Who would be the best King from the WoFK

Bloodstone Emperor

4 minutes ago, Ser Snowflake said:

Renly would have been worse than Joffrey?

How so? I have a suspicion that you may be a troll.

No one would have been worse than .Joffrey. I never even considered him tbh, only the ohers, namely Robb, Balon, Stannis, Renly. But yeah, knock yourself out and peg me for a troll. I am soooooo worried. . :rolleyes:

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Because Noye had the right of it, "And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day".

Renly is too vain and too interested in himself to be a good king. I can see him as a good king only if he is just a figurehead w/ someone else calling the shots.

Can you imagine stannis closing all the brothels in KL? Making people convert to r'hllor?

Stannis on the throne would lead to a religious war. He is by far the worst!

17 minutes ago, divica said:

Can you imagine stannis closing all the brothels in KL? Making people convert to r'hllor?

Stannis on the throne would lead to a religious war. He is by far the worst!

Where did I say he would be the best? 

And that's not even accurate, b/c even in the North he has already given up on trying to convert people. It's a common misinterpretation of Stannis, actually. He's not a religious fanatic, he's not even into religion. He is using Mel b/c he acknowledges she has powers but that's it in terms of his religious beliefs- or lack thereof. Whatever Stannis' shortcomings are - and he has plenty of those - being a religious zealot is not one of them. 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And that's not even accurate, b/c even in the North he has already given up on trying to convert people. It's a common misinterpretation of Stannis, actually. He's not a religious fanatic, he's not even into religion. He is using Mel b/c he acknowledges she has powers but that's it in terms of his religious beliefs- or lack thereof. Whatever Stannis' shortcomings are - and he has plenty of those - being a religious zealot is not one of them. 

What do think the smallfolk would do when their king converts to a new religion? and the faith of the seven?

Do you think both religions would accept each other? I can t see the septons not fighting the red priests...

On the onther hand renly is the cool dude to mantain the status quo. I can t imagine a single problema that would arise if renly became king.

3 minutes ago, divica said:

What do think the smallfolk would do when their king converts to a new religion? and the faith of the seven?

Do you think both religions would accept each other? I can t see the septons not fighting the red priests...

On the onther hand renly is the cool dude to mantain the status quo. I can t imagine a single problema that would arise if renly became king.

We can agree to disagree on this one. :)

Honestly, they would all have sucked.

Renly would've buckled under pressure whenever it arrived.

Robb would've continued to make dumb decisions.

Stannis may not have actually forced people to convert, but he did allow Mel to burn statues of the 7 and the Weirwood at Storms End.  A religious war would've ensued.

Balon, is that a joke?

Joffrey, again that must be a joke.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

No one would have been worse than .Joffrey. I never even considered him tbh, only the ohers, namely Robb, Balon, Stannis, Renly. But yeah, knock yourself out and peg me for a troll. I am soooooo worried. . :rolleyes:

Mission Accomplished :ph34r:

It's a fun question, and since it's been a long time between books, there are poster who've come and gone so why not let some new blood share their thoughts?

Personally, I don't have a concrete answer.  It would vary greatly depending on my personal circumstances and where I lived.

Joffrey might be a horrible King and even worse person, but if I heir to Crakehall, I'd probably back Joffrey/Tywin.  If I were smallfolk, I wouldn't care.

I can't see myself backing Stannis under any circumstances.

If I were Ironborn, I could see myself supporting Balon's decision to set the reavers free, but I'd have had problems with his decision to attack the North.  The easy loot is in the West and Reach.

Robb Stark is a dilemma.  He's a disruptor.  He wasn't trying to take the Iron Thrown.  After his victories he was crowned the King in the North and the Riverlands jumped in too.  If I were smallfolk I'd probably just support whoever I thought gave me the best chance of not getting killed and the local lands trampled.  If I were a lord like the Greatjon or Wyman Manderly I'd go with Robb.  

If I wanted the most peaceful life, I'd say Renly is the best choice.  He was probably the only one of the contenders who had the ambition and charisma to hold the Seven Kingdoms together.

11 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yes Stannis himself isn't a fanatic-far from it he actually appears more an anti-thesist than really anything. He's still going to cause a holy war-he's burned the 7 to appease the red God and allowed his followers to burn the weretrees and I don't see him acting much diffrently to when he gets the throne. Like, if Melisandre is the one to annoint him (which she probably is), there will be war. 

None of the five would have made for a good king.  The ruler that comes closest to ideal is gaining experience in Essos, Daenerys Targaryen.  Dany is the one that I would choose and support to rule.  She is better than any other alternative. 

Robb would be the best, mainly by default.  I don't think he'd be very good due to his penchant for bad decisions, but out of all the candidates he's the only one who could maybe have the right balance of being feared and loved.  I tend to think Noye's description of Renly and Stannis is spot-on, Renly is a pale imitation of Robert who looks the same but doesn't have near the qualities that made Robert a leader.  Stannis is forever in Robert's shadow and could never find a way to be loved.  And Balon and Joffrey are obviously psycopaths so they wouldn't make good kings.

18 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Honestly, they would all have sucked.

Renly would've buckled under pressure whenever it arrived.

Robb would've continued to make dumb decisions.

Stannis may not have actually forced people to convert, but he did allow Mel to burn statues of the 7 and the Weirwood at Storms End.  A religious war would've ensued.

Balon, is that a joke?

Joffrey, again that must be a joke.

Yes, they all sucked.  Somebody mentioned Jon and he too would suck.  He sucked at the wall, he would suck as a king. 

Joffrey sucks but with Tywin as his Hand the realm would prosper.  You can have a sucky king if the cabinet is able.  Tywin was running the kingdom for Joffrey and he found a way to put down the Stark rebellion. 

The Baratheons boys cut their own throats when Stannis assassinated Renly.  Robert has only started to rot and his brothers were already fighting over the throne. 

Stannis sucked but he wouldn't be too terrible.  Burning his own men for trying to survive raises question marks though.  Stannis thinks he's using the red god to serve his ambitions but it's the other way around. 

4 hours ago, Tourbillon Mechanism said:

None of the five would have made for a good king.  The ruler that comes closest to ideal is gaining experience in Essos, Daenerys Targaryen.  Dany is the one that I would choose and support to rule.  She is better than any other alternative. 

I'm on board. 

On 12/31/2017 at 9:33 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Because Noye had the right of it, "And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day".

Renly is too vain and too interested in himself to be a good king. I can see him as a good king only if he is just a figurehead w/ someone else calling the shots.

I wouldn't place too much trust in Noye's evaluations. For a smith he showed little knowledge of metals. Copper is lots more expensive (worth more) than iron, for one thing. He also says that Stannis is iron, hard but brittle. Iron is actually pretty malleable and relatively soft unless it has been given a high carbon content, as in cast iron. And then he says Robert is great, and he turned out to be a lazy, womanizing drunk, though a charming one. 

He's a badass, though, killing Mag the Mighty one-handed. I'll give him that.

3 hours ago, Howlin' Howland said:

During the war the only living person with experience running Westeros, and running it well, was Tywin.  As long as Tywin was alive, working as the Hand, and keeping Joffrey and Cersei out of trouble Joffrey would have been the best king.  After Tywin died...well that's another story.

True. The ideal situation would be Tywin as Hand with Tommen Beetsbane as King instead of Joff. Then when Dany came along she could marry Tommen and they could save the world, together, side by side.

Archived