U.S. Politics. Next?

A True Kaniggit

1 hour ago, Week said:

I want an actual book. 

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

Yep.  What's the over/under on how long it'll take Trump to tweet about how he's responsible for the fantastic sales of this book?  Would it be measured in days...or hours?

Over/under should be tomorrow morning at around the time he starts rage tweeting from his golden toilet. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I’m at a part that actually details how Trump himself was a major leaker. He’d spend hours on the phone in the evenings while in his rooms telling all these people this or that about his day and many had no reason to be loyal or keep quiet. 

I somehow keep getting an audible free trial so I’m listening to it. I hate audio books but the narrator is rather amusing. 

Not shocked at all. Hell, I bet he doesn't even consciously realize he's leaking at times. 

Also, got a link for the free trial? 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I want an actual book. 

Over/under should be tomorrow morning at around the time he starts rage tweeting from his golden toilet. 

Not shocked at all. Hell, I bet he doesn't even consciously realize he's leaking at times. 

They way I get it is when I’m looking at a book on Amazon it will have the free trial button for the audible book. It seems to reset every quarter or something. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I want an actual book. 

Amazon baby, Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Fury-Inside-Trump-White/dp/B077G9ZMTC/ref=sr_1_1_twi_audd_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515203105&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+and+fury

I love how Trump and co are claiming the book to be nothing but lies and yet are also on the warpath against Bannon.  I mean, if the book is lies then wouldn't Trump want people to also think that Bannon didn't actually say these things?  

Also, Jared Kushner is wayyyyy more of an airhead than I ever thought.  

On 1/4/2018 at 1:35 PM, Paladin of Ice said:

Freedom Caucus leaders calling for Sessions to step down over his handling of the Mueller investigation.

Man, I was having fun eating popcorn while watching the back and forth between Trump backers vs Bannon backers on Breitbart the other day, but this takes it to a whole new level. Dare I hope that the ultimate fracturing of the Republican Party is approaching?

A bit shocked no one has said this since this was posted, but this is bad, not good. What they are really after is getting a new AG installed who hasn't recused himself, so that he can immediately fire Mueller.

the book also says that parts of it are untrue and in conflict with itself. Any quotes of the book are already admittedly false by the author.  

Not quite accurate. The author says that the Trump administration and the information they gave him was frequently contradictory and in conflict with each other, which makes sense. Some people gave him only the official line (whatever that was that day) and other people were happy to tell him everything, even stuff that might have been more their own opinion or even outright lies meant to undermine opponents. Bannon's openness with the author seems to have been motivated by his outright hatred and contempt for Jared and Ivanka and it might well be that he went overboard in trying to paint them in a bad light (given his journalistic non-credentials and history, that's pretty likely.

The author has certainly been prone to sensationalism in the past, though, and it makes it difficult to parse what bits of the book are really explosive/useful/interesting and which are just tabloid re-clothing of stuff we already knew. Bannon saying he believed the Russian stuff was massively unwise and potentially illegal is explosive but his opinion is also not really of any legal consequence to the investigation.

59 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Trump has decided to quell fears of his mental state by calling himself a "very stable genius".

Yeah that should do the trick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42589860

According to him he's a stable genius because he won the Presidency on his first try.  So did Obama, W, B. Clinton and others that he forgets about.  Are they stable geniuses as well? 

4 hours ago, Inigima said:

A bit shocked no one has said this since this was posted, but this is bad, not good. What they are really after is getting a new AG installed who hasn't recused himself, so that he can immediately fire Mueller.

Oh yeah, as much as I want to see Sessions gone, him going would be bad for the Mueller investigation, but Sessions seems determined to stay in place no matter what, Trump is unwilling so far to actually fire Sessions, and even though Sessions was an outlier in the Senate I'm sure Senate Republicans don't much care for "one of their own" being attacked, especially by a group that does so little for the party and often actively cause it headaches.

So as long as nothing comes directly of it, let House and Senate Republicans turn on each other. Let the alt-Reich split between #TeamBannon who think Trump is "establishment sellout cuck Donny" and the Trumpettes who label Bannon "Benedict Bannon". Let Bannon feel as though his movement is dying so he becomes desperate enough to do something like trying to tear down Trump to elevate himself.

And let it all happen right now, when they desperately need unity and to close ranks.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

From the link:

Donald Trump's presidential campaign of 2000 for the nomination of the Reform Party began when real estate magnate Donald Trump of New York announced the creation of a presidential exploratory committee on the October 7, 1999 edition of Larry King Live.

Bwa-hahahahaha!   Takes real genius to forget about that.    :lol:

2 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Oh yeah, as much as I want to see Sessions gone, him going would be bad for the Mueller investigation, but Sessions seems determined to stay in place no matter what, Trump is unwilling so far to actually fire Sessions, and even though Sessions was an outlier in the Senate I'm sure Senate Republicans don't much care for "one of their own" being attacked, especially by a group that does so little for the party and often actively cause it headaches.

So as long as nothing comes directly of it, let House and Senate Republicans turn on each other. Let the alt-Reich split between #TeamBannon who think Trump is "establishment sellout cuck Donny" and the Trumpettes who label Bannon "Benedict Bannon". Let Bannon feel as though his movement is dying so he becomes desperate enough to do something like trying to tear down Trump to elevate himself.

And let it all happen right now, when they desperately need unity and to close ranks.

To your first point; I remember that in the beginning of 2017, there was a lot of talk about the schism between the WH and the Senate. I have to wonder if that point is a bit dated at this point, with so many Senators clearly on board the Trump train. It feels like the more time passes, the more we're seeing Congress consolidate around Trump rather than being its own institution with its own principles, history and agenda.

As to the second, I have yet to see any evidence that there's a sizable faction taking Bannon's side against Trump over this. Check out the Breitbart articles on Fire and Fury; everyone seems to either be throwing Bannon under the bus or blaming the MSM for creating a fake feud between the two. I really think Bannon is the only loser here, which is a shame for the rest of us since he's so easily replacable with 10+ prominent alt-righters ready to continue his agenda, maybe even some more, ahem, presentable ones.

An interesting point made by a lawyer on CNN. We've all seen how Trump constantly says 'there's no collusion' over and over and over again.

The lawyer (missed his name) pointed out that a tactic used by Nixon was to keep hammering on something true, the fact that he had no advance knowledge of the Watergate break-in. He ignored all other accusations, just kept repeating a demonstrably true fact.

Trump may not have colluded, but is staying silent about other topics, like money laundering. He's also drawn a line at anyone looking at his bank accounts.

39 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

An interesting point made by a lawyer on CNN. We've all seen how Trump constantly says 'there's no collusion' over and over nd over again.

The lawyer (missed his name) pointed out that a tactic used by Nixon was to keep hammering on something true, the fact that he had no advance knowledge of the Watergate break-in. He ignored all other accusations, just kept repeating a demonstrably true fact.

Trump may not have colluded, but is staying silent about other topics, like money laundering. He's also dran a line at anyone looking at his bank accounts.

He won't show his bank accounts for the same reason he won't show his dick. Size matters to him.

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

I also like his analogy on reading:

Indeed.

Can't wait for the Trump reading lists they put out.

Well, this is great news.

And the ACLU has begun to zero in on other races: in Kansas, where conservative Kris Kobach is running for governor; in Wisconsin, to stop Scott Walker from winning another term; and in a slate of races for Republican-held House seats that Democrats are trying to flip. In all, ACLU officials say they expect to get involved in about a dozen races, including for district attorney in California and Texas.

ACLU to storm 2018 midterms
The group is aiming to become the NRA of the left, starting with plans to spend tens of millions in the election.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/06/aclu-2018-midterms-327115

Good bye Republican Party. Don’t let the door hit ya on the ass on your way out!

See ya later. Well, hopefully not.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/01/the-republican-party-is-in-full-on-panic-mode-and-we-get-to-watch/

But at the level of the Republican Party, there was nothing flukish about it. Trump led the primary race from the start. He serially demolished a field that would normally have been considered pretty strong. And he did it despite the almost unanimous opposition of party regulars. Trump very plainly tapped into something very real in the Republican rank-and-file psyche.

My take on this is pretty simple. For years it’s been obvious that Republicans are the party of whites and Democrats are the party of nonwhites. This worked fine for a while, but starting in the 90s it became an increasingly weighty albatross and Republicans became increasingly desperate to increase both white turnout and their share of the white vote.

Also, you have to wonder if the trouble started for the Republican Party when Rush Limbaugh got anointed as the leader of conservatism by Reagan himself.

Pack and crack helped. Photo ID laws helped. But these were just pellets in a war dominated by a disastrous decline in party ID in the Bush years that the party never recovered from.

Well, at least some people can learn.

Unfortunately, it turned out that this is what the Republican base wanted, which is why Trump won the nomination easily. Party leaders had no choice but to get aboard, but in the end Trump did lose more white votes than he gained. Compared to 2012, Trump gained among high school grads but lost votes among college grads. When the returns were in, not only did the white share of the vote continue its long decline, but Trump got fewer white votes than Romney.¹ Party leaders had been right: an outright appeal to white racial grievance did more harm than good.

Again, I emphasize the Republican Party can not be permitted to sell this narrative that Trump hit them out of the blue. And they helped to create the situation and when it suited their purposes they went all in with Trump. They'll of course try to rewrite history Ministry of Truth style, but 1984 was not meant to be a "How To" guide.

So here’s the situation:

The Republican Party is screwed. Both their base and the conservative media-industrial complex are all-in on racial grievance-mongering, but it’s clear that this is a losing strategy nationwide that’s only going to get worse. The demographic argument for the GOP’s demise has been a Chicken Little prediction for years, but it’s pretty clear that the sky really is falling now.
By a fluke, they won anyway in 2016.
At the moment, it looks like they’re about to get squashed like bugs in the 2018 midterms.

After the election of Trump it's hard to be optimistic. But, man, it's a good dream.

Archived