Who would be the best King from the WoFK

Bloodstone Emperor

2 hours ago, Bloodstone Emperor said:

Although Robb Stark is my definite favorite character from the war, I wonder if more experienced leaders like Stannis and Balon may be better than Robb would have been. What do you think?

The best would be without a doubt renly. He knows how KL Works, has lots of support is flexible enough to find compromisse with his opponents instead of going to war against everybody and isn t crazy nor a pirate.

9 minutes ago, Aegon VII said:

He's not one of the five but I think grrm is clearly setting up Jon as the ultimate/ best ruler. Mance is up there too though

I don t know if he is the best, but to me he seems like the ruler westeros will need. Jon's arc seems to be about unifying diferent people and by the end of the story westeros will be a mix of diferent people from several places in the world

If Renly buckles down and takes responsibility he would have the potential to be the best king. Robb is competent but inexperienced and makes plenty of mistakes. Stannis is too brittle and unlikeable to effectively exert his power and his succession would be a big problem. Balon never really impressed me, he was cunning in attacking the North but then just sat around twiddling his thumbs. And Joffrey should’ve been drowned at birth.

If I could pick anyone right now it would be Tywin, he can be a ruthless, even cruel person, but no one can doubt his ability as a leader and a ruler.

The crazy pirate?  The hot young kid?  The fashionista?  The R'hllorist? The sadistic jerk?   

Nah, I wish Robert would have lived long enough to avoid the whole thing.  

Don't tell the Stannis The Mannis fans I called him a R'hllorist.  

6 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

The crazy pirate?  The hot young kid?  The fashionista?  The R'hllorist? The sadistic jerk?   

Nah, I wish Robert would have lived long enough to avoid the whole thing.  

Don't tell the Stannis The Mannis fans I called him a R'hllorist.  

Balon wasn't crazy(cruel yes but not crazy), and his plan did have some merits. And really while he loved to dress to impress, Renly did show himself to be more. And Robert wasn't going to live forever (8 bucks says he'd kill his liver or have a heart attack if Cersi didn't kill him in about 3 or 5 more years), his rule was powder keg waiting to go off. 

2 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Balon wasn't crazy(cruel yes but not crazy), and his plan did have some merits. And really while he loved to dress to impress, Renly did show himself to be more. And Robert wasn't going to live forever (8 bucks says he'd kill his liver or have a heart attack if Cersi didn't kill him in about 3 or 5 more years), his rule was powder keg waiting to go off. 

My problem with Balon is the culture.   He wanted the old way, not to assimilate.  He wanted to be king of his own little world, not the realm.   Balon wasn't suited in any way.  Renly is the superior choice, but it wasn't his turn.  He should have done it respectfully and let his older brother have his turn at bat and systematically kill off all of those Baratheons.   Robb was too young as is evidenced by his poor decision making.  Stannis would have been a really good interim ruler--until Renly had him assassinated.   Stannis would have cleaned Kings Landing up and got everything in line.   Probably burned much of the population but chalk that up to dragon drills.   We really only needed Robert to make it another month.   Ned was right there understanding what was going on.   Once Cersei and her children were exiled it would have been easier for pretty much anyone except Balon to take over. 

Renly Baratheon seemed to be the best at uniting differing people's. He also seemed to understand the ends and outs of leadership, and was a capable game player as well as leader. He had the same gift Robert did for winning the hearts of his people, but would much more capable once in power. Balon would be a truly awful King, I'm sorry but he was no different than any other random reaver. He had no hope of every holding any castle he captured in the North longterm. If his plan had simply been to destroy Robb Stark chance of competing with the Lannisters, than I guess he was good at that. Robb is so young it is hard to say. His kingdom was only to be the North and the Riverlands and he was certainly liked in the area. We don't have a lot of evidence for how he would have been as a peacetime King though. My guess is he would have been capable though, listening to his advisors and then making sound decisions. Again, he is no Renly (the best option in my opinion) but I don't think he would have been a disaster either. Stannis as of ADwD seems to have changed a lot since ACoK, so I am unsure what kind of King he would be. However, he often seems to think everyone is idiots. This is probably not the kind of King that will ever inspire much love from his people. I think Stannis could even see popular uprisings during his Kingship as lord's just would never grow to love the man. Do I even need to talk about Joffrey? He was an idiot and a monster. Essentially, shall we say, the Donald Trump of Kings. Thinks he is really great even as his polls go lower and lower. Boasts a lot despite having no abilities at leadership whatsoever. 

Side Note : Davos would make a good King if the people of Westeros could ever accept a man born a commoner. So would someone like Beric Dondarrian, however he may be similar to Aegon V, constantly fighting the lords over their rights. 

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

Renly is the superior choice, but it wasn't his turn.  He should have done it respectfully and let his older brother have his turn at bat and systematically kill off all of those Baratheons

Renly didn't even know Stannis's plan to overthrow Joffery before making his own claim to kingship. Stannis literally told no one what he and Arryn found out the Twincest, Remly decision to actually announce his bid was due to self-preservation, he tried to get Ned to take over but when that didn't work he went to the Tyrells and they agreed to a deal to get him a crown if he gave them his hand in marriage. For all Renly knew if he went to Stannis his older brother wouldn't have agreed to his plan. And even after Stannis announced his kingship, eh fuck Stannis, Renly has a far better chance of survival with the Tyrells  and would make a better king than his older brother who he has no love. Seriously, Renly is not going to risk his life for Stannis by virtue of him having popped out of their mother's vagina first.

11 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Renly didn't even know Stannis's plan to overthrow Joffery before making his own claim to kingship. Stannis literally told no one what he and Arryn found out the Twincest, Remly decision to actually announce his bid was due to self-preservation, he tried to get Ned to take over but when that didn't work he went to the Tyrells and they agreed to a deal to get him a crown if he gave them his hand in marriage. For all Renly knew if he went to Stannis his older brother wouldn't have agreed to his plan. And even after Stannis announced his kingship, eh fuck Stannis, Renly has a far better chance of survival with the Tyrells  and would make a better king than his older brother who he has no love. Seriously, Renly is not going to risk his life for Stannis by virtue of him having popped out of their mother's vagina first.

Whoa there.  I think I may have chosen a better way for the sentence to go.   What I should have or meant to type was Renly should have waited his turn.   Stannis would have cleaned up Kings Landing.   Once the table was cleared, Renly should have then dispatched Stannis' line of the Baratheons.   Better?  

I agree with the majority of your sentiment as I stated that Renly would have made the better king.   He would have been solid if he had simply waited his turn.   Renly was a schemer.  He understood the game.  He could have worked Stannis as King to his advantage if he was running that game.  Remember Renly was willing to back Ned.   Had he really thought his plan through he could have supported Stannis in the short term and come out alive in the end. 

12 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Side Note : Davos would make a good King if the people of Westeros could ever accept a man born a commoner. So would someone like Beric Dondarrian, however he may be similar to Aegon V, constantly fighting the lords over their rights. 

I agree in principal that Davos would make a very fine ruler.   However, at the time of the WO5K Davos couldn't even read and needed the experience he eventually gains in Stannis' service.  When I think of kings and queens I think of councils and influence.   Davos didn't have that, either.   Long and short, while I adore Davos I think he is in the right position--Hand.  That gives him the autonomy he needs to get things done.   

Really interesting comparison between Beric and Aegon.   Love to see a topic on that hint hint. 

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Because?

Because Noye had the right of it, "And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day".

Renly is too vain and too interested in himself to be a good king. I can see him as a good king only if he is just a figurehead w/ someone else calling the shots.

23 hours ago, Bloodstone Emperor said:

Although Robb Stark is my definite favorite character from the war, I wonder if more experienced leaders like Stannis and Balon may be better than Robb would have been. What do you think?

Optimus Prime. Only he has the matrix of leadership 

I believe Stannis would have surprised some people with effective leadership.  He would have "drained the swamp" and helped root out the corruption in the 7K as well as provided justice for the smallfolk.  While is is described as uncompromising he is actually shown to be particularly willing to bend on various issues and open minded even if he doesn't directly acknowledge it.

Archived