calls him a black-clad whale. Doesn't seem like he's lost too much

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

I think Sam will introduce his family to his Free Folk girlfriend and "his son."  Then Randyll will invite them to go out on a celebratory hunting trip.

I don't prescribe to the theory that they will meet again, but if they do I could totally see it ending this way.

23 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Randyll and Dickon Tarly will be killed at Storm's End early in Dance. Jon Connington will take Heartsbane for Aegon. Although Samwell has taken the black there might be an opportunity for him to have Mance's son, held out as his own, legitimized and made lord of Horn Hill with the return of Heartsbane in exchange for House Tarly's support of Aegon. 

I like this theory!  I haven't seen it before, but I think this is a possible way to make Aegon more formidable and rid us of Randyll and Dickon so as to but Horn Hill up for grabs.

Archived