Football: “WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT”?

AncalagonTheBlack

Kicker say no bid has been made, but BVB believe Aubameyang has been in contact with another club - which would make sense with the Mislintat connection at Arsenal. Seems like it could be a pretty good move all round with Dortmund getting rid of a troublesome player coming towards the end of his peak for good money, Arsenal making a statement that they are not accepting 6th for the foreseeable future and PEA getting a fresh start & a tonne of money.

10 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

He is fucking useless. If Balague was a journalist in England, he'd work for The Sun.

Haha, I didn’t realise he was that bad. I haven’t seen him get anything wildly wrong, though. Suppose I only ever see him reporting on La Liga, which he seems to be decent at.

8 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Haha, I didn’t realise he was that bad. I haven’t seen him get anything wildly wrong, though. Suppose I only ever see him reporting on La Liga, which he seems to be decent at.

The thing with Balague is that he spouts so much shit that he inevitably ends up getting something right now and again. He is a terrible source for transfers even when it comes to La Liga. It wouldn't surprise me if Don Balon (Spanish equivalent of The Sun) is his source for transfer news.

33 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Bild is a respectable newspaper in Germany

I wouldn't go that far. As a German tabloid they're probably a step up from the English tabloids, and certainly for footy stuff seem more reliable, but at the end of the day they're still a tabloid.

Balague is the worst though. It's amazing how often you'll see him write an article about an impending transfer happening or not happening then write literally the opposite article five days later.

25 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Bild is a respectable newspaper in Germany and are usually reliable when it comes to transfers involving German clubs. Maybe Sport Bild,

Bild is a tabloid (a bit like the German Sun if you will). So respectable is probably not the first word that comes mind when you mention that publication. Sport Bild (as the name suggests) is a Bild Offspring that was started some time in the 1990s to rival the Kicker. The difference is, that Sport Bild in tradition with its parent publication is more focused on the Stars, scandal and speculation side of things, while the kicker is the more serious football publication. But you are right with regards to Bild usually being quite well connected within the Bundesliga clubs and knowing their football rumours.

Anyway, the kicker take on the situation with Aubameyang is a bit more cautious. There are speculations at Dortmund that Aubameyang's recent behaviour is an attempt to provoke an immediate transnfer that he has already found a new club. They only go as far as saying that Arsenal would fit his profile for a future club, and that Arsenal could need a new forward, should Sanchez leave the club.

21 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Although the last 3-4 minutes were really nervy, Liverpool had outplayed City for most of the game and created the majority of chances.  Lovren especially (went walk-about for Silva’s goal, stood like a mannequin for Gundogan’s) and Matip were at fault for those but the major catalyst was the withdrawal of Can — who was struggling with an illness — who had shielded the defence from City midfielders running with the ball into our box.  Milner was OK as a sub but doesn’t position himself like #6.  

Andy Robertson was great today, even if he was adjacent to their two late goals.  Joe Gomez is a wonderful player for 88 minutes each game — I’m willing to be patient with a 20yr old who still has fewer than 30 PL appearances; he’ll learn how to spot those dangers.  

That's a bit too kind on Gomes. The first City goal was (mostly) on him. He missed the interception. Once Sane has the ball and some space he is quite hard to stop and so he took Gomes (again) and Matip for a ride. Karius didn't look too good on that goal, as the ball shouldn't have gone in, where it did (at the near post). Not a clear goalkeeper error, but he really didn't look good on that one.

The second was a bit unlucky from Liverpool's perspective. They block Gündogan's attempt and the ball lands in front of Silva, who had little problems to convert.  Maybe Robertson could've stopped that, if he had moved further into the center.

The third was that missed header by Lovren (?).

9 minutes ago, Notone said:

Not a clear goalkeeper error, but he really didn't look good on that one.

If that’s not a clear goalkeeper error I’m not sure what is. It was a horrendous effort at what should have been a reasonably straightforward save.

I’m not a fan of jumping to conclusions on goalkeepers based on one or two incidents but Karius really needs to do something soon to show he’s up to this level.

Whatever Ederson did before Salah's goal. That was a real howler. I know, when you have a sweeping GK things like that can happen. But if you rush out you really should have that ball, and then you really should not play it straight into the opponents feet.

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Pogba's cooking Stoke at the minute. Putting the full range of skills on show.

That double look he gave before passing to Martial for the second goal was funny.  It was like, "Wait, is he really that open for a shot from 20 yards out?" 

58 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I wouldn't go that far. As a German tabloid they're probably a step up from the English tabloids, and certainly for footy stuff seem more reliable, but at the end of the day they're still a tabloid.

50 minutes ago, Notone said:

Bild is a tabloid (a bit like the German Sun if you will). So respectable is probably not the first word that comes mind when you mention that publication. Sport Bild (as the name suggests) is a Bild Offspring that was started some time in the 1990s to rival the Kicker. The difference is, that Sport Bild in tradition with its parent publication is more focused on the Stars, scandal and speculation side of things, while the kicker is the more serious football publication. But you are right with regards to Bild usually being quite well connected within the Bundesliga clubs and knowing their football rumours.

Heh. Okay, didn't know they were a tabloid since I've found them to be quite reliable when it comes to transfers involving German clubs, especially Bayern. Certainly don't think they are anywhere near as ridiculous as The Sun, at least when it comes to the football side of things.

40 minutes ago, Notone said:

That's a bit too kind on Gomes. The first City goal was (mostly) on him. He missed the interception. Once Sane has the ball and some space he is quite hard to stop and so he took Gomes (again) and Matip for a ride. Karius didn't look too good on that goal, as the ball shouldn't have gone in, where it did (at the near post). Not a clear goalkeeper error, but he really didn't look good on that one.

The second was a bit unlucky from Liverpool's perspective. They block Gündogan's attempt and the ball lands in front of Silva, who had little problems to convert.  Maybe Robertson could've stopped that, if he had moved further into the center.

The third was that missed header by Lovren (?).

Gomez was definitely at fault for the first, no denying it.  Even with the strong wind he should have known not to over commit.  But his play throughout the rest of the game was excellent.  A 20yr old defender has plenty of potential to reduce errors with experience.  And, to be fair, after Gomez’ error, Matip was ineffectual one-on-one against Sane, and Karius should not have been beaten at his near post. 

For their second goal, Milner was missing to stop the initial run, Matip was ineffective and then Lovren and Robertson didn’t react very quickly to the loose ball.  No-one made a major mistake but any of them could have prevented it with more alertness, or less tiredness. 

For their third goal, Lovren ran far out of position to track the initial runner, again because Milner was out of position, and then when Lovren rushed back into position he was bizarrely passive in not making a challenge while Gundogan chested down the ball to score.  And Karius didn’t rush out to block the shot in the couple of seconds between chest and foot.   

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

@JordanJH1993

Looks like you got your wish. Both Stone and Ornstein reporting that Chelsea are in for Sanchez. City have dropped their interest.

ETA. actually Ornstein is saying that sources at City believe Chelsea have entered the race. So take that as you will.

I’d love him at Chelsea, and would like to think we had put an offer in but I can only shake my head as I imagine our petty package compared to Man United. 

Man United will offer Arsenal £35m - maybe even Mkhitaryan to go along with it. Alexis will be offered £350k per week wages. Talks will be positive between Alexis and Man United. Then the light bulb will finally switch on at Chelsea HQ, and Roman will come in at the last minute with a £25m offer to Arsenal and Charlie Musonda on loan (at best). Alexis will be offered £250k per week, max. But...he won’t have to leave sunny London!

In the end, he’ll choose Man United and we’ll end up with Andy Carroll. Or Diafra Sahko - he’s looking a move away and his contract runs up soon. 

Our transfer policy is a shambles. We have people who have no idea about football picking the players while we let our managers - who actually know football and have a clue about the game - have no say at all. We aren’t proactive at all; we are reactive. And half the time we react far too late.

Karius should have done better, but these things happen from time to time. As Liverpool fans and the media has decided he is rubbish he gets slaughtered for things that other keepers rightfully get the benefit of the doubt for. He has done well every time I've seen him in the Champions League where he's had consistency of selection. Despite all the calls for Ward to get a shot, the last thing Liverpool need is a third keeper knowing any slight mistake could see them dropped.

I find it quite funny that Leno is the second most wanted replacement after Oblak. Maybe Karius lacks the mentality for a big club, but he was twice the keeper than Leno in the Bundesliga, who is well into the bottom half of number 1s.

2 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Karius should have done better, but these things happen from time to time. As Liverpool fans and the media has decided he is rubbish he gets slaughtered for things that other keepers rightfully get the benefit of the doubt for. He has done well every time I've seen him in the Champions League where he's had consistency of selection. Despite all the calls for Ward to get a shot, the last thing Liverpool need is a third keeper knowing any slight mistake could see them dropped.

Ederson was worse than Karius yesterday.  His effort at saving the first goal was as poor as Karius first concession, and he directly caused what proved to be the winning goal.  At this point it’s a convenient story to harp on about Liverpool GKs. 

I think Klopp has to give Karius a decent run (Mignolet has to be finished) before deciding in the summer whether to buy a first choice keeper.  

9 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Ederson was worse than Karius yesterday.  His effort at saving the first goal was as poor as Karius first concession, and he directly caused what proved to be the winning goal.  At this point it’s a convenient story to harp on about Liverpool GKs. 

I think Klopp has to give Karius a decent run (Mignolet has to be finished) before deciding in the summer whether to buy a first choice keeper.  

Agreed, Ederson was easily worse. Karius was a statue for all three goals but only the first really deserves any blame and more of it should go to Gomez. 

I think with Van Dijk that game finishes 4-2.  Lovren was shocking on that Gündogan goal. 

Give Karius the rest of the season to prove himself and if he can’t then spend big in the summer on GK. Think we may need to buy a winger or striker this month though. If one of the front three go down with an injury I don’t think Solanke or Ings is ready to fill in and Sturridge is on his way out I think. 

Antonio Conte when asked if Chelsea are trying to sign Alexis Sanchez: 'I don't know, I don't think so.'

Well, that just about sums our transfer policy up. The manager doesn't even know if we are trying to sign a player and doesn't think we will try, either. Meanwhile we make 'contact' with West Ham over an injury prone striker, that has only scored twice this season and can't even get in their starting XI.

Seven years ago Abramovic splashed £50m on Fernando Torres. Liverpool replaced him by spending £35m on Andy Carroll, who turned out to be an even bigger flop at Anfield than Torres was at the Bridge. Now we are trying to sign Carroll from the team Liverpool offloaded him to.

We used to be competitive in the transfer market, but now we are going for a bunch of players no one else wants: Drinkwater, Barkley, Carroll, Zappacosta, Rudiger, Alonso. Some of these players have been good, like Alonso and Rudiger, but we no longer beat the other big teams to players like we used to with Fabregas, Hazard, Willian, Pedro; going back further, the likes of Robben, Cech, Makalele, Ballack. Instead we put up no fight when Man United came in for Lukaku and didn't even challenge Liverpool for Van Dijk, despite Conte admitting he wanted him. Then other players are 'snubbing' us: Oxlade-Chamberlain held out for Liverpool. Even Llorente chose being understudy to the best striker in Europe at Tottenham ahead of coming to Chelsea, where'd he'd have had far more opportunities being understudy to Morata, who was just starting his first season in England.

The redevelopment of our new stadium hasn't even started yet and we are already scraping the barrel. Are we becoming post-Emirates Arsenal?

Archived