Was Robert doomed to fail from the start?

Varysblackfyre321

22 hours ago, Giants Nemesis said:

Robert dealt with the Greyjoy Rebellion. I would call that a success. Who could possibly be able to stop Balon from proclaiming himself a king? :)

Viserys was not a major threath for Robert, Danny was. Robert was unaware of that, but the instant he hears about her marriage to Khal Drogo he wants to kill her and her child. I suppose one would call that a reasonable decision for a medieval apsolutist monarch wishing to retain its position. 

Dorne never openly rebelled and did not harm Robert in any way.

When speaking in terms of failure, I can't agree on pinching the term to the ruler who did not bring misery to his subjects nor was defeated by his political opponents ("I love you, Ned and Lyanna-moto" was his flaw). Although, because of her later position, one could name Cersei his political oponent as well, certainly the unexpected one. But, the king outsmarted only by his lady queen is not a failure. 

He took the Seven Kingdoms from a surplus to a massive deficit in less than two decades, he left the realm with a crisis of succession that would ruin not only his own house, but at least two of the three great houses that supported him during the rebellion.

There's also the fact that he nearly forced Khal Drogo's hand, by attempting to kill his wife, bringing his attention to the Seven Kingdoms as opposed to deterring his westward ambitions.

How was he not a failure?

1 hour ago, Jon_Stargaryen said:

He took the Seven Kingdoms from a surplus to a massive deficit in less than two decades, he left the realm with a crisis of succession that would ruin not only his own house, but at least two of the three great houses that supported him during the rebellion.

There's also the fact that he nearly forced Khal Drogo's hand, by attempting to kill his wife, bringing his attention to the Seven Kingdoms as opposed to deterring his westward ambitions.

How was he not a failure?

The succession crisis was partly Cersei’s fault, since she aborted every single time he tried out of spite. How she was able to take that much moon tea is beyond me, considering that even one dose can be near-fatal and lead to nasty reproductive complications. Just ask Lysa Tully-Arryn.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it questionable and I suspect Preston Jacobs is right when he suggests that Robert could not have been responsible for the massive deficits the Throne has. Either Littlefinger created them or they were already there. It's not like Robert was fighting wars (except for one) or embarking on massive public works projects. Either it's a conspiracy or GRRM just didn't think it through.

I think Robert is a flawed enough man and King when we discover that his disinterest in courtly life allowed schemers to run his Kingdom and prep it for civil war.

6 hours ago, Sourjapes said:

I find it questionable and I suspect Preston Jacobs is right when he suggests that Robert could not have been responsible for the massive deficits the Throne has. Either Littlefinger created them or they were already there. It's not like Robert was fighting wars (except for one) or embarking on massive public works projects. Either it's a conspiracy or GRRM just didn't think it through.

I think Robert is a flawed enough man and King when we discover that his disinterest in courtly life allowed schemers to run his Kingdom and prep it for civil war.

The treasury was bursting with gold at the start of his rain-largely because under the years of Aerys Tywin was the one to manage the kingdom, and he shit enough gold to fill it-nearly two decades of of tournaments that cost millions of crowns to hold each, I honestly don't see it as so surprising Robert spent the treasury-I mean I'm sure LF was embezzling wherever he could but no one really expresses suspicion over how much money has been lost.

I think Robert could of been a better person if his wife just loved him and vice versa, not the best king, but not as bad as he was. Even with all his flaw's he did a lot,  he took down a regime that lasted for a long time, put down a rebellion and brought peace, after such a uncertain  time. I think the fact that kingdom went poor because he had a lot of feast, is a bit odd. And if something else wasn't at play it is strange. End of the Day it was a mistake to make him king, We don't even know if he wanted it back then, (I don't think he did.) He was a Warrior not a ruler, A leader in the field of battle. Not on a throne.

Archived