Westeros Experts League 2018

Week

Weird -- didn't know that forum game topics were closing now. Anyways -- continue ... 

On 1/2/2018 at 8:17 AM, @Jaime Lsaid:

2) I'm still a little jet lagged but later this week will start looking in earnest into who is deserving of entry into Experts. 

Uhhh... :uhoh:

:idea:Weren't we going to contract next year to a 8-team league?

:P

20 hours ago, Week said:

Weird -- didn't know that forum game topics were closing now. Anyways -- continue ... 

Uhhh... :uhoh:

:idea:Weren't we going to contract next year to a 8-team league?

:P

We'll hold that vote after we see who made it.

Ok returning Experts:

1) Mya
2) WJ
3) Bronn
4) Me
5) Week
6) Mudguard
7) Dunknegg

Primary Feeder Winners:

W-B - Dracarys
W-C - Jace

Secondary Feeder Winners

W-A - WJ
Thunderdome - Dunknegg

Other Winners

Keeper - Boiled Leather
Dynasty - Manhole Eunuchsbane
Survivor - Mudguard

That's weird. I don't see @Tywin et al. on this list. Someone check my work. He swore he'd make it to Experts so I feel like I messed up. 

Ok, so clearly @Lord Dracarys and @Pony Queen Jace get two of the spots if they're both interested. Congrats, guys. 

That leaves the third spot. There's no obvious candidate for this one. Three potential options I see:

1) @BoiledLeather gets the spot for winning Keeper. 
2) @Manhole Eunuchsbane gets the spot for winning Dynasty 
3) @PyroclasticFlow keeps his spot as the third Jaxomed team as there's no-one else "officially" qualified for Experts.

Keeper/Dynasty/Survivor were not seen as feeders as each use vastly different formats from Experts. However due to the dearth of qualified teams, think they deserve consideration this year.

Overall, I can see a case for any of these 3. To me, two steps from here:

1) Need those 3 candidates to confirm they are interested in consideration for Experts next year. 
2) Of those interested, who do the objective masses think is most deserving? Should we look to secondary considerations? What say you, board?

I would think they'd go  BL, ME then PF.

This was the first year for Keeper, so the format was much less drastically different than it would be if anyone had actual keepers.  That would make the sliver's difference between Keeper and Dynasty, IMO.

11 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

2) Of those interested, who do the objective masses think is most deserving? Should we look to secondary considerations? What say you, board?

Contract to 8 teams and keep Pyro. :P

Seriously though, congrats to Jace and Lord Dracarys and welcome!

For the last spot, I would give a random tossup between BL and ME (assuming they both want to join). We have typically not used Keeper or Dynasty winners as those leagues are fundamentally different from re-draft leagues. 

The other option, again -- should they want it -- would be to bring back Groz or Bluray. Neither of them were "jaxomed", but they did step away for a year voluntarily (well, voluntarily-ish just due to timing, etc.).

And while I do HATE factoring this in, it is more challenging in Manhole's case in that he is currently banned from the board and can't really check in.  He's said that if he gets invites via Yahoo, he'll happily join leagues next year.

42 minutes ago, Week said:

The other option, again -- should they want it -- would be to bring back Groz or Bluray. Neither of them were "jaxomed", but they did step away for a year voluntarily (well, voluntarily-ish just due to timing, etc.).

Interesting thought. Though are you sure those two wouldn't prefer not being invited so Groz can groz about it and Bluray can say "FML"?

40 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

And while I do HATE factoring this in, it is more challenging in Manhole's case in that he is currently banned from the board and can't really check in.  He's said that if he gets invites via Yahoo, he'll happily join leagues next year.

Permaban? What happened? 

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Interesting thought. Though are you sure those two wouldn't prefer not being invited so Groz can groz about it and Bluray can say "FML"?

Valid point.

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

That's weird. I don't see @Tywin et al. on this list. Someone check my work. He swore he'd make it to Experts so I feel like I messed up. 

And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that pesky Pony Queen! 

Seriously, I make it to the championship and my best player tears his calf while Jace's best player has possibly the best game of the year. Weak! Give me AB back and his average performance and Gurley's average performance and I would have defeated her! 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that pesky Pony Queen! 

Seriously, I make it to the championship and my best player tears his calf while Jace's best player has possibly the best game of the year. Weak! Give me AB back and his average performance and Gurley's average performance and I would have defeated her! 

Would

could

should

These are just words, my young one. Let me learn you something good partner. If you step into the ring with Ali don't be surprised when I stick an M80 in your pocket.

I don't have an extreme opinion one way or the other.

Definitely Dracarys & Jace qualified by winning direct feeders.  Not sure what Bluray's situation was but do have an idea of Groz's.  I feel somewhat responsible for "taking" his spot but at least I didn't completely waste the opportunity.

I don't know how either of those two would feel about readmitting an Un-Jaxomed participant were it not them so they would have to speak to that.  For some reason, I think most would feel the honorable thing to do would be to earn one's way back in as that is the premise behind entry.  But the real world is vastly more important than our little fantasy realm and would encourage all to prioritize what really matters.  I won't begrudge either if readmitted if they want to get back in.

Regarding the other league winners, how did they perform in any other leagues they participated in that were feeders....or non-feeders.  I think performance overall should be a factor.  A point system had been discussed, but as long as we limit the number leagues that count due to some not participating in as many leagues for various real world reasons, not just desire, I'm cool with.  Perhaps an average finish in all leagues they participated in (minimum of 2 leagues) would make it a more level playing field?

I was not aware of contraction talk but if that is the route, how would Jaxoming rules change and how would the final spot be determined?  That would seem to limit new blood to me as only 1(or 2) new entry per year would gain entry. 

I do know that not adhering to consistent expectations causes frustration annually...it would be nice to come up with a solution the majority could be content with...no matter what that system is.  Whether that is by ballot similar to selecting the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, gradually eliminating various proposals until there's only one left or some other mechanism.  I don't think the entire onus should be placed on Jamie's shoulders either, not because he wouldn't make a good decision, but so that everyone(suggest current and possibly past Experts participants) has at least a say in the solution, even if they don't ultimately get what they want.

10 hours ago, Dunknegg said:

I was not aware of contraction talk but if that is the route, how would Jaxoming rules change and how would the final spot be determined?  That would seem to limit new blood to me as only 1(or 2) new entry per year would gain entry. 

My joke attempt at needling Jace. :P Which seems to be generally failing.

The point of the process should be the quality of owners who end up in Experts.  That's far more important than perceptions of fairness, IMO.

We don't want owners who screw it up for everyone by autodrafting in auction leagues.
We don't want owners who fail to keep up with their lineups.
We don't want owners who make idiot-f**k trades because "I need to shake things up".
We don't want owners who never respond to trade offers.

And the most likely way to ensure this is to go with the owners we know.  It doesn't take that long to establish a reputation here.  But our worst experiences over the decades has been with owners who come in, win one feeder league then their interest in the boards and the league fades.

One of the BEST things about Westeros A is that it has a relatively stable membership with owners who for the most part can be relied on to take the league seriously.  That it is downgraded as a feeder league because of these things is particularly irksome to me.

7 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

The point of the process should be the quality of owners who end up in Experts.  That's far more important than perceptions of fairness, IMO.

We don't want owners who screw it up for everyone by autodrafting in auction leagues.
We don't want owners who fail to keep up with their lineups.
We don't want owners who make idiot-f**k trades because "I need to shake things up".
We don't want owners who never respond to trade offers.

And the most likely way to ensure this is to go with the owners we know.  It doesn't take that long to establish a reputation here.  But our worst experiences over the decades has been with owners who come in, win one feeder league then their interest in the boards and the league fades.

One of the BEST things about Westeros A is that it has a relatively stable membership with owners who for the most part can be relied on to take the league seriously.  That it is downgraded as a feeder league because of these things is particularly irksome to me.

I thought the main problem people had with Westeros A was that it is an invite-only league?  And, if that's the case, I don't really see why that's a problem?  The format is very similar to other feeder leagues, etc.:dunno:  

12 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

As one who got superfucked by the Trade Rapes last year, I am in favor of deferring to a league vote regarding potential one season wonder admittance into Experts

TRADER APES.

Archived