Raw water

Larry of the Lawn

This seems a disaster waiting to happen. Even though there are plenty of people who use water from their own wells.

Interestingly bottled mineral and water from protected sources has to be bottled with minimal processing anyway (at least in the Netherlands). Which does seem to mean bottles technically contain raw water as well. But at least in that context companies have stringent obligations to make sure the water they sell is safe.

edit:

And of course there is an EU regulation covering it :)

https://ec.europa.eu/food/safety/labelling_nutrition/mineral_waters_en

With more details http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32009L0054&from=EN

2.   Natural mineral water, in its state at source, may not be the subject of any addition other than the introduction or the reintroduction of carbon dioxide under the conditions laid down in Annex I, Section III.

3.   Any disinfection treatment by whatever means and, subject to paragraph 2, the addition of bacteriostatic elements or any other treatment likely to change the viable colony count of the natural mineral water, shall be prohibited.

Article 5

1.   The revivable total colony count of a natural mineral water at source shall conform to its normal viable colony count and give satisfactory evidence of the protection of the source against all contamination. This total colony count shall be determined under the conditions laid down in Annex I, Section II, point 1.3.3.

Actually, even mineral water can be extensively processed. What you can't do is add minerals. You can extract some, though, and of course carbonate it. Regulations for ordinary bottled water are somewhat laxer. You can add as well as remove minerals to create the desired mix.

As for using water from the well, I don't see what's supposed to wrong with it. Just don't let it sit in bottle for a month before you drink it. Same with tap water, of course. 

Of course not all raw water will cause ill effects, you have to know your water source. I doubt most people jumping on this fad will know how it’s sourced other than what the marketing feeds them. And, of course, the potential for unscrupulous business practices abound. Of course I’m talking about Imp2O, fresh from the Hudson, sold in upcycled glass.

We've got a well with tremendously tasty water at the place we stay in the summer, but there are tests and such done to make sure it's safe. The problem, as Gertrude says, is that fads like this quickly get taken advantage of by crooks. Water is not very well-regulated in the U.S. -- something like 50% of bottled water is tap water that's simply been given some sort of purification and bottled -- and this "raw water" fad is going to not be much different.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

Of course not all raw water will cause ill effects, you have to know your water source. I doubt most people jumping on this fad will know how it’s sourced other than what the marketing feeds them. And, of course, the potential for unscrupulous business practices abound. Of course I’m talking about Imp2O, fresh from the Hudson, sold in upcycled glass.

#NotAllWater

21 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

It's all about the marketing!   Alt-Water, not Fake Water, so edgy it hurts.   

I’m reminded forcibly of Bloosh on Parks and Rec and the latest fad. You’ve had goats milk and almond milk, now try beef milk! 

56 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’m reminded forcibly of Bloosh on Parks and Rec and the latest fad. You’ve had goats milk and almond milk, now try beef milk! 

You've filtered it, boiled it and purified it, now give All Natural, Lactose Free, Gluten Free Raw Water a try!  Guaranteed to stop your pesky constipation.

I wonder if it will occur to anyone to sell Homeopathic Raw Water. Diluted 12 times with ordinary water for maximum effect!

More seriously, I wonder what is it that makes people buy this sort of thing in sufficient quantities to draw the charlatans in the first place. A misplaced desire for something magical or at least pure?

No one has started selling raw water on ebay yet.  I need to save a specific amount by year's end.  I'm legit considering some sort of ebay business where I sell raw water, raw fertilizer, maybe some jesus toast.  Raw Jesus Water.  From the rivers where jesus swam.  So if you see this type of stuff, that's me.  

I love everything about this thread. Thank you my impish (larryish?) friend for posting this remarkable story. I know the bottling of untreated water and selling it as “raw” has thus far been the main focus of this thread, but can we maybe take a few minutes to discuss the fact that this amazing human being/garbage person gave himself a Sikh name? Finding out that he was a white guy was my favorite part of the story.

I don't usually watch vids (too much data), but I skimmed through that one just to see if he took a big gulp of a jug of salt water and tried to act like it was refreshing and so clean.  

Also, the water sounds sounded like he was pissing.

Raw water?  Sounds like a great idea! But what if you have no access to a spring or no trustworthy supplier ?

No need for despair because the Austrian genius Johann Grander invented water revitalization! Link 

Personally I recommend getting rid of your food&fluid addiction though. Breatharianism is the way to go!

Archived